My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.5
Inverto black ultra, quad.
Pace 2600 C1
Humax freesat hd
My Location
MADRID, SPAIN
Hi folks,
Can you tell me your thoughts on best cable to get, is foam filled dielectric cable the way to go or is there something better dont need long runs but dont want to keep upgrading. I have found a company called tlc-direct who sell pf100 for 39p per metre+ vat.

Does anyone know of anyone in Spain who produces this type of cable or other good companies in uk. Many thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I personally prefer foam dialectric cable and have been using it for years, Televes make a good foam cable T-100 which should be widely available in Spain _http://www.televes.com/inting/noticias/pdf/oct09-reels.pdf

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Foam filled cables are a lot better than in the 1970s when I remember that all the old foam filled stuff that was used for Band I/III TVs was found to be very lacking in performance for the new UHF transmissions.

The type that was produced then was called semi-airspaced and consisted of a cellular construction holding the centre wire in the - errr - centre. Air was considered to be the best dielectric and semi-airspaced had less of the plastic supporting material than foam. The semi-airspaced cable, however, had the distinct disadvantage of kinking when curved round too tight a radius.

Both types have improved so that today semi-airspaced will curve better without kinking and foam filled has less loss. I suppose that I'm still influenced by the past and prefer semi-airspaced but I know that there are plenty here that prefer foam filled!