CATV Meters - What are professionals using and why?

vma

Reaction score
Website
vma-satellite.blogspot.pt
My Satellite Setup
RX: 3 motorized DiSEqC-1.2 dishes (100cm, 110cm, 120cm) + 7 regular dishes.
Main receiver: Vu+ Duo + many others & IRD
TX: Modulators for DVB-S/C/T + Dektec Modulators
Field Meter: Emitor, KWS, Kathrein, Unaohm, Promax, Spaun, Rover Instruments, ...
My Location
Portugal
Hello,

Field meter for CATV are a bit special, for several reasons:

1) They are portable - normally handheld size.
2) They need to test analog TV, digital TV (normally DVB-C - QAM-16/32/64/128/256), DOCIS-1.0, 2.0 and 3.0, Ethernet and WIFI).
3) Measurements include up- and down-stream measurement, Reverse Path measurement, Ingress-meaurement

These meters often have limited spectrum analyzer functionality, but normally are not able to visualize video (analog or digital).
Only analog audio is demodulated in most cases.

Common brands are:
- Sunrise Telecom (bought by VeEX)
- VeEX
- JDSU (bought by Viavi)
- Trilithic (bought by Viavi)
- Viavi (probably the biggest player)

Other brands, like Rover Instruments or Promax have devices for CATV, but I have not come across them with installers.

I find this subject interesting, because the most common CATV meters are often not the best... It seems that the operator (nowadays "Triple Play" Provider - TV, Internet and Telephony/Mobile Phone) makes a deal with one brand and all subcontracted installers will have to use the specific meter.

One reasone for this is that the meter manufacturer offers not just the meter, but a whole online infrastructure to manage the measurements carried out at the customer, in order to validate the installation, when the measured parameters are within tolerance.

As a result, these meters are really expensive, especially for what they do.

With new requirements, these meters get obsolete. Viavi/JDSU offers upgrades and exchange programs.

My questions:

- Are there professional CATV installers that can confirm/complete what I wrote?
- If so, which meters do you use and why?
- What hardware and software options to you have and why?
- Most second hand meters on eBay come with few or no software options - why is that?

Also, I am looking for FW files for the following devices:

- Any Trilithic DSP model
- JDSU DSAM 6300 XT (last version is still available for download, but I would have more versions in my FW collection)
- VeEX VePAL CX1xx (I have a few FW versions, but I certainly lack further FW versions)
- Sunrise Telecon / VeEX CM2xxx/CM3xxx (would be SUPEREB if I could get some FW versions, expecially one that includes the NK.BIN file)

Kind regards,
vma

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The cable TV network is in decline in the UK, as the massive rollout of Fibre To The Home prompts subscribers to move across to cheaper broadband deals and streaming content. Companies like Virgin Media's big initial pull was faster broadband than copper wire and that advantage is fast disappearing. Not many independents use CATV specific meters, (My Promax has some features, but I seldom use them) as they have their in house installers.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The cable TV network is in decline in the UK, as the massive rollout of Fibre To The Home prompts subscribers to move across to cheaper broadband deals and streaming content. Companies like Virgin Media's big initial pull was faster broadband than copper wire and that advantage is fast disappearing. Not many independents use CATV specific meters, (My Promax has some features, but I seldom use them) as they have their in house installers.
It doesn't help that VM is - with very few exceptions the only cable TV supplier in this part of the world.