DVI to HDMI cable - quality?

Xstyle

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD, motorized dish, 1.5tb HDD & Sony DVD slot-in D/L drive.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi guys,
My DM8000 will soon be with me, and I am keen to get all set-up as soon as possible.

I know the dvi to hdmi cable comes with the item, but is it any good??

Will I be better off getting an upgraded cable (perhaps custom made)? I have come here from the AVForums ... I do like quality!

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Xstyle

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Xstyle said:
Hi guys,
My DM8000 will soon be with me, and I am keen to get all set-up as soon as possible.

I know the dvi to hdmi cable comes with the item, but is it any good??

Will I be better off getting an upgraded cable (perhaps custom made)? I have come here from the AVForums ... I do like quality!

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Xstyle

Why not wait until you open the package and check the cable quality yourself?
Plenty of time later on to spend money.
Obviously it is not going to be of the best quality that you demand, but it might do the job without any noticeable effects.
A good quality cable can cost quite a bit.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Don't forget that the signal is digital so you'll either get a good picture or not.

There's no gradual degradation in the quality of the picture. You'll soon know whether you need a better quality cable if you get piellation or complete loss.

Xstyle

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks guys, have decided to get the cable now anyway...
I have decided to contact Mark Grant and get a "BetterCables HDMI to DVI cable" for around £55 - ish...

I'm not posting a link to the site after getting told off a couple of days ago! (oops!)

... it looks fab!

"The new BetterCables Display Magic HDMI Cables offer the highest quality digital picture and sound. Fully HDCP-compliant. High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is the first industry-supported, uncompressed audio/video interface. HDMI provides an interface between any HDMI-enabled audio/video source, such as a set-top box, DVD player, and A/V receiver and an audio and/or video monitor or projector."

Should be better than the standard cable!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
You can post a link, but just remember to precede the URL with an underscore like this
_http://www.domain.com
Without the underscore, the URL becomes live and search engines can add them to there databases for search retrieval.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Don't see why that one should be any better than the supplied cable. I'm quite happy with the one that came with my DB8000. I might consider getting a custom one if I need to run one of longer length, but the source and display circuitry has a far greater bearing on picture quality.

Llew

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Xstyle said:
I have decided to contact Mark Grant and get a "BetterCables HDMI to DVI cable" for around £55 - ish...
Thats a rip off IMO. People are being fleeced with the ridiculous prices on HDMI cables. :mad:

Xstyle

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
BetterCables no longer ship that item to the UK so not available.
I will stick to the standard cable ... saved myself £60! lol

cheers.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Good sense prevails!

There's just so much hype around on cables and interconnects. I really can't believe how so many people get fleeced and the companies still aren't hung out to dry.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I have to mention though that with scart cables, there are definitely some duff specimens around. Avoid cheap ones (crosstalk, RGB phasing problems, mismatch).

You don't need to buy those ridiculously expensive ones; just make sure they're fully shielded.

Llew

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Llew said:
Don't see why that one should be any better than the supplied cable. I'm quite happy with the one that came with my DB8000. I might consider getting a custom one if I need to run one of longer length, but the source and display circuitry has a far greater bearing on picture quality.

Llew

Precisely that! no more no less to be said.

clweb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PC XP SP3
Dremabox 7000
Qbox HD
My Location
France
Llew said:
I have to mention though that with scart cables, there are definitely some duff specimens around. Avoid cheap ones (crosstalk, RGB phasing problems, mismatch).

You don't need to buy those ridiculously expensive ones; just make sure they're fully shielded.

Llew

SCART cable are forwarding analog signals. Here the quality of cable and connectors is crucial. Cheap scart cables have often oxydation of the connectors and so loss of one ore more color signals. By digital signals it is not so important. But don't expect too much with cables for less than 1£.

jonnymaserati

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 with Nabilo Black Hole, 2.0m motorised dish with DiSEqC controler and twin LNB.

Mac Mini with FireDTV S2 and Elgato EyeTV (currently not in use)

Sky+ HD box and subscription (currently not in use as card is in Dreambox).
My Location
Syria
the supplied cable is fine in my opinion... only issue for me is that it's a bit short.

it also carries the audio which initially was an issue for me since i was expecting it only to carry video. so i'm getting full surround (5.1) on sly 1 HD via the DVI to HDMI cable to my amp... sounds great!

jonnymaserati

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 with Nabilo Black Hole, 2.0m motorised dish with DiSEqC controler and twin LNB.

Mac Mini with FireDTV S2 and Elgato EyeTV (currently not in use)

Sky+ HD box and subscription (currently not in use as card is in Dreambox).
My Location
Syria
the supplied cable is fine in my opinion... only issue for me is that it's a bit short.

it also carries the audio which initially was an issue for me since i was expecting it only to carry video. so i'm getting full surround (5.1) on sly 1 HD via the DVI to HDMI cable to my amp... sounds great!

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
This might sound like a dumb question but here goes.

I have a 42" Plasma which is capable of displaying HD, but being an older model only has DVI and VGA inputs for HD signals. I tried a HDMI-DVI convertor on a DVD player, but could only play backups because the DVI port on the TV dosen't accept HDCP. Would I get the same problem with a HD Sat reciever, or would a HDMI to DVI cable work in this case ?

Thanks, Rick

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
This might sound like a dumb question but here goes.

I have a 42" Plasma which is capable of displaying HD, but being an older model only has DVI and VGA inputs for HD signals. I tried a HDMI-DVI convertor on a DVD player, but could only play backups because the DVI port on the TV dosen't accept HDCP. Would I get the same problem with a HD Sat reciever, or would a HDMI to DVI cable work in this case ?

Thanks, Rick

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
If the sat receiver supports HDCP, and it probably will, then you'll get the same problem.

The root cause sounds like the TV is too early to support HDCP and there's (probably!) no way round that.

If it's an oldish TV, does it not have component video input? If the receiver also has component output that would be a way round with only a minimal loss in quality.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
If the sat receiver supports HDCP, and it probably will, then you'll get the same problem.

The root cause sounds like the TV is too early to support HDCP and there's (probably!) no way round that.

If it's an oldish TV, does it not have component video input? If the receiver also has component output that would be a way round with only a minimal loss in quality.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Thanks, I thought that would be the answer you would give. Just had the thought that maybe it was just DVD players that used HDCP.

Alas, there is no component input. 2 x Scart, Composite, S-Vhs, DVI and VGA.

I got it cheap about 5 years ago just as the first lot of "HD Ready" tv's were being released. The advice at the time was It would be fine for HD as it had DVI, as is capable of displaying full 1080p.

I have connected my PC with SkyStar2 and the picture was great, but I prefer to have a reciever.

Looks like I'll have to go back to my origional plan of upgrading the TV at some point.

Thanks Again

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Thanks, I thought that would be the answer you would give. Just had the thought that maybe it was just DVD players that used HDCP.

Alas, there is no component input. 2 x Scart, Composite, S-Vhs, DVI and VGA.

I got it cheap about 5 years ago just as the first lot of "HD Ready" tv's were being released. The advice at the time was It would be fine for HD as it had DVI, as is capable of displaying full 1080p.

I have connected my PC with SkyStar2 and the picture was great, but I prefer to have a reciever.

Looks like I'll have to go back to my origional plan of upgrading the TV at some point.

Thanks Again