DM8000 - A Little Detail Please ?

healeydave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IT: 1 x iMax 27" Quad Core, 2 x iMac 24" (running OSX & OSX Server) 1 x Macbook Air
AV: MacMini Plex Media Centre, SpearNZB Episode Downloader, DM500, DM8000
My Location
uk
Thanks Llew, I think that's finally made my mind up :-)

The hardest thing now will be to find someone with stock!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Pretty sure it was letterbox. I don't have the portable set up now, maybe someone else can verify for sure.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
healeydave, I have exactly that setup. I have a scart to RF converter that feeds the output from my DM8000 back to my loftbox which then distributes the signal to all 4 TV's in my house. One of those TV's is an old 4:3 14" portable TV. So I watch HD via DVI output and then the same channel is 4:3 or 16:9 to my other TV's.

healeydave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IT: 1 x iMax 27" Quad Core, 2 x iMac 24" (running OSX & OSX Server) 1 x Macbook Air
My Location
uk
Thanks B16MCC,

I have a DGS box at the moment.
The firmware sucks when it comes to PVR functionality (when you compare with a Tivo) so as a result the rest of the family (wife & kids) won't let me get rid of the Tivo. That means I can have to keep the Tivo attached via Scart to do all the intelligent stuff like Season Passes, Wishlists etc.

Ideally, I would use the HDMI when I wanted to live quality stuff (like sport etc) and still be able to record stuff in SD from the scart.

Unfortunately, the DGS box will only run one output at a time, so I have to keep the box in SD all the time irrespectively :-(

I was going to wait for the software to improve on the DGS (which I think it will eventually) but the list of improvements is long and the progress is very slow so far with nothing to suggest thats going to change significantly in the future, so think I might sell it and get the DM8000 if I can find any!

healeydave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
Right, I have bitten the bullet and ordered a DM8000 , I made an error paying 600 euros for a CubeRevo HD, so I sure hope I'm not making the same mistake paying 969 Euros for a DM8000 :-)

P.S.
What is perceived to be the best image to flash the box with? (I am UK based if that makes any difference).

meagain123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skydigibox, DM8000, DM800, SkyStar2 CI
My Location
UK
I live in the UK and find the Nabilosat Blackhole v0.9 more stable than v0.10 and recommend you give it a try. It also keeps my sky card alive and the internal card readers can read it. If you want to try more than one image use Barry Allen for multi-booting there is plenty of information about on various forums.
Hope you enjoy your Dm8000!

sblinx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm8000, dm500hd
linux winXP windows 7
My Location
malta
What is perceived to be the best image to flash the box with? (I am UK based if that makes any difference).

i'm using the nabilo blackhole v010 ... best image by far