Advice Needed Elevation, how do you measure it?

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
i have a dish that's rusty. The markings are all gone from the mount. I know I need my elevation to be at 26.5 and I have an angle calculator on my iPhone to show me angles.

What angle am I measuring? Is it the arm? The front if the lnb?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Dish.jpg

(Pic courtesy of Topper)

The Elevation as per the scale on the bracket refers to the upper dotted line "Actual view of dish".

The dish face ("Apparent view ....") will be much less than this owing to the Offset angle of the Arm.

eg If the arm is offset by 25 deg (they usually are in that ballpark) and the required Elevation is 23.5 deg, then the dish face will be at 23.5 - 25 deg = -1.5 deg or depressed from vertical by 1.5 deg.

This is why, for example, yer actual Sky dish seems to have a near vertical dish face even though the Satellites are high in the sky.

So, in the absence of a scale or other means of measuring, simply start alignment with the dish face a tiny bit up from vertical by eye, for your specific case of a desired Elevation of 26.5 deg. You can then adjust it as necessary by trial and error in the same way as you do with azimuth >> Tweak and Peak.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I wouldn't get too involved with mechanical elevation presetting, as long as it's approximately correct, fine adjustments will peak it, I believe you have a meter, that's what the meter is for.

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
Thanks for the diagram that really helps, I was using an angle meter wondering why the angles didn't match up. It really helps to have a good understanding of the science behind things, I'm a visual person so the diagrams really help.

Many thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You're welcome - It's what we're here for :)