Cant find 28.2

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
Hi all, I live in Tenerife and have had sky digital for about the last 2 years. We have just moved, I put up my dish 1.2 channel Master but I cant find Astra 2A (28.2) the closest ive got so far is Arabsat at 26 I have been out there for 3 nights at about 3 hours a night tiring to find astra, the only 2 ive managed to get so far are Astra at 19.2 & arabsat at 26, now if Astra 2A is at 28.2 it must be that moving the dish 2 or 3 degrees east would pick it up, but it don’t. Is the elevation the same for 28.2 or do I have to go up or down a bit from arabsat at 26. We have lived out here for the last 12 years and moved about 4 times, every time ive put the dish up myself without a problem, but this time it’s a nightmare. Have anyone got any suggestions as to what im doing wrong. Please help its driving me mad & im getting it in the neck from the missis

Thanks

Steve

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
ok. if arabsat is 26.0 the elevation is 33.5 degrees, sky digital is 31.64 degrees.
thats from the capital in tenerife by the way. so it'll be almost the same pretty much
no matter where you live there.

further note : also im not sure if you're lookin at your tv when you're trying to tune in 28.2 but quite often (in my experience) the network id and transport id wont change to the magic numbers 0002 and 07d4 respectively. look out instead for jumping bars
when moved to a new satellite (ie from 26.0 to 28.2) then just press sky and see if you get a channel. if you've got sky go back to signal strength and you'll see you now have the correct network and transport id.

regards
Rich
http://connect.to/skysweden

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Well, you should at least be getting the southern beam channels off 2A/B although I think that the dish is too small for 2D. I've pinched this off the Astra "D site:-

Canary Islands - Gran Canaria (NO ASTRA 2D)
Panasonic TU-DSB30
1.0m dish
LNB Not known
Posted 23-05-03

I have been receiving perfect pictures for a long time and I am still receiving perfect pictures for Sky and other free channels but BBC has now COMPLETELY disappeared.
Brian H.

Have a look at http://www.astra2d.co.uk for some more information.

You should be on the right track finding 28E. It's a little further over and and little bit down from 26E but with a 1.0m dish be careful you're not moving the dish too much as the beamwidth is relatively narrow.

What receiver are you using? This might have some bearing on the problem?

PaulR

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
if arabsat is 26.0 the elevation is 33.5 degrees, sky digital is 31.64 degrees.
thats from the capital in tenerife by the way

So for being thick but being the elevation of 31.64 (sky) lower than 33.5 (arabsat) the dish has to be moved down yes ???????????. im using the norn panasonic digibox

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes. All the visible satellites are arranged in an arc in the southern sky. Highest in the middle (0 degrees) and they get lower in the sky the further you move either east or west of zero degrees. 28.2E is further away from 0 degrees (due south in our case) than 26E, so it's a little lower.

lazydave

Reaction score
My Location
Aalborg, Denmark
BGonaSTICK said:
Yes. All the visible satellites are arranged in an arc in the southern sky. Highest in the middle (0 degrees) and they get lower in the sky the further you move either east or west of zero degrees. 28.2E is further away from 0 degrees (due south in our case) than 26E, so it's a little lower.
Ummm... I think it's "due south" which matters with "zero degrees" being the nice coincidence :) instead of the other way around, BGonaSTICK, since it must just be a solid geometry problem of how you point to a position along the equator from a position North of the equator.

But your trick stíll works since UK-residents are lucky enough to have 0 ~= due south, as you point out. :)

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
nokevin said:
So for being thick but being the elevation of 31.64 (sky) lower than 33.5 (arabsat) the dish has to be moved down yes ???????????. im using the norn panasonic digibox

yes, do you not have an elevation marker on your dish ?

regards
Rich
connect.to/skysweden

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
lazydave said:
Ummm... I think it's "due south" which matters with "zero degrees" being the nice coincidence :) instead of the other way around, BGonaSTICK, since it must just be a solid geometry problem of how you point to a position along the equator from a position North of the equator.

But your trick stíll works since UK-residents are lucky enough to have 0 ~= due south, as you point out. :)
LOL, Yeah, that's why I live here! Couldn't be doing any addition or subtraction based on where I live!!

