Just Sharing This Fire not far from where I live

A

Archive7

It is a hot day today. All of a sudden I heard several sirens wailing and there is a smell of smoke in the air.
A building had a fire in the 9th floor and it was spreading to other floors.
Here are some recent photos.
706566101001893640360no.jpg 1_wa.jpg 2_wa.jpg

Attachments

• 70656358972966640360no.jpg
    70656358972966640360no.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 11

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Hope everyone was able to get out.

I live in a 26 story tower block in Helsinki. We have high pressure water mist sprinklers in every room. There has been one fire started by someone drying shoes in the sauna but that was put out by the system before the fire brigade got to the scene.

A

Archive7

Hope everyone was able to get out.

I live in a 26 story tower block in Helsinki. We have high pressure water mist sprinklers in every room. There has been one fire started by someone drying shoes in the sauna but that was put out by the system before the fire brigade got to the scene.
Thank you for asking. No one was hurt. They climbed up to the roof top and the fire fighters got them down safely.
The water sprinkler is a great idea. I am sure new building have them now.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
One would have to be a nutjob to live in a place where climbing out of a window means certain death.

Korea (south) used to have fireproof ladders in every hotel that could reach about 12 foot from the ground but only as far up as the sixth floor, which is a compromise.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
That looks like central TA to me HB
I have to say considering the ferocity of the fire there is very little smoke

A

Archive7

That looks like central TA to me HB
I have to say considering the ferocity of the fire there is very little smoke
It is actually on the outskirt of Tel Aviv, but in a strategic point because just few meters away there is a connection to the Ayalon Highway going north. In the first photo, to the left of the upper bridge is Tel Aviv and underneath the bridge is the Ayalon highways going south and north. In the middle is the railway.
Most of the original apartments owners left because of the Ayalon highway and rented the apartments as offices, and those who couldn't afford to move stayed on.
Most probably the cause was an electric short.

I remember few years ago on the eve of Yum Kippur (Fasting day), I smelt smoke. I think I have a built in smoke detection device which is not always to my advantage especially when garlic eaters are near me.
I looked out my window and saw that in the apartment directly below me, fire was coming out of the air conditioner.
I rushed downstairs and my neighbor who was too busy in the kitchen preparing for the big day didn't even know what was happening. So I switched off her main electricity switch and filled buckets with water and we both extinguished the fire in a short time. Didn't need to call the fire fighters.

A

Archive7

One would have to be a nutjob to live in a place where climbing out of a window means certain death.

Korea (south) used to have fireproof ladders in every hotel that could reach about 12 foot from the ground but only as far up as the sixth floor, which is a compromise.
Not everyone is lucky enough to live in what we call here a "Villa".
The tendency in most cities now in Israel is to demolish old two or three storey buildings and build 10-20 strorey buildings instead.
They try to put fear in the hearts of the owners that their homes were built without taking into consideration earth quakes.
I think I would rather take my chances on a three storey building instead of living on the tenth floor of any building, because in a large building you get more tenants and they increase the probability of doing something stupid that can lead to fire as we saw yesterday, or worse.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
It is actually on the outskirt of Tel Aviv, but in a strategic point because just few meters away there is a connection to the Ayalon Highway going north. In the first photo, to the left of the upper bridge is Tel Aviv and underneath the bridge is the Ayalon highways going south and north. In the middle is the railway.
Most of the original apartments owners left because of the Ayalon highway and rented the apartments as offices, and those who couldn't afford to move stayed on.
Most probably the cause was an electric short.

Yes Ayalon Highway, I could not remember the name but have driven down it a number of times indeed, in itself it is an experience and IIRC it is on that highway the unusual modern electricity pylons are situated

A

Archive7

I read yesterday that this building was hit by a Scud missile courtesy of President Saddam Hussein during the first Gulf War and was renovated. I don't remember if this was true or they meant another building.

A

Archive7

fire 17.jpg

One more photo from Yesterday's event taken from a helicopter.
I can see only two small satellite dishes. I suppose they are OK, but for a building this size there should be more satellite dishes for protection from evil.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I'm 22 floors up in Helsinki, so I guess I should be classed as a "nutjob" then, especially as I chose to live there. ;)

Mind you, of all the fires I've seen they have all been in smaller buildings and private houses. I usually see two or three a year from my apartment. Here's one from last summer:
fire.jpg

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I'm 22 floors up in Helsinki, so I guess I should be classed as a "nutjob" then, especially as I chose to live there. ;)

Mind you, of all the fires I've seen they have all been in smaller buildings and private houses. I usually see two or three a year from my apartment. Here's one from last summer:
View attachment 94433

Dubai had a couple some weeks back

Firefighters battle huge blaze at Ajman tower near Dubai

Massive fire at Dubai skyscraper interrupts New Year's Eve fireworks