dishes in exposed locations

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
as you might have heard we should be getting strong winds gales over england today which in my area has busted the fences either side of my house

anyway when i put my dish up and never thought of it but i'm in a exposed location to the wind and so far so good but is there anything i should do to protect it

do i move the dish so its in a position relative to the house ?

also been nervous of using it so currently stuck on hotbird

could the dish be bent by strong winds if i sent to another satellite?

watching the wind my dish sort of wobbles in the wind because of the bracket but how much stronger would t&k brackets be ?

thanks

wod

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Park the dish edge on to the wind as far as possible. Ive already heard of one dish torn off the wall overrnight when the bolt heads sheared.. :eek:

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
One of my dishes went scampering down the garden overnight. Mind you it was sitting on a tyre. :-flame :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Snap :D My 19E dish flipped over overnight and was pointing at the lawn when I went outside.....

:-downt

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
UK wind speeds:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
My dish was an old 90cm Sky mesh dish. I'm sure I could go over it with a steamroller and it will still work. It's went flying a few times and I sit it back up and it works great and today I sat it right on 19E and it was exactly aligned.

[/URL

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Analoguesat said:
Park the dish edge on to the wind as far as possible. Ive already heard of one dish torn off the wall overrnight when the bolt heads sheared.. :eek:

it seems to be holding up pretty well. i've just left it on hotbird the way the wind is blowing the dish face isn't head on with the wind direction

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
just great put my tv on and hotbird signal is rubbish the bloody wind has moved it

so every time its windy i'm going to have this problem, wish i hadn't of bother buying the damm thing

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
I haven't got a motorised system as I am high up and suffer from wind.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
wod said:
so every time its windy i'm going to have this problem, wish i hadn't of bother buying the damm thing

Get the T & K brackets.

Picture below, that's not the dish flying off at the top, it's my thumb. :)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
yeah but is that going to solve the problem by changing the mount ?

hotbird signal is dreadful was trying to watch dr dish tv but couldn't as the picture was just breaking up

just dont want to have to realign the dish every time , its going to get silly

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
wod said:
yeah but is that going to solve the problem by changing the mount ?

YES, if the mount is not stable your wasting your time.
Mine is rock solid.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Milkybarkid said:
I haven't got a motorised system as I am high up and suffer from wind.

:-lmao :-lmao :-rofl2

There really isnt a suitable reply to that!

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
Rob said:
YES, if the mount is not stable your wasting your time.
Mine is rock solid.

well i'll change the mount

but surely the dish will still move alittle with the wind even on t&kbrackets ?

what size are those you have used ?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
wod said:
what size are those you have used ?

Mine are 18" brackets, and if you get any movement after that it will be the play in the motor best to check that as well.

PS. Make sure that the securing bolts are heavy duty ones and are secured into the brickwork.

Best of luck.

cafc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon - fusion 2
TM7755
Slingbox
Dragon V3
My Location
London
I have a 1.1M above the roof line on my house, I stepped out earlier on to take a look, the dish is wobbling but not moving as such. I have a scaffold pole and huge bolts in my T&K's.

I sometimes wonder that the entire rig will one night pull the back wall off my house, I never find the alignment of the dish moves. For example I have left it on 16E overnight with higher winds than today and it has remained aligned.

The moral Of the story I am trying to get across is, if the mount etc is rock solid, then the dish wont move.

CAFC

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
what does that give you for east and west ?

just looking at the t&k bracket sizes 18inch seem about right but 24" only £3 more but seem too long

i have some scaffold poles so dont know why i didn't use them in the first place

cafc, its one of them l shaped brackets i have the dish on btw

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
_http://www.wizardsatellite.com/

18" (458mm) T+K Bracket And U bolts
£14.95

buying them and the fixing 10mm sleeve anchors if i remember

PJ02

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM, 36v Positioner, DB7020Si.
Diablo, CAS3+
My Location
Cheshire
it depends on how long you require, and where your going to place your dish.

I've just had to buy some 24" brackets as the dish has to go above the eves and the 18" would put the pole band in the middle of the gutter.

I believe the 3ft ones are for 3" poles though.

HTH

PJ