Expected life of a Diseqc switch?

roaduser

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Mvision HD-270CN Sly oval and 80cm through Diseqc for astra 28.2 and 19.2. Technomate 6900 combo and Metronic for other rooms. Optical Audio for 5.1 through Technics receiver.
My Location
Lincolnshire
Ive had two go on me in 2 years. Must admit they were cheap. When the second one started to go channels were dropping like flies with no pattern. Very bizzare.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Weird. I blew a port on one a few years ago after an accidental short circuit, but Ive never had one fail in about 8 or 9 years of using them

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Depends upon many factors: Some models are reputed to fail when posed with passing H-H Motor current, but mine does that and it is four years old.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
In the 15 years I've used diseqc switches on multiple installations I've only had one stop working.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
I like my Gecens..
8pot generic 1.1 switch ..
Will pass 1.2 and 1.3 commands..and handle diseqc 1.0
I've had one in service for over 2 years ..and believe me I've loaded it some.
Currently have a daisy chain in effect where the signal and controls to access the SL3 Ka band signals are ..
Split at the common input to a seperate conventional Diseqc 1.0 switch ..this signal is then taken away to control a Vbox for the Gibby ..port1 and the Gecen.
diseqc 1.1 signals from the 3 lnbs Ku /Ka D ..and SL3 Ka which also has to pass through an IF convertor are funnelled through an in line amp ..and then through the relevant Gecen port to the correct LNB.
So for exaple If I want to move to 19.2 (Ka) and activate the SL3 low band (A) ..I have to issue firstly a diseqc 1.0 signal (AA) port1 ..and a disec 1.1 signal port 7 ...and a raw diseqc command E2 03 00 ..all passed through an in line amp...
In short ..I rate the Gecen and only costing around £12 each ..
I have a spare in reserve ..but I don't expect to have to replace it any time soon.
rgds
VS

roaduser

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Mvision HD-270CN Sly oval and 80cm through Diseqc for astra 28.2 and 19.2. Technomate 6900 combo and Metronic for other rooms. Optical Audio for 5.1 through Technics receiver.
My Location
Lincolnshire
I brought the switch indoors (round the back of the telly) and after a bit of re wiring its working again. Thats after I bought a new switch of course. doh. It will need to go back outside though as I plan to either 1. face 13 and have an extra lnb on a bracket for 19.2 OR 2 have another dish facing 13 stand alone. Ive never played around with these brackets so I don't know how good they are. I did have success with a monoblock on 13 and 19.2 but no good to me here with a Diseqc switch already present.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've used lots, but have also had a few fail in the past few years.

roaduser

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lincolnshire
Spoke too soon, started failing again, channels drop off one by one when turning over. Very strange.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
What leads you to conclude the switch is the culprit?

What about the Receiver, or cable condition (For example)?

Surely switch failure would mean default Port A being selected permanently (For example): I mean, I can't envision a switch failure mode that would result in the effect you describe.

Edit: I see you bought a new switch - Have you checked if that stops the problem?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Having run four Vantage 4/1 diseqc switches and a Spaun 4/1 switch outside for well over a year, the only time I've had symptoms as you describe, it has proved to be a cable problem due mainly to water ingress at the LNB connection. The switches have been very reliable.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yep. Cable degradation of some sort is more like it ;)

roaduser

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lincolnshire
waiting for the post man to come with new one.

Why i think its the switch is because when i have a dedicated lnb either of my two (i.e remove the switch), it works effortlessly.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well yes, but the switch itself consumes a small amount of current and also inserts a small amount of loss and noise.

So, if a cable section is either damaged, poorly connected or moist (I love that word: Very Stephen Fry), then the extra demands imposed by inserting the switch could tip the system from acceptable performance to the state you report.

roaduser

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lincolnshire
Was thinking the exact same thing as I read your post. The current could be going open due to loss. I feel a rewire coming on. Ive only just moved and haven't been up a ladder yet to inspect the oval as its right on top of the house because of trees. Luckily there's gap for anything from 19.2 and 13.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Earlier designs had micro relays inside the casig, that could 'stick'. a quick tap with a screwdriver was often enough to free them off, but once they got damp iside them they needed replacing.

A nonymous

Reaction score
I find if you use a decent branded one they usually last for years. I have a tendency to use Global Invacom or Fracarro ones if i can get them. Never had a problem with them.

Of the cheaper branded ones i have used quite a few SAB ones with very few issues. The only one that has ever failed was due to water ingress caused by the customer using that old CT100 cable with the air spaced honeycomb insulation which just acted as a big straw that sucked the water up the cable straight into the switch.

Nano