compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Hi Folks,
I came back from a holiday at the weekend only to find my dreambox is dead (no LEDs/ nothing happening whatsoever).

I've been told that we had a severe lightning storm while I was away and a lot of people in the area have had equipment damaged.

I've checked the power supply with a multimeter and its definitely dead. I tried another 12V power supply this did not get the DM-600 working. The original dreambox PSU is rated at 12V / 2 amp. The other PSU I tried is rated 12V / 1 amp.

I would have thought that the 2amp rating would be a maximum current and that 1 amp would be fine for getting the dreambox booted. (I was testing with everyting disconnected except the PSU).

Is there anything special about the PSU's supplied with the Dreambox? I don't want to buy a replacement PSU only to find that there has been more damage done to the circuitry in the dreambox itself.

I did a visiual check on the main PCBs and could see no obvious physical damage. I hoped to find a blown fuse in there, but no :( With the test power supply connected, I'm getting 12V accross what appears to be the 1st diode in the circuit, after that I'm lost, its all ICs which I have no Idea how to go about testing the ICs.

I have no idea whether the damage was done by a strike on the dish, or through the power line. When I left the house to go on holiday, the dreambox was plugged in but switched off at the mains.

The LNB and Motor on the dish are fine, I'm currently operating them on a borrowed silvercrest reciever. I can see no signs of burning anywhere around the dish/lnb etc.

This leads me to believe that the damage came from the mains line. I'm hoping that this might mean that the damage was only to the PSU, but I cant see why another 12V PSU wouldnt power it up.

Does anyone know of any components that tend to blow on these things?

Can anyone reccommend a good repair shop that I could send it too?

Any comments/hints are appreciated.

Regards,
C

PS: Sorry for the long post, just trying to get all the relevant info in there.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
Mark Hemming's Satellite store

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I sent it to AIR Electronics GmbH for repair,
_http://www.air-electronics.de/catalog/index.php

It turns out there was damage to multiple components including the processor. Air Electronics have sent it on to Dream Multimedia because some of the damaged chips are not available to anyone but Dream Multimedia (I'm told).

It looks like I'll have to buy a new Dreambox, I haven't been given a price for the repair yet, but I'd say it will probably make more sense to buy a replacement.

PS: The damage was done via the power supply. The TV was was plugged into the same socket but had not been damaged at all. Probably because it was earthed.