Astra 2F: Iberia & Balearics Discussion

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Ricky from Obidos said:
If the plug in works
[...]
I guess it must either connect via a proxy, or there is some other way to deceive the BBC Iplayer.
Yes it works. No proxy involved, nor VPN. To run the plugin you need a proper Linux receiver with a Broadcom processor, running E2, preferably with the OpenViX image. If you have any questions specific to the plugin just post on the ViX/WoS forum and then you can be sure any response will be based on fact.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 45

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Huevos, very helpful as usual but ViX/WoS forum?. I have looked on this Forum and can not see it. Can you point a way please.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Juan69 said:
Huevos, very helpful as usual but ViX/WoS forum?. I have looked on this Forum and can not see it. Can you point a way please.
hxxp://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?27051-OE-Alliance-OnDemand-release-Thread
hxxp://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?27052-OE-Alliance-OnDemand-player-official-support-and-discussion-thread&p=201894#post201894

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
That´s amazing. Thank you. I´ll need time to get my head around this to try and understand how to use it.

robt23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Reelbox Avantgarde, 1.3 m high by 1.25 m wide dish, inverto quad black ultra 0.2 lnb, astra 28.2E.
My Location
Granada, Spain
Juan69 said:
That´s amazing. Thank you. I´ll need time to get my head around this to try and understand how to use it.
I have looked into it and it`s rocket science - absolutely no idea what there on about. Way, way too complex.

the talk about a VU box, what about other users who have other boxes that don`t have enigma 2 ? we can`t use this plugin or can we . This is more , much more for the very , very computer savy - imo ! LoL.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
robt23 said:
I have looked into it and it`s rocket science - absolutely no idea what there on about. Way, way too complex.

the talk about a VU box, what about other users who have other boxes that don`t have enigma 2 ? we can`t use this plugin or can we . This is more , much more for the very , very computer savy - imo ! LoL.
Phff! There's no rocket science involved; my 3 year old has no trouble operating my E2 receivers. Obviously if you delve into the source code it's going to be daunting for anyone who's not a software guru, just as it would be if you looked at the source code of any modern electronic device. But if you use the graphical user interface, and a quality image like OpenViX, operating these receivers is child's play.

Also, what about people who don't have an E2 receiver? That's like arguing against the XBox because people who only have an Atari can't play the games.

robt23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Reelbox Avantgarde, 1.3 m high by 1.25 m wide dish, inverto quad black ultra 0.2 lnb, astra 28.2E.
My Location
Granada, Spain
Huevos said:
Phff! There's no rocket science involved; my 3 year old has no trouble operating my E2 receivers. Obviously if you delve into the source code it's going to be daunting for anyone who's not a software guru, just as it would be if you looked at the source code of any modern electronic device. But if you use the graphical user interface, and a quality image like OpenViX, operating these receivers is child's play.

Also, what about people who don't have an E2 receiver? That's like arguing against the XBox because people who only have an Atari can't play the games.
Total and utter rubbish . Not talking source code here - dead wrong on this.

Might be simple to you but not to me .........

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
robt23 said:
Total and utter rubbish . Not talking source code here - dead wrong on this.
The GUI on E2 is a lot simpler and better written than most proprietary receivers. Like I said, it's child's play. A couple of button presses on the remote and the plugin is up and running.

robt23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Granada, Spain
Huevos said:
. Like I said, it's child's play. A couple of button presses on the remote and the plugin is up and running.
Nothing of the sort. you need to be a techy which you obviously are but i am not .

Awaiting with anticipation my channel master.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
robt23 said:
Nothing of the sort. you need to be a techy
To install: menu -> plugins, select the plugin, press ok. That's it installed.
To operate: menu -> OnDemand, select iPlayer. That's it.

Can't see how it could be simpler.

robt23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Granada, Spain
Huevos said:
To install: menu -> plugins, select the plugin, press ok. That's it installed.
To operate: menu -> OnDemand, select iPlayer. That's it.
Yes, but it isn`t , is it. Of course it`s easy when the plugin is installed but how do you install ? there`s no software to download and from what i`ve seen it`s a script.

