Controversial post about torrents

Jumpstart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
North East
I know this is an iffy subject, and I don't know where else to post this question, :confused so I have stuck it here. Please feel free to move it if need be. Thanks.

My question is. All these torrents on the Internet. What kind of people almost dedicate their lives to uploading these torrents? The time it must take must be massive.

I'll give you an instance. Someone must have bought the entire collection of The Twlight Zone and has transferred them from DVD (including the extras) and made them into small avi files. All 156 episodes ready for download. That is a massive achievement.:eek:

Also, other stuff comes out, complete series, all transferred from DVD into small avi files.

I am staggered at these efforts. Any thoughts? Thanks. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Many players (and some sites) will do the conversion in real time, plus there are some of the contributors that *ahem* use their works console constructively, but yes, a lot of uploading work occurs at the 'other end' of the pipe.

(and The Outer Limits was far better than The Twilight Zone)

[tube]8CtjhWhw2I8[/tube]

monsieurm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Toroidal Dish: 0.8°W, 4.8°E, 9.0/10.0°E, 13.0°E, 16.0°E, 19.2°E, 23.5°E, 28.2/28.5°E
My Location
Germany
Jumpstart said:
. All these torrents on the Internet. What kind of people almost dedicate their lives to uploading these torrents? The time it must take must be massive.

I am staggered at these efforts. Any thoughts? Thanks. :)

Altruism and chivalry are believed to be dead - not on the web obviously. I think people find it entertainment and soothing to help others.

For the same reason forums exist where they help their fellow members for nothing in return. :)

Jumpstart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
North East
I disagree, I watched the ORIGINAL Outer Limits, and I thought it had dated badly. There were one or gems but most of them were a tad awful. In my view. :D

Yeah, thanks for your replies. Glad you agree, the uploaders are soo unselfish. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Jumpstart said:
I disagree, I watched the ORIGINAL Outer Limits, and I thought it had dated badly. There were one or gems but most of them were a tad awful. In my view. :D

Dated, yes, but not badly.

Go check on some of the Twilight series, it will be the same (a few years younger, but the sheer number of episodes should show up quite a few more dated stories).

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
What I don#t understand is - are they not afraid they will be coght? I always thought if you use a torent you can still be traced. So surely the people who upload it are at risk, too´?

monsieurm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Toroidal Dish: 0.8°W, 4.8°E, 9.0/10.0°E, 13.0°E, 16.0°E, 19.2°E, 23.5°E, 28.2/28.5°E
My Location
Germany
As a matter of fact your IP address can be traced while downloading and uploading.
According to German laws, uploading is illegal whereas downloading copyrighted material is not.
The only problem with the torrent system is that you can't avoid seeding / uploading.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
monsieurm said:
As a matter of fact your IP address can be traced while downloading and uploading.
According to German laws, uploading is illegal whereas downloading copyrighted material is not.
The only problem with the torrent system is that you can't avoid seeding / uploading.

You can limit the upload to 1kB/s though if you alter the bandwidth settings, which is a lost slower than the data you normally upload when just browsing the web... :)

I know it seems "unfair" not to upload, but, when you have the law being a PITA with civil liberties, then it's best to reduce you're "detectability" than to face being prosecuted. I still think it's annoying that they have to police the internet, cos freedom of speech and sharing resources is completely out of the window according to governments... :(

Jumpstart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
North East
There's one file on the Internet that's a 100gb. Don't tell me how long it took to upload that! :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Jumpstart said:
There's one file on the Internet that's a 100gb. Don't tell me how long it took to upload that! :D

I'm trying to download a 35GB lump, I started it on the 28th August, and it's 59.2% done... :-rofl2

It's not my connection though, done enough tests to ensure it isn't, but it's really struggling... :(

Jumpstart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
North East
2cvbloke said:
I'm trying to download a 35GB lump, I started it on the 28th August, and it's 59.2% done... :-rofl2

It's not my connection though, done enough tests to ensure it isn't, but it's really struggling... :(

GOOD LUCK! :eek:

Well, the good thing about downloading is that you can leave it for a week with your pc switched off. And return, midway through the download and no file quality is affected.

Amazing. :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Jumpstart said:
GOOD LUCK! :eek:

Well, the good thing about downloading is that you can leave it for a week with your pc switched off. And return, midway through the download and no file quality is affected.

Amazing. :D

Sad thing is, I've downloaded other things lightning fast while that one has gone on, blummin' annoying really... :(

But yes, the download pausing and restarting is great... :D

Jumpstart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
North East
2cvbloke said:
Sad thing is, I've downloaded other things lightning fast while that one has gone on, blummin' annoying really... :(

But yes, the download pausing and restarting is great... :D

Yeah, it would really suck if you had to start all over again every time you switched your pc on and off.