Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy H

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LG43UH661V with region 2 sky dish
My Location
Leek, Staffs
Thanks, I'll report back on the progress or otherwise, it all seems a bit strange in that I believe Plusnet are a subsidiary of BT.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
At my Mum's (near Durham) for a week.....

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

Jimmy H

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LG43UH661V with region 2 sky dish
My Location
Leek, Staffs
I've just set the wheels in motion to switch penalty free from BT to Plusnet.

I should save about £20 a month for the same package, BT must be losing a lot of business!

Well all went wellish, the phone line switched and working, the fibre was switched but the engineer failed to arrive to change the faceplate and deliver the separate modem (the router arrived yesterday by Royal Mail) to cut it short I finally got a tech support guy to walk me through using my Homehub 5 (modem & router) which is apparently superior to Plusnet's offering - something about the Homehub being dual band.

I've agreed to forget the new faceplate which is essentially just a microfilter, but they are sending the modem and a microfilter so I'll have backup for the Homehub.

So I'm now very pleased with the slightly increased speed.

Hopefully I won't have to phone them too often as the 30 minute wait time is a bit boring.

Incidentally BT sent an Email asking for the Homehub 5 to be returned, I have no intention of returning it, has anyone been chased further with regard to this?

Last edited:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Hopefully I won't have to phone them too often as the 30 minute wait time is a bit boring.

Incidentally BT sent an Email asking for the Homehub 5 to be returned, I have no intention of returning it, has anyone been chased further with regard to this?

If you don't want to sit on the phone for 30 minutes, there's the Plusnet forum where you can post issues or questions and (usually) receive a speedy answer, though at the moment there seems to be a number of PN staff on holiday so things are a bit slow at the moment... :)

Code:
http://community.plus.net/forum/

(though be aware it's a pretty heated place in parts!!)

As for the BT Homehubs, aren't they like with $ky boxes, where you own them after the contract is up? If not, then there's a lot of "illegal" or "stolen" (if that's what BT claim) HHs out there in the world... :-rofl2

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Signed up with Zen Fibre Unlimited with activation date set to 8th September. Estimated down/up speed - 51/14Mbit. Hoping for higher speeds though :D

A

Archive-8

Just check my Sherborne connection speed

image.jpg

Due to the cr@p service and the price hike I have decided to change provider.

So I will have to wait and see what they turn out like.

A

Archive-8

image.jpg
Whilst streaming 320mbs internet radio, and ip cameras from my other property, (mjpeg) and internal up cams. So I am felling quite happy with this.

A

Archive-8

image.jpg
Sky adsl at my other house in Dorset, (old provider) switching to talk talk, as it works out cheaper over the 18month contract. Hope it will be ok.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
In the new house now but not yet connected to the internet. But signed up with BT WiFi FON thing as I need Internet for work.

4636524022.png

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Having finally had time to talk to Plusnet on the phone today they finally agree there is a fault on our line.

Theres no dial tone at all now, just a very faint ticking on the line, and the fault is flagging up as an "unbalanced cable" whetever that might be, we are still ticking along at 0.6 meg on the bb

An unbalanced line/cable in BT/POTS speak is normally a bad connection or join, it could be a bit of corrosion on one of the joins in the exchange or the street cab or water in one of the street pits (if I remember from my NTL training way back when), they'll probably swap you over to the spare pair or to a new Dside or Eside and if that doesn't work try a lift and shift at the exchange

Here's my Virgin Media speed

And this is my "backup internet" from Fuel Broadband, I have no idea why it says Talktalk as I'm not with them, never have been (or why there's a 50 mile difference in servers when both internet connections are here infront of me)

Last edited:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
A bit sh*t considering I was hoping for 50Mbit+ but I need to relocate my master socket. The line is coming in at the garage and then a crappy wire extends that to the inside of the house. So will have to relocate the socket to the garage and run a proper extension from there.

4645819303.png

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
A bit sh*t considering I was hoping for 50Mbit+ but I need to relocate my master socket. The line is coming in at the garage and then a crappy wire extends that to the inside of the house. So will have to relocate the socket to the garage and run a proper extension from there.

4645819303.png
Still, not bad though. It's the kind of speeds I'm hoping to get soon.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England

4645819303.png

Mine seems OK for Virgin.

Attachments

• BB Test.png
    BB Test.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Sorry, but Vermin are hopeless. I had them at two addresses and at both we had constant disconnections, sometimes for days, which is unacceptable - especially when noone off-shore could tell me what the issue was. Never again.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Sorry, but Vermin are hopeless. I had them at two addresses and at both we had constant disconnections, sometimes for days, which is unacceptable - especially when noone off-shore could tell me what the issue was. Never again.

No need to say sorry. I had problems years ago when it first came to the area. After a couple of years I get fed up with it all and managing to get in touch with an area manager did they discover the cable from the box to me had several joins. It took a day to run new heavier cables from the box to me and its been good since.

Status
Not open for further replies.