diseqc switch without diseqc switching receiver

FRAZER

Reaction score
OK, the title sounds a bit odd, but what I mean to ask is, what happens if a diesqc switch is connected to a receiver that can't control it; will the receiver simply connect to lnb 1, or will it not work at all?

Basically, I have a receiver running a motor, and also a DVB-s card connected to the same cable using a smart priority switch. I would like though to be able to connect two extra lnbs to the DVB-s card using a diseqc switch, but still be able to move the motor with the other receiver (which can't itself disecq switch whilst being used in a motorized system).

I know that connecting a completely separate cable would be the most obvious solution, but, due to where the cable runs, it would probably mean calling out the installation man, whereas I should be able to do the other things myself.

Thanks for any advice,

Frazer

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
it depends on the switch, the one I have for example, will leave the lnb switched to the last one it used. so using a loop though connection to my analogue receiver, i can choose astra or hotbird, by turing the digital unit on, selecting a channel from my chosen sat, then turning it off.

-cts

Schnuffi

Reaction score
My Location
Sunny, Germany
closetosoton said:
it depends on the switch, the one I have for example, will leave the lnb switched to the last one it used. so using a loop though connection to my analogue receiver, i can choose astra or hotbird, by turing the digital unit on, selecting a channel from my chosen sat, then turning it off.

-cts

I think your receiver is still suppling a signal to the switch because
I think the switch needs a constant signal to be activated except for
positron 1 witch needs no signal at all.

Rgds Schnuffi

FRAZER

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice; I now (nearly) have it up and running. I too have found that the disecq switch stayed fixed to the last lnb being used by the DVB-s card rather than reverting to lnb1, even though the motor receiver is the master on the priority switch. When I get the chance, though, I shall try it again with the computer actually switched off after using lnb2 to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again,

Frazer