My Satellite Setup
Dishes : T90, 1.2m dish , motorized 80cm , 60cm dishes & 1.8 prime focus

Receivers : French DIVA HD for french telly and AZ Premium HD+ box

Current project : rebuild the satellite farm in the garden

2011 : C Band
My Location
shrewsbury
Hi all

Im a satellite freak and an apple mac freak but seem to now believe that there are not many applications OSX users can use with their satellite systems.. everything seems to be PC orientated...

or am I wrong..!?

Could someone do a brief idiots guide to satellites and macs as for 3 hrs today I have been trying to find stuff on google but to no avail!

Ideally Id love to control my satellite through my mac and watch on it and record through it.. but dont know where to start ! :-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Theres insufficient demand for software to be ported over to the Mac.

Cant you run an xp emulator on the modern versions of the Apple Mac operating system?

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Elgato eyeTV is the only Mac product I know of.
h__p://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/tuner/310/product1.en.html

aileen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6800 HD. Now died. Protek HD 9750
Motorised 88 cm dish
Installed by Robbo
Mac computers
My Location
S E Kent
That' a big question. I am also a Mac. freak and would not touch Micro**** software again if I could possibly help it. BUT you are somewhat right it does limit sat needs in some respects. I am still battling to find ways round it with the help of one of the clever Mods. on here. Cannot say which one so as not to cause embarrassment.(he's the good looking one ?)
Can't see the point of watching through and recording to, any computer. Apple or otherwise. TV and separate HD suits me. You could purchase Mac software and Windows if you really have to and place on your Mac. (As mentioned above) but expensive just for this subject I feel
The Elgato also mentioned above, is great for FW and recording to your Mac but no good for Sat. use as far as I know. I sometimes use it for recording FW channels.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You can run a dreambox from your Mac using vlc and a web browser.

Watch and record. All you need is a network connection (wireless will do if it's fast enough to stream).

Check out the dreambox idiots guide.

mattsnapper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dishes : T90, 1.2m dish , motorized 80cm , 60cm dishes & 1.8 prime focus

Receivers : French DIVA HD for french telly and AZ Premium HD+ box

Current project : rebuild the satellite farm in the garden

2011 : C Band
My Location
shrewsbury
Thanks for the answers guys.

I was surfing and found this - _http://www.fastsatfinder.com which looks pretty impressive and then went off on one looking for mac software and hence my post!

I don't really want to use a computer to record, just like the idea of using a computer to control the dish and also quite like the idea of running sat TV through a computer and having the facility to watch via wifi on my laptop.

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Review of the Elgato EyeTV for DVB-S
h__p://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/11/29/review_tv_tuner_mac_elgato_eyetv_310/

speedy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV on Mac
My Location
Italy
EyeTv, the way to go

The only one to offer progressive scan images (like a high end TV)

And you'll want to go HD.... with a Mac Mini or 'old' Macbook you'll have to settle with 'normal' scan, but still much better than the wanna be Windows counterparts,

Elgato 310, FireDTVS2 (the same as 310, minus the RF/antenna out) is a cheaper option but minus the software,
if you are going to use it with one of the new Macbooks you'll be stuck (minus firewire...)

There is support for a Terratec Cynergy S USB, don't know what it's worth, and haven't been able to find any reviews / data on it around,

Hopefully they'll support more Sat hardware in the future,

Hope it helps

speedy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV on Mac
My Location
Italy
Sorry, forgot to say, no support for motorized systems though, can control up to 4 dishes with DiseQC