Can get Astra 1 + 2 but not Hotbird

aldomontoya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ProgDVB + COMPRO S350
45cm Dish @ Astra 2 into Sky+
60cm Dish + Quad LNB (not motorised) into PC right now.
My Location
Southampton, UK
Hi,

I have Sky setup on a std 45 cm dish, all works fine. I bought another 60cm dish with a quad LNB to try get Hotbird 6,7,8. After fidding for ages I can get great strength and quality readings on ASTRA 1 & 2, but cannot get ANTHING for hotbird. My signal meter does not even blip when I think I am near Hotbird (this is very close to Astra 1, just slightly more to the south?).

Any ideas? Trawled the forums, used dishpointer.com it all looks right, just no damn HOTBIRD!!!!

Help please.

Thanks,

Al

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum aldomontoya

It is difficult to answer as your profile does not indicate if your second dish is motorised or not. If not then then you cannot possibly be receiving both Astra one and two at the same time, the two satellites are 9 degrees apart. I am sure you the dish is pointing at perhaps 19 E and you are receiving channels that have the same frequency SR and FEC on both satellites. The dish need to be moved another 6 degrees westward to get Hotbird and slightly higher

aldomontoya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ProgDVB + COMPRO S350
My Location
Southampton, UK
Hi,

Thanks for that. And there I thought I had puts loads of info in!

This is a single sat dish, non-motorised. I can get Astra 1 and Astra 2 independantly of each other by swinging the dish manually between the two satellites, and get 100 signal, and about 75% Quality at all times. I just seem to get absolutely nothing when I am pointing towards Hotbird (and swinging it a little either way), which is the satellite I want! I also have a spare single LNB which gives me the same results, so I am fairly happy that that is okay.

All I want is hotbird....don't we all...

Thanks!
Al

tomthebomb1968

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo 250gig/ DreamElite BH 1.3.2 Multiboot

Dreambox 500s-(clone) / DM-600

Relook 400s 160 Gig-/SifTeam 1.93 e enigma

Foretec 90cm Dish with Nikkai Diseqc Motor- 2 sky+ receivers fixed 28.2 east.
My Location
Newtownabbey, near Belfast, Northern Ireland
Where are you located. 60 Cm might be too small for hotbird. I think 70cm is needed. I need at least that from my northerly position.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
but the satellites are on an arc therefore you must raise the elevation to get Hotbird, of course you must also pre-set your stb to a frequency FEC and SR that Hotbird transmits, the best is probably 12597 V27500 3/4 BBC World

aldomontoya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ProgDVB + COMPRO S350
My Location
Southampton, UK
Hi,

I am in Southampton, UK, all the literature I can find says 60cm should be large enough....

Thanks, I will try raise the arc and see what I get. According to dishfinder.com the angle should be okay though.
I am using a sat finder that is powered from my receiver (in this case my PC card). Will keep battling.

Thanks again for all the comments, I will get this right!!!

Al

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
aldomontoya said:
Hi,

I am in Southampton, UK, all the literature I can find says 60cm should be large enough....

It is plenty
aldomontoya said:
Thanks, I will try raise the arc and see what I get. According to dishfinder.com the angle should be okay though.

Within reason you can get away with it with a smaller dish however you have already said that you can get 28 E and 19E without changing it therefore it would be unrealistic to expect it to receive 13 E as well without raising it, this is why the polar mount was invented which mechanically describes the Clarke curve for you
aldomontoya said:
I am using a sat finder that is powered from my receiver (in this case my PC card). Will keep battling.

Thanks again for all the comments, I will get this right!!!

Al

You're welcome good luck

aldomontoya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ProgDVB + COMPRO S350
My Location
Southampton, UK
And like magic it is working!

Cheers, it was the angle. The guide on the side of the dish is rubbish, played around a bit with the dish and hey presto. 100% signal, 70% quality, a good place to start.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.

Al

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Glad you are up and running, yes I have no idea why manufacturers mislead people with those scales they are always completely wrong.

