Can´t pay, we´ll take it away.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Saw this programme today, now I am a bit hard nosed. I can´t stand people who don´t pay their way and expect a free ride, but I was so upset with the case of the ex-army turned taxi driver.

He had served his country, had reached a good rank. Had fought in the Falklands and Gulf war. He was up to date on his rent (70% of the house, he owned the other 30%), but he had other debts (I think 30K). He didn´t seem too bright (who knows what the horrors he saw in the army did to him), he had been ill with pneumonia so he couldn´t work as many hours as before. He was given just two hours to leave his house of 19 years, find somewhere for him, his partner and their pets. Absolutely haeart breaking.

I think in this sort of case, based on the circumstances shown in the programme, he should be given a second chance, this bombshell obviously shook him up and encouraged him to work long hours.

But really we need to support our armed forces - over 80% of homeless people are ex services. How disgraceful!

He should have been entitled to money whilst he was unwell. Also on a practical note, we should have advisers that go to these peoples houses, with full powers of entry, so they don´t get fobbed off, to give these people sensible money management advice.

Looking in his house he had expensive TVs, Apple Macbook Pro, Sky HD etc etc, Maybe 5K (including 3 years subs), a sixth of the debt. As he said, when he was in the army everything was provided so his money was for whatever he liked. I just think we should be helping these people, both finacially when they are sick but also help them to get back on track, so they don´t get evicted.

I am usually a good judge of character, and he seemed like a great bloke.

So So sad.

Oh yes, just to complete the picture, at the end of the process he owed 100K, ridiculous how can that happen?!?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Owed £100k ?????????

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Yes, with all the court costs etc (up from 30K I believe).

A nonymous

Reaction score
I always thought the whole point of Bankruptcy was to absolve you of your debts. I cannot see how he has got into the trouble he has after already being made bankrupt. Bad advice i would say.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
This country has everything backwards. We have nancy boys kicking about inflated sheep pancreas earning £300k a week who, ultimately, do nothing for anyone (and is why I despise football) and free handouts to lazy-arse mums with 10 kids on their laps while completely ignoring people who really are in need of physical, emotional and financial help.

Makes my blood boil.

A nonymous

Reaction score
What makes my blood boil are those advertisements for Payday lones. Borrow twenty quid and then lose your home after having to pay the two million per cent APR interest. They should be banned from the TV. Its one of the reasons this country is in the mess it is, people think when they see them that its the easy way out, when all it does is get them further in to debt.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I wouldn't object to banning a few useless advertisements, loans, credit cards and especially the constant gambling advertisements.