Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
not everyone is obsessed with inox ;)
Agree with you, there are some crazy ones, they think that INOX is better than rusty material. And they also think that INOX is much more expensive than usual metal.... I agree with them BTW. ;)

Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Agree with you, there are some crazy ones, they think that INOX is better than rusty material. And they also think that INOX is not much expensive than usual metal.... I agree with them BTW. ;)

I will be fitting INOX to every part of my 1.8 project, I totally agree with what you say, but people are entitled to keep there dish as they please, my post saying its not my dish did not mean I have no interest in dishes than my own,

I was saying its not my place to tell st1 in this case his dish is terrible its his dish and I would not dream of telling him how to keep it.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I will be fitting INOX to every part of my 1.8 project
Aw, I see, you are one of them! :-biglaugh We could share some experience of getting INOX parts to be able to get them even cheaper than they are. I have friend who works in the shop, he offers me special prices, so we could compare best deals we can get.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Aw, I see, you are one of them! :-biglaugh We could share some experience of getting INOX parts to be able to get them even cheaper than they are. I have friend who works in the shop, he offers me special prices, so we could compare best deals we can get.

Sorry Rimants no chance of that:(:D:), your a A2 INOX man:eek:, I am a A4:D

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
No problem, Martin, when they are short of A2 parts I take A4 ones. It already happened several times.
I live not far from sea, but still did not experienced any troubles with A2 INOX ;)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
No problem, Martin, when they are short of A2 parts I take A4 ones. It already happened several times.
I live not far from sea, but still did not experienced any troubles with A2 INOX ;)

For marine conditions you need more resistance to corrosion. Adding molybdenum (2-3%) to the mix provides this extra cover and gives us the A4 grade ;).

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I know, but I go at sea with my dishes very seldom..... I mean - never :-rofl2

A

archive10

I will be fitting INOX to every part of my 1.8 project, I totally agree with what you say, but people are entitled to keep there dish as they please, my post saying its not my dish did not mean I have no interest in dishes than my own,

I was saying its not my place to tell st1 in this case his dish is terrible its his dish and I would not dream of telling him how to keep it.
Rimant: What Martin is saying is that you may have mixed up the posters...
The picture you have circled on is of my mount sitting in my garden in Copenhagen.

Screws are the ones that came with the dish when I bought it second hand.
They are about as rusty as when I bought it.
Have to admit that it was not subjected to a bath-tub nor stearm-clean when I got it (in any case, it would be a little impractical to get into the bathroom). ;-)
Still, works great... :cool:

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
is of my mount sitting in my garden in Copenhagen
I see, you dish! Than it completely another story! Nice install! :D @st1 ? I am joking that way. Of course, some rusty bolts can not change performance of the dish. And even if dish is washed with most expensive shampoo and with steam, it will probably perform same o_O . same is about my car, which is usually dirty, but can run at the same speed when it is clean.
I maybe little bit obsessed by INOX material and clean dishes, but this is only mine problem. I like to get second-hand sat equipment and work on it to make it look like new. Sometimes even without any real installation. But with ambitious plans for the future.
That is my confession.
Please do not feel offended.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
It was only a bit of banter on my part, but I did have fun twisting it a little :), like I say I will be fitting INOX to my 1.8 install, and then onto a revamp on the 1.2 after, nothing wrong with INOX its the way to go for a new install/refurb if you want it to last longer:).

A

archive10

Don't worry, just joking a bit. :cool:
The CM180 was one of my first proper installs, so it just was what was there.
TBH if I were to put it up today, I would change all the bolts to - yes! - INOX.
(I have done so on all my later 1.x installs.)
Have to confess that I just buy mine at Bauhaus, where they've only got A2 I believe,
But sure to be better than the rusty stuff CM always provide with their mounts...

Zimmerframe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM motorised, 1.8m CM not installed, Et9000 receiver
My Location
Ireland
Just stumbled upon this thread, while searching for polar mount and sounds like a good place to land.
I have a motorised 1 .2m CM installed for years and acquired a "like new" 1.8 CM a couple of years ago and never got around to fitting it. It's a 4.5" Az/El mount like so:

andrews1.8back-500x500.gif

I have a new 24" actuator, feed horn and V-box and would be all ready for action if I could convert the Az/El to a polar mount.

I have access to loads of machinery and can do the fabrication myself and a m8 would even get the new parts galvanised for me.

Anyone got any advice/measurements photos on how to make a "good 'un" as I don't really want to go butchering the Az/El mount unless I'm pretty confident that I will end up with a "good" polar mount.

Thanks

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Martin!
Thanks, nice picture! Are you sure it is not aluminum :eek:
But @Zimmerframe question: I do not think you should convert existing Az/El mount to polar-mount (PM), you better make PM from scratch. BTW, I have one PM custom made, Martin, guess what kind of material is used :rolleyes:
P1260711 (Large).JPG

Zimmerframe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM motorised, 1.8m CM not installed, Et9000 receiver
My Location
Ireland
Thanks for the replies, yes I suppose it's better not to butcher the Az/El mount.
It's strange on all the enthusiast satellite forums where the CM is usually the "favoured" dish, I have yet to see any specific instructions on making a polar mount, loads of posts on people who have "made one", but usually all that's to be seen is blurry pictures.
The only half decent pics of a "made" 1.8 polar mount that I have seen is on the "super....." site, but at that price, I think my dish will remain fixed or stay in the garage.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thanks for the replies, yes I suppose it's better not to butcher the Az/El mount.
It's strange on all the enthusiast satellite forums where the CM is usually the "favoured" dish, I have yet to see any specific instructions on making a polar mount, loads of posts on people who have "made one", but usually all that's to be seen is blurry pictures.
The only half decent pics of a "made" 1.8 polar mount that I have seen is on the "super....." site, but at that price, I think my dish will remain fixed or stay in the garage.

I am in the process of making one, you don't really need measurement, just start cutting and welding steal, the main thing is that everything pivots as it should, keep everything straight and make sure you drill very precisely.

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin + SF8008 SUPREME + Uclan Ustym 4K PRO Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombo x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Geant-OTT 750 ALLURE EVO 4K + Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
I am in the process of making one, you don't really need measurement, just start cutting and welding steal, the main thing is that everything pivots as it should, keep everything straight and make sure you drill very precisely.
Sounds good martin.....hope it may help my situation.

Best wishes with this. :)