Exploding freeview box

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65cm dish for Sky+ linked to all rooms, all with own remote and magic eye. Second box in home office (no multi room subscription just use card from main box if needed) 3rd box in bedroom Freeview in other rooms. Free cable in dining room Two 53cm mi
My Location
Leicestershire UK
Tonight the freeview box in the living room literally exploded

It was in standby and wasn't being used, ther was a very loud bang and the box jumped about 1 inch in the air followed by a cloud of acrid black smoke and a scramble behind the TV for the plug.

Photos are of burnt bit on circuit board and burns to inside of casing.

2007_1115bang0005.jpg

2007_1115bang0006.jpg

It was a Digihome DVB915 and only about 18 month's old.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi madrat :)

Lucky you were there when it happened.
It could have caused more damage, or possibly cause a fire.

I won't be buying one of those, that's for sure.

Robbo

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
It was indeed lucky you were there. How long have you had the box? May be worth investigating the guarantee that came with it it you purchased it in the last couple of years.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Scary... stay clear of all that dodgy terrestrial stuff m8 :D

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
Wow. Near miss mate. :eek:

The damage looks purely cosmetic though -
I take it the box is still OK? :-doh2

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65cm dish for Sky+ linked to all rooms, all with own remote and magic eye. Second box in home office (no multi room subscription just use card from main box if needed) 3rd box in bedroom Freeview in other rooms. Free cable in dining room Two 53cm mi
My Location
Leicestershire UK
Box is completely dead, Its about 18 months old got it from Amazon still available, also this is the same box tesco were offering for £10. The box comes under many names and different colours.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Digihome as in the one that uses the Star Trek: The Next Generation title font? :confused

But an exploding box, gawd, I thought my radiator was bad!!! I'm just glad my Oggle freeview box is still going strong, but I do have 2 nokia 9850Ts incase it does... :eek:

I do hope you get your money back...

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicestershire UK

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
See if you can see the value (and voltage rating) of that cap.
Could have been an incorrect cap fitted.

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicestershire UK
cant read anything on it, all melted and distorted.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Yep, it is the same brand I thought it was... :)

Regarding reading the ratings, I wouldn't bother, if the idea is to replace it, there's probably another 50 components that have been damaged that will also need replacing, so it'd end up being cheaper to replace the box... :)

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
I'd charge extra for explosions ;)

Caned Toad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Portland DP100 STB,
Asus Tiger Hybrid +
Kworld DBT100 +
Skystar 2 HTPC
My Location
UK
I'd say that the mental anguish caused by the whole "terrifying" incident would be worth a large settlement. :p

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
Drama Queen U-zzz

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicestershire UK
well Amazon replied to the email saying sorry out of guarantee so tough luck. Not that I'm that bothered, Decided to scrap all the freeview boxes and replace with sky boxes and FTA card before it exploded. Freeview is so crap, the only boxes I have that the sound and picture doesn't brake up on every time something in my house or the neighbours house's are switched on or off are the Sagam ones, Satellite is so much more reliable.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Mad Rat said:
well Amazon replied to the email saying sorry out of guarantee so tough luck. Not that I'm that bothered, Decided to scrap all the freeview boxes and replace with sky boxes and FTA card before it exploded. Freeview is so crap, the only boxes I have that the sound and picture doesn't brake up on every time something in my house or the neighbours house's are switched on or off are the Sagam ones, Satellite is so much more reliable.

I agree there, the channel changes are soooooo slow aswell... i used to have a pace freeview box few year back,.. everytime i flicked through and went past BBC Parliment the box crashed... i think it was because it was more interactive based at the time.... in the end i through it out as it wound me up so much.. i then got another pace box.. nice little thing... bit weired though as the power and ariel supply plugged into the scart socket.. weired junk.. ended up throwing that out of the window.. as indeed as stated just kept crashing..

I'm waiting eagerly for Freesat to Launch :)

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicestershire UK
I even use a 12v sky box in the caravan

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Only use the freeview box for channel 4 & 5. Oh and a bit of Star Trek on Virgin.

Sat much more reliable. The other day when it was snowing, all telly went off. Biffed the sat dish with a brush and we were working again. Freeview didn't work all night and the aerial's in the loft.:-doh!

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicestershire UK
thats why freeview didn't work, snow on the roof would block the signal

Freeview and indoor aerial do not and never will mix.

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
I'm afraid I'm with you on the sat/freeview choice. It's gonna be sat every time.
Once I can get 4 & 5 without having Mr Murdoch's gear, I'm afraid the freeview will be the new doorstop.