Well done:-handclap:-handclap:-handclap

markmarios

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
koan ke620

laptop
My Location
belgium
hello there, i am reading everything now for weeks.....
however i still can not get the hotbird.... i do get amos 1/2 where they are som chanels from hotbird..... i dont know if that says something to you.....:confused:confused
is it anyboddy up there to help me...... do you think i have to upgrate the firmwere of my receiver (kaon kfc e620)

btw astra 1-2 is easy to get (i got a saterlite finder) and by going few degrees in the right is sould be hotbird but i get allways amos:(
:-worship:-worship people help me!:-worship:-worship

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You are turning the dish too far, I don't know what size dish you have , but on a 60cm the lnb only wants to move to the right by a couple of inches from 19E

Markjose

Young one with a hobby
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 110 ..... No fixed location
My Location
Monmouth
aldomontoya said:
And like magic it is working!

Cheers, it was the angle. The guide on the side of the dish is rubbish, played around a bit with the dish and hey presto. 100% signal, 70% quality, a good place to start.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.

Al

If you are useing a zone 2 dish, mesh 60 cm the numbers and measurements are useless. spot luck :p

markmarios

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
koan ke620

laptop
My Location
belgium
Robbo said:
You are turning the dish too far, I don't know what size dish you have , but on a 60cm the lnb only wants to move to the right by a couple of inches from 19E

hello thans for the replay , i am turning the dish mm and i use saterlite finder ! after astra and approx. 1-2 cm in the right i got amos!! but not hotbird:(

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Are you sure you're getting Amos?
Can you please post some channels, and frequencies, you are receiving.
Have you scanned these channels in or are you going by the firmware already loaded on your receiver?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
markmarios said:
hello thans for the replay , i am turning the dish mm and i use saterlite finder ! after astra and approx. 1-2 cm in the right i got amos!! but not hotbird:(

Either you are not on Astra 19.2E to start with or you are not finding Amos.

Check your channels and frequencies and look them upon Lyngsat,kingofsat etc.

Normally if you have 19.2E the dish can be moved west a bit without adjusting the elevation and get something from Hotbird on a smallish dish.

markmarios

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
koan ke620

laptop
My Location
belgium
thank u for the replays....
about amos...
i am sure i got this satellite as long as my receiver says that am having a signal from Amos1/2 from hotbrird i got no signal nowhere however the tricky thing is that in amos i getting some channels that they suppose to be in hotbird!1:confused:confused like nova!! or national geographic....

do u suggest that i have problem with the firmware of the receiver?
my receiver is kaon e620...

any help folks??
:toke::toke:

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
No, your receiver sounds OK.

You have to understand that the same frequencies are used again and again around the arc. The receiver will report channels and frequencies from wherever you have put the dish, even if you have the wrong satellite selected in the receiver.

Cross reference the channels you have and their frequencies on Lyngsat, if they tie up with Hotbird, that's where the dish is.

markmarios

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
koan ke620

laptop
My Location
belgium
so i jist cheack some of the channels and you are right:-worship:-worship
it much with the frequencing on hotbird so why this is huppening and if i do have hotbird where are the rest of the channels????? anf why my receiver says that i have amos 1/2 with singnal 79% and hotbird signal :eek:
//
why everything has to be so complicate???'O'-red

please any help! shall i update the receiver??? or what?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
markmarios said:

You either need to do a blind scan if the stb is capable of that or go to lyngsat.com and enter all the frequencies FEC's and SR's shown in the lists for Hotbird and scan each one for channels

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
markmarios said:
if i do have hotbird where are the rest of the channels????? anf why my receiver says that i have amos 1/2 with singnal 79% and hotbird signal :eek:
//
why everything has to be so complicate???'O'-red

Your receiver does not know what satellite it is receiving from, it is dumb. All it has is a list of frequencies for each satellite, if it gets a signal on one of them it will give you the channels, even if you have selected the wrong satellite name.

Forget Amos completely.

Instead, update you transponder (frequency) list for Hotbird so that it is correct, and once you've done a scan, you will get all the channels your'e supposed to.