Ebay oddbods

brewby

Reaction score
I've just watched somebody pay £125 for an Interstar DSR 2 CI Premium Receiver, yet in the sellers other items is the same receiver with an 0.3 monoblock LNB for £115. It does'nt make sense does it? Even if you don't need the lnb you can sell it for 15 quid and still only pay a ton for the receiver.'DUUUURGH'!!!!. Must be the thrill of the auction carrying them away.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It goes like that, some people only watch one item and may put in a high maximum bid to start off with.

hammerboy

Reaction score
Been watching the golden interstar twin .3 lnbs listed daily for the last few weeks they would sell around 9pm every night for anything from £7.50 to £14,the shop must have got a bit cheesed off with the low selling price as after mondays went for the grand sum of £4.11 with unbeliveably 10 bids getting it there,they took to starting bidding at £19.95 plus the usual £3.95 postage,was very tempted but decided im going the invacom route for my soon to buy triax!:)

joeuk2000

Reaction score
My Location
Stoke on Trent, UK
I always bid with 5 seconds to go, that way you don't get carried away in a bidding frenzy, and if someone has put in a higher maximum bid, then so be it :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Most people don't know how to use eBay - checking completed item, sniping, even search for same items, viewing feedback, other items, etc.

Thought about doing a training leaflet one day.

Here's a great site that will check for wrongly worded items - you sometimes grab a bargain ;-)

h**p://fatfingers.co.uk/Default.aspx?from=MyFatFingers

The charges are steep now - with eBay, PayPal, Post Office and VAT man making more money than the sellers in a lot of cases!

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
joeuk2000 said:
I always bid with 5 seconds to go, that way you don't get carried away in a bidding frenzy, and if someone has put in a higher maximum bid, then so be it :)

That wouldn't work with my items 'cos if there is no bidding I sometimes withdrawn them early. No way am I letting anyone in with 5 secs to go and getting the item for min bid. And when you put them back in a week later you often get people bidding straight away, if they missed it last time 'cos they waited too long.
I put an item in at £4.99 and half an hour before the end of the auction no bids.Withdrew it. Put it back a week later at an opening bid of £8.99 and within a day had my minimum bid. Eventually went for £33. I'd have been cheesed if someone had come in the first time with the £4.99 min a few seconds before the end.

joeuk2000

Reaction score
My Location
Stoke on Trent, UK
Milkybar, I then wouldn't bid on your items! :) Which is no loss to you, but a gain for me.

We are comming from different perspectives, you are a seller, I am a buyer. I bought a brandnew VxMulti-2 programmer for £10.50, previous ones from the Seller went for £27 and £31, so I got a good bargain, I wouldn't of paid over £15 in any case.

As brewby said in the original mail.. some people get carried away in a bidding frenzy, which appeals to the seller as they get more money. As a buyer you try and get the item at the cheapest price, which is the whole point of an auction!

I've also learnt if you you loose out on ebay, within a few days theres always a similair item which can be bought at a reasonable price.

In both cases as a seller or a buyer, sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some :)

kebabinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500S
80cm dish
.2db lnb
Gemini 3.5
CCcam1.71
Sky netgear wireless router
zoom gameport ethernet adapter
satankeybundle + autoupdater
My Location
UK
i got my interstar off the same people for £75. i bid on a number of them but had my mximum price i wouldnt go past. some of the ones i didint get went for £125+

its like what you said, joeuk2000, if you lose out on one. there will be another one on there within a few days.

it appears i may have paid over the odds for my monoblock though......

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
Yes the buyer and the seller have to approach ebay from different perspectives.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Don't you have to give a reason for removal of an item?

If you do this regularly can your account not get suspended? You still have to pay the listing fee.

You could bid the minimum early then you can't withdraw the item and you may still get it for that price.

I have also seen item get a lot of bids in the last minute and the price goes high.

From a sellers point of view, I don't like the fact that if you start bidding at - say - £4 and someone is willing to pay £20 and bids that then the price only jumps to £4.50 and you will never get to the £20 unless lots of other bidders join in.

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
" Don't you have to give a reason for removal of an item? "

If there are no bidders I think it's quite legit to remove an item early,but you do state why you have removed the item. "No longer for sale", "wrong price listed" etc, ebay give you a list of reasons and you pick one.
If someone bids the minimum with an hour or two to go then I would leave it in.

Don't forget some people bid and then remove their bid,although if they state they withdrew the bid 'cos they bid the wrong amount they are supposed to come back and bid again,......but many don't.