I'm bang on it at 359.9, but Tenerife may be a degree or two out.

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
indios_se said:
yes, do you not have an elevation marker on your dish ?

regards
Rich
connect.to/skysweden
No i dont, its got a motor are on the back thats not used, its a pain in the arse

Steve

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
PaulR said:
Well, you should at least be getting the southern beam channels off 2A/B although I think that the dish is too small for 2D. I've pinched this off the Astra "D site:-

Have a look at http://www.astra2d.co.uk for some more information.

You should be on the right track finding 28E. It's a little further over and and little bit down from 26E but with a 1.0m dish be careful you're not moving the dish too much as the beamwidth is relatively narrow.

What receiver are you using? This might have some bearing on the problem?

PaulR
I have been using a oval 90cm x 1m dish for 2 years now with no problem at all, as for the www.astra2d.co.uk is says on there that you need a 3-4.5m dish for the canarys, rubish !!!

Steve

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just looked at the 2D site and a couple of the reports say 2.4 metre for 2D channels, theys are not talking about the other stuff, just the channels on 2D. If you have been getting the 2D channels on a 1m dish I would be slightly more than amazed.

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
i've calculated when the satellite is in the position of the moon in santa cruz, tenerife,
align your dish (horizontally only), according to the moon at this time,
note the vertical alignment is way off at this time, so dont change it.

Sunday Jul 04 23:49:17 Tenerife Time

alternative times, you can message me, or use the calculator that's linked
at my site and the instructions also on my site at.

http://connect.to/skysweden

good luck now
Rich

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
Ok here’s an update, for another 4 hours I have been trying to receive 28.2. At the other house I was using an Panasonic digibox & an oval (90 x 1.0m) dish with a sharp universal LNB, when we moved to this new place I put up my norm dish (as ive done many a time for me and other people) and got nothing, then I put up my 1.2 m channel master and plugged the LNB cable into my echostar FTA box (as this bleeps when it found a signal) I lined the dish up in the general direction and kept getting from the echostar intermittent audible warning and the signal and signal quality bars were flashing up and down with the noise, I then tried another old black grundig LNB that I had, when this was fitted the audible warning was constant and the 2 bars signal strength went to 90% and picture quality went to 65%. I then done a search and it found a few channels that are on arabsat (26 dec’s) so I moved the dish down a bit & slightly to the left, after about 3 hours of moving the dish I got nothing from astra 28.2. I then tried the first LNB and again intermittent signal and tone. I thought that LNB must be f**cked so I went out and bought a new universal LNB and guess what, it’s the same intermittent signal bars and audible warning. Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on here, its driving me round the potty & im also getting it in the neck from the missis & my daughter,

Thanks

Steve

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Could there be something in the line of sight?

A building, tree, or anything really that stops you getting 28.2 but doesn’t quite stop you getting 26?

I know it seems unlikely that something could be so well (or badly) placed, but as you have done this so many times before and can get Arabsat it might be worth checking.

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
thing is sky boxes get very weird when you move your satellite dish. most give weird
reading, some need a complete reset.
the bars you mention flying up and down (spiking), is actually quite normal, in fact it happens to me when i hit another satellite, and my systems works perfectly. once this starts happening when you think you're on 28.2 is actually a tell tale sign to press your sky button and see if you've hit sky.

if not then turn off (unplug completely,important) the box for a few minutes,without moving the dish then on again and see if you get something. make sure you turn to a channel that you know will be strong on the sky EPG, dont try one that is harder to get in tenerife..

good luck now
Rich

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
ok all done now, put the oval 90 x 1.0m and got it

Thanks
All

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I dont know about Tenerife,but here in Cyprus,when I am on Arabsat i just move the dish a bit to the left and then up a bit.Also if you tune to Sky news on your echostar(12.207 V) as its one of the strongest signals on the satellite,it should help

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
I have no idea, i took down the 1.2m channel master put up the smaller dish that ive been using for sky digital for 2 years found arabsat again moved the dish to the left and bingo. Ive got it now so im going to leave it as it is

Steve