Diseqc motor position feedback

SST12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6900 Combo. 160G HDD. Technomate TM6902 Super Combo, 1TB HDD. 1.2Mtr Channel Master dish & Polar mount, Samsung LED HDTV's
My Location
Eastern England. UK
Hi All

What i am trying to achieve is to construct some kind of positional feedback system with a small display near my TM6900 to indicate dish position whilst searching.

I was thinking about using the pulse from the actuator reed magnet or opto coupler's with fine slotted disk fitted on top of the polar mount.

Looking at the actuator motor i could epoxy 2 small hall effect sensor ic's on the opposite side of the original reed switch arranged to give direction and pulsing information.

Just need to work out the counter circuit and logic for it.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The easiest way to get a decoder circuit and display would be to use an old PC, you you could read the sensors using the parallel port, after converting to TTL levels. Another method would be to use a PIC, but that could get complicated. Using discreet circuitry would be on the bottom of my list.

I have used both a PC ( a 486 laptop running DOS and Quickbasic) and a PIC to read an absolute shaft encoder (expensive) to do something similar. Using the PC, I was able to knock up a working system in half a day, using a PIC took me a month.

Completely different way of doing it though;):-

Put markers on the mount, and use a small camera, and screen, very cheap off ebay.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Robbo said:
The easiest way to get a decoder circuit and display would be to use an old PC, .....

The easiest way would be a small camera connected to the post and and tuned into the television.

(The cheapest way would be a set of mirrors allowing you to look at the dish)

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
An led (at the receiver end) going on when a diseqc motor is actually turning was always on my mind. Any ideas on how it can be done?

SST12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6900 Combo. 160G HDD. Technomate TM6902 Super Combo, 1TB HDD. 1.2Mtr Channel Master dish & Polar mount, Samsung LED HDTV's
My Location
Eastern England. UK
Hi Springer

I have just installed 2 LED's on the inside of my garage window so I can see both from my viewing position in the lounge.
The LED's 1 white for West, 1 Blue for East are wired in inverse parallel then connected via a current limiting resistance to my actuator motor terminals of my home made V box, see earlier post. http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...0294-driving-large-dish-diseqc-receivers.html. this works a treat:)

This should work fine on any diseqc mount, just remember to work out a suitable series current limiting resistance for your LED on your motor voltage and opening your mount will invalidate any warranty left on the unit.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
SST12 said:
I had to find a suitable actuator to drive my dish but didn’t want a V box plugged in and on show under my new Sony Bravia.
SST12 said:
What i am trying to achieve is to construct some kind of positional feedback system with a small display near my TM6900 to indicate dish position whilst searching.
Well this has kind of gone full circle (like reinventing the wheel). If you had put a v-box next to your Bravia TV you would have had the feedback that you've craved all along and wouldn't be straining to see a couple of LEDs in your garage window.

I've got to say I liked the power saving side, but not sure how real it is. A v-box uses about 5 watts when it is idle. Not sure what the DiSEqC board out of your actuator uses in comparison.

If you think the v-box is too ugly you could put it in a cupboard and just have the display showing... or fit a remote display to it.

Edit: I've got to say I love being able to just glance at my v-box and know where the dish is pointing and whether it is moving. It is so convenient that I am thinking of changing the Fibo to polar mount and actuator and doing away with the DiSEqC motor. The main problem seems to be getting a decent polar mount.

SST12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Eastern England. UK
Hi Huevos

Like I said in the original post's,

Only coax from back of garage routed to house under upstairs floor to lounge, no access or cable for actuator. Her indoors will not have cables visible.

All parts for home made V box from spares box, so didn't need to buy one

Av stand is all glass and tidy no room for Vbox.

My box works flawlessly in operation, the LED's i can see from my normal viewing chair
and I am very pleased with the result.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
SST12 said:
Only coax from back of garage routed to house under upstairs floor to lounge, no access or cable for actuator. Her indoors will not have cables visible.
SST12 said:
i am trying to achieve is to construct some kind of positional feedback system with a small display near my TM6900
Well, just having a couple of LEDs to tell you the dish is moving is hardly positional feedback. How about a giant seven segment LED display in the garage window? Even nicer would be mix it in with the TV picture.

SST12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Eastern England. UK
Huevos said:
Well, just having a couple of LEDs to tell you the dish is moving is hardly positional feedback.

How about a giant seven segment LED display in the garage window? Even nicer would be mix it in with the TV picture.

1. Used with my TM6900 OSD Gives me directional indication and whether the dish has reached either of its limits, or hasn't responded to a DiSEqC comand as before I had to keep going outside to check position.

2. Childish comment

P.S. Leaving a V box on 'Standy only would consume around 43-44 Kwh Per Year:eek::eek:

Mine is only energised for dish movement.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
SST12 said:
Leaving a V box on 'Standy only would consume around 43-44 Kwh Per Year:eek::eek:
5 watt/years. At the electric price here 1 watt/year costs 1.25€. So the v-box is costing me 6.25€ per annum.

SST12 said:
Mine is only energised for dish movement.
That's not true. Maybe the demand is smaller than the v-box but there is demand. The DiSEqC board is drawing power from your 6900 power supply whenever the coax is powered. If it wasn't powered it wouldn't be able to switch the v-box power supply on and off.