Dm800-se hd

WillowMan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 x 85cm transparent dishes - one fixed with 3 quattro LNBs 13E 19.5E 28.2E - one Vbox motorised dish 45E to 45W
DM7000, Sagem HD TNTSat, Strong SRT 6410 TNTSat
Triax 4 sat multiswitch
My Location
Midlands, Uk
I am thinking of buying an DM800-SE HD to replace my ageing DM 7000 which is wired through the ethernet port into my network. I stream TV over the network using Web-X-TV. Does the DM800-SE have the same network capabilities as the DM 7000? Some reviews seem to suggest that access is through the analogue modem or USB wireless.

Can anyone throw any light on this? I would like a DM8000 but they are a bit too expensive and lack an HDMI port. Knowing the track record of new devices appearing it may be that the new DM7020 HD is too far off.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
I have written a full review on avforums on the DM800se. It runs Enigma2 and therefore supports all the E2 features. The best image I have found for the 800se is the OpenPli image that has full support for all functionality (and you can even set up your own image building environemnt, which is great).
As with the DM800, DM500HD (don't know about the DM8000 as I don't have one) it streams standard definition without a problem, but unless you have a GOOD network, HD might glitch, using the web interface.
As a matter of interest; you might want to look at the VU+DUO as it gets very good feedback from owners, but I personally will stick with DreamMultimedia as I have had great backup from them.

Attachments

• Dream Multimedia Dreambox DM800HDse-small.zip
    18.5 KB · Views: 161

World-of-Satellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo 4K
GiGaBlue UHD Qaud 4K
GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K
VU+ Zero 4K
My Location
UK
I definatly take a look at VU+ Duo, better value for money imo.

WillowMan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 x 85cm transparent dishes - one fixed with 3 quattro LNBs 13E 19.5E 28.2E - one Vbox motorised dish 45E to 45W
Triax 4 sat multiswitch
My Location
Midlands, Uk
Thanks Shumifan - a very thorough review. If I buy one I will add a second tuner and internal disk drive.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
WillowMan said:
I would like a DM8000 but they are a bit too expensive and lack an HDMI port.
Vu+ Duo is a high quality receiver, much cheaper than the 8000, and it has an HDMI port. The tuners are fantastic and it runs super cool. Also Enigma 2. Streaming is flawless. Lots of support and images. It has 2 DVB-S2 tuners as stock and you can add tuners with USB sticks (terrestrial and satellite). Anyone that is used to a Dreambox 800 would feel right at home with a Vu+ (and vice versa). Duo has space for an internal hard drive, or you can use external eSata, USB HDD, or USB flash for recording, or even record straight to a NAS. For the money you can't beat it.

WillowMan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 4 sat multiswitch
My Location
Midlands, Uk
Huevos said:
Vu+ Duo is a high quality receiver, much cheaper than the 8000, and it has an HDMI port. The tuners are fantastic and it runs super cool. Also Enigma 2. Streaming is flawless. Lots of support and images. It has 2 DVB-S2 tuners as stock and you can add tuners with USB sticks (terrestrial and satellite). Anyone that is used to a Dreambox 800 would feel right at home with a Vu+ (and vice versa). Duo has space for an internal hard drive, or you can use external eSata, USB HDD, or USB flash for recording, or even record straight to a NAS. For the money you can't beat it.

Why are these so cheap? Although I think the Dreamboxes are overpriced I have learned over the years to be suspicious of things that look too good to be true. How compatible are they? Will they work with Gemini images?

I started with Hydra images back in 2005 and I use Flashwizard to manage images on a USB stick. When the Hydra stopped I switched to Pli who produced some excellent images. I switched to Gemini this year as Pli stopped supporting multiboot and don't include Hypercam in the blue panel. I use the TNTSat card from my Strong receiver in the DM7000 and Hypercam is often the only softcam to work with the TNTSat card.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
WillowMan said:
Why are these so cheap?
They are not cheap, they are nearly 400GBP. If you think that is cheap get yourself two. Dreambox is definitely overpriced, you've just got to look at the price difference between it and the clones to realise that.

When you say how compatible is the Vu+ you need to realise a Vu+ Duo is not a Dreambox, nor is it trying to be. Vu has it's own images, it doesn't run Dreambox images. Think about it, it is a different spec than a Dreambox 800 for example, so just as the 800 and 8000 need different images, so does the Vu. Personally I use the VIX image but there are many different teams supporting the Vu+ Duo including PLI and DE.

BTW, when it comes to the tuner quality there is nothing out there that comes close to it.

BTW2, TNTSAT currently works fine just using CCcam 2.2.1.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
WillowMan@ I, as most think that Dreamboxes are expensive for features BUT I also know they provide excellent support if anything goes wrong. There are many image builders out there for dreamboxes and we know DreamMultimedia will be around in the future. I started my Linux experience with a TM9100 that was "great" and was going to wipe the floors with Dream. I soon discovered that TM was just in to make a quick buck and that the box support was thin and images unstable. So I will never buy anything other than Dreambox. I like you think that if it seems to good to be true, it is.

One warning: the DM800se does not support dual tuners at the moment. If that is what you want then go for the DM8000 or VU+DUO or, if you can, wait until March and see what happens.

Why are these so cheap: VU had the benefit of looking at the DM800, reducing their R&D cost. This is apparent if you look at the elapsed time after the DM800 before the VU was released. They also learned that the 300MHz CPU could not cope with HD (DM800HD) and used a 400MHz CPU like the DM800se and DM8000. So it is not quite a clone, but close.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
shumifan50 said:
They also learned that the 300MHz CPU could not cope with HD (DM800HD) and used a 400MHz CPU like the DM800se and DM8000. So it is not quite a clone, but close.
It's a quality box, made in Korea, with a decent power supply that is capable of driving a DiSEqC motor. It runs cool, has space for internal Sata hard drive, and has the sufficient processing power and RAM to run two or more HD tuners. How does that make it close to being a Dreambox clone?

WillowMan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 4 sat multiswitch
My Location
Midlands, Uk
Huevos said:
TNTSAT currently works fine just using CCcam 2.2.1.

With my DM7000 TNTSat did work with CCcam 2.2.1 until about 2 weeks ago when it stopped. Nothing would work with TNTSat until Hypercam 2.11 was released. I tried CCcam 2.2.1 again yesterday without success but Hypercam 2.11 works fine.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
WillowMan said:
With my DM7000 TNTSat did work with CCcam 2.2.1 until about 2 weeks ago
I haven't got the card here anymore but it was working a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it's down to a key change.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Thanks for the TNT tip WM - Ive finally got my newly acquired TNTSat card working :D :)