PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
C5HD had appeared on my Freeview HD PVR at LCN 105 for when I returned home this evening.

It's a very "soft" picture and close up inspection of Home and Away (urgh) - which sure is recorded in HD - confirms to me that it is upscaled SD.

Is this the case for the satellite signal as well? Is it proper HD on Freesat? It's the same signal as $ly uses. I can't believe that nobody has complained about the picture before when it was behind the paywall.

A

Archive4

Just had a quick look, during the break in " Emmerdale ", sound is significantly louder between HD and SD, but could not really tell about the picture as quite dark ( including cctv ) footage. Will check later

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Can't see any signs of fantastic improvement from SD so far. Only practical result is breaking up earlier than the sd :O) (during low level periods, currently going under 6db evening, 12-13 db daytime).

Attachments

• 5hd.jpg
    5hd.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 14
A

Archive4

Can't see any signs of fantastic improvement from SD so far. Only practical result is breaking up earlier than the sd :O) (during low level periods, currently going under 6db evening, 12-13 db daytime).
Locking a good picture on a HD channel at 5.8dB is not too shabby at all. Think that box is better than some others think it is!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Just had a quick look through, before the start of the chase on itv+1 , where has the sd version gone ( didn´t get up to the 900 range )

Its been removed for HD boxes according to posts over on the DS forum

A

Archive4

That´s pretty smart, so freesat can now remotely advise a sd or hd box that ch5 is on 105 and tell the box which pid to pick up?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Presumably its just mapped in the epg data stream

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Phew....! Got it at last.

Pietclock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
125cm
My Location
SE Germany 50°N/11°E
Is it proper HD on Freesat?

It is HD, but they seem to have problems with the correct field order of the interlaced picture. This morning when they had those cartoons on, you could see aliasing effects.
They need to improve if they want to reach Channel 4 HDs quality level for example.