Diseqc confusion - FireDTV & DVBviewer

philbury

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
W7MC - FireDTV and hauppauge S2 tuners
My Location
London & Languedoc
I have just installed my first motorised system with a view to getting HD channels and recording them on my PC. After a 'lucky beginner' start where I instantly got BBC HD tuned via diseqc, my setup seems unwilling to tune into any satellites at all.

I have the Dissecq module designed for SkyStar running with ProgDVB but am not sure it is working properly. I had the 1 hour trial version of freesatfinder but I'm too mean to shell out $30 for a full copy. Is there a newbie tutorial on this subject or a program which is better than ProgDVB or DVBviewer for setting up satellites?

philbury

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London & Languedoc
OK I've got it all working! Can't quite believe it...

After a lot of head scratching I got back out on the roof and reset the motor to 0 pointing roughly south.

Using my purchased copy of DVBviewer I then I simply entered the USALS type settings 'go to angular' and satellite name when scanning each satellite in turn. This works even with my cheapo Motek clone motor.

Hey presto when I then went to tune in to a channel it moved the dish quickly and correctly. Magic!:)

starman345

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
10' c/ku dish Bullseye II feed, Gbox 3000, 90cm Dish, SG-2100,
Prof 7301 PCI
TBS 8922 PCI
TBS 6925 PCI-E
My Location
New Brunswick Canada
Do you like the Firedtv in general, any problems? I am thinking of buying one, just wondering if there are any problems?

philbury

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London & Languedoc
I'm very pleased with it. I wanted something that was USB or Firewire because I have a Silverstone slimline HTPC case which won't take any cards. Also I can take it with me more easily when I go to France.

I set up a motorised dish and DVBviewer handles the (DisecQ &) USALS commands with no problem.

The other supposed advantage is that they have done divers for VMC TVpack but as it happens I have not tried to integrate them because I'm afraid it will all go to pieces. I currently record HDTV with DVBviewer - nowhere near as convenient as Vista Media Center I'm afraid. Actually it stinks but possibly I haven't got it set up correctly.

It is well built. You can get cheaper cards if you don't need an external setup. People seem happy with other cards too.

starman345

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
10' c/ku dish Bullseye II feed, Gbox 3000, 90cm Dish, SG-2100,
Prof 7301 PCI
TBS 8922 PCI
TBS 6925 PCI-E
My Location
New Brunswick Canada
Great, the few reviews around the net on the Firedtv seem to be good. I use Dvbviewer most of the time as well. Also, have one of those Silverstone htpc cases but mine is the c-17, I think, I"ve had it 3 or 4 years, it takes full size cards and fits into my media center very well. Thanks for the words, looks like I'm going to order one of these.:)

philbury

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London & Languedoc
Wow, I'm very impressed.

I just booted up into Windows 7 Beta 2, plugged in my FireDTV and loaded the Beta driver they've brought out for TV pack in Vista. I installed and opened DVB viewer 4 and saw that BBCHD was working. Closed the program.

I then opened HD in Media Center and went to set up TV signal. It immediately recognised the card and started downloading 840 channels. When finished I was able to tune to BBC HD and watch and record in the usual way.

Well done you guys. My next step isto see if I can set up a DVB-T (Freeview) tuner with it and sort out the almost useless ITV HD.

speedy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV on Mac
My Location
Italy
philbury said:
Wow, I'm very impressed.

I just booted up into Windows 7 Beta 2, plugged in my FireDTV and loaded the Beta driver they've brought out for TV pack in Vista. I installed and opened DVB viewer 4 and saw that BBCHD was working. Closed the program.

I then opened HD in Media Center and went to set up TV signal. It immediately recognised the card and started downloading 840 channels. When finished I was able to tune to BBC HD and watch and record in the usual way.

Well done you guys. My next step isto see if I can set up a DVB-T (Freeview) tuner with it and sort out the almost useless ITV HD.

Hi,

Have a FireDTV too,

have installed W7 x64 too, and just can't scan into anything (tried ProgDVB x64, DVBDream, going crazy with DVBViewer 'standard' which doesn't load),

The install of beta drivers (5.3N) went fine, just can't open the standard DVBViewer included (even tried compatibility modes),

Was wondering if you installed the 64 bit version too, and with which drivers,

Thanks for help!

philbury

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London & Languedoc
x86 version here. I bought the full version of DVBviewer - I didn't like the cut down version which came with the card because I'm using DiseqC motorised dish.
Try the manufacturers' forums ans submit a 'support tool' report to Digital Everywhere. Best of luck.

speedy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV on Mac
My Location
Italy
Thanks for reply, appreciate

I submitted a ticket to support, they replied quickly (they usually do at Digital Everywhere), for the moment guess I'll have to postpone x64 Win 7,

Will try to install x86 version, hate to say, after years of x64 OS and processors running around (since XP Pro x64) to still have to settle for x86...!
Gee, getting a dual core x64 bit CPU hardware setup (and whatever upgrade in that sense) is nearly useless with Windows

Am happy with Win 7, so far I crash less than Vista (but Vista Beta was nice too)

Take care

lujo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar
My Location
Netherlands
philbury said:
Wow, I'm very impressed.

Philbury,

Did you try of can you try to use Vista Media Center of Windows 7 Media Center with you motorised dish?

I want to know if it's possible to move motorised dish with Media Center software in combination with Firedtv.

Thank you (sorry for my bad English)

philbury

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London & Languedoc
If you go to transponder scan I think it picks up the other satellites too. I can't remember properly as I realised I didn't want to do it and then have a thousand channels to edit in that clunky interface. I stuck with my usual satellite. Sorry for lack of clarity.