Where does that script go ? Each linux deco functions differently, i have reelbox - plugins already in the distro , just pick what you want and press ok.

Now that`s ease of use not silly scripts that you have to agonize as to - does this go in etc/ or bin/ whatever.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Interesting exchange. Which model and make of box would you consider a reasonable option for the likes of us please. I must say I am tempted because although I can get BBC content now, it would be nice to be able to get the likes of other iplayers like we would if we were back home.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
robt23 said:
Yes, but it isn`t , is it. Of course it`s easy when the plugin is installed but how do you install ? there`s no software to download and from what i`ve seen it`s a script.

Where does that script go ? Each linux deco functions differently, i have reelbox - plugins already in the distro , just pick what you want and press ok.
Installing this plugin on the OpenViX image is done exactly as my instructions above. No knowledge of the source code or file system is necessary. To install it all you do is: press menu, plugins, OnDemand and press OK. The plugin then installs itself and is ready for use.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Huevos said:
Installing this plugin on the OpenViX image is done exactly as my instructions above. No knowledge of the source code or file system is necessary. To install it all you do is: press menu, plugins, OnDemand and press OK. The plugin then installs itself and is ready for use.
Pardon my ignorance, but is the plugin already included in the distribution and the install procedure that you've described effectively activates it, or does it need a working internet connection to download the plugin?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Juan69 said:
Interesting exchange. Which model and make of box would you consider a reasonable option for the likes of us please. I must say I am tempted because although I can get BBC content now, it would be nice to be able to get the likes of other iplayers like we would if we were back home.
Best start another thread as we have gone way off topic here. The choice is huge.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Huevos said:
Best start another thread as we have gone way off topic here. The choice is huge.

What's new! :-buttkick

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
hairybadger said:
does it need a working internet connection to download the plugin?
Yes, and obviously you are going to need an internet connection anyway if you want to view the BBC's internet content.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Huevos said:
Point taken.

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My Satellite Setup
1.4 m dish humax foxsat
My Location
Obidos Portugal
Huevos said:
www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?27052-OE-Alliance-OnDemand-player-official-support-and-discussion-thread&p=201894#post201894
That's the techie stuff I needed to understand how and why it works, if you read the changelog for the plugin you find that those users who are detected to have ip addresses outside of the UK are routed using TUNLR if the server/player in question doesn't allow a direct connection.

Ricky from Obidos said:
I'll have to check if either of the boxes (Dr.HD or Technomate 5402 hd) which based on the 27.5w thread I'm now considering buying use the plugin you are referring to.
timo_w2s said:
Those boxes are not Linux based so you can't install these kind of plugins on them.

I guess I can't kill two birds with one stone. Never mind, the TUNLR information provided by the Huevos link will now work for me if I have to go the internet route. Like most I suspect, I'd rather point a sat dish somewhere.

Huevos said:
No proxy involved, nor VPN. To run the plugin you need a proper Linux receiver with a Broadcom processor, running E2
The TUNLR system used by the Linux plug-in uses a DNS tunneling protocol and accesses proxy servers in the USA, UK and Europe to allow access to various services including Netflix, BBC et al.

You can use TUNLR direct with lots of other internet connected devices providing you are happy to live with any security implications of DNS tunneling and proxies on the device in question.

Then, once setup, the page at hxxp://tunlr.net/status/ is used to determine when you've succeeded in connecting up to their system and hopefully confirms the proxies are active.

I connected an old laptop to my TV using the video and audio out cables, changed my DNS as described on tunlr.net and was able to watch BBC Iplayer content and then using other tools download the content for watching later.

So although there's more than one way to skin a cat, internet always boils down to proxies and bandwidth one way or another.

But I imagine that 27.5w would make it a lot easier to channel hop.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Ricky from Obidos said:
But I imagine that 27.5w would make it a lot easier to channel hop.
Indeed, and ironically, as it doesn't use any extra resources at the broadcaster's end (eg internet bandwidth) it would actually work out cheaper for them if they "allowed" people to keep doing this...