Fortec star 1.8m dish Ain't that bad after all / c-band

R

Rd100

Fortec star 1.8m dish Ain't that bad after all, I have been reading over the last few weeks on some sat forums in the U.S.A and middle east that these cheap fortec star dishes are good,

So as they where only £99 in mapin i though i would have ago as i would easy spend more then £100 on a night out any way,

I did not have to buy a feedhorn as i had a few prime focus dish horn's hanging about, I put the dish together and put the feedhorn and invacom c120 lnb on it then Put my signal meter on it, Then i found nilesat and get all the horizontal transponder fine again now the signal is about the same as it was on my andrews 1.8m dish i got rid of a few months back,

This goes to show as long as you put the dish together so it's in shape and and use the correct feedhorn and make sure the focal point is correct the dish will work fine on ku-band,

Now i can watch all my showtime channels again on nilesat,

I think the reson why some people on other forums have said this dish is c*ap is that they did not use the correct prime focus ku-band feedhorn and did not have a clue how to put the dish together so it is in the right shape and had no signal meter or spectrum Analyzer to set the focal point up and dish up,

I have now ordered a C-band LNB-F so i can playabout with c-band here is the lnbf i have ordered

_http://www.dmsiusa.com/images/bsc421a.jpg

And you can also see the 1.8m fortec star in action on c-band in this link on page 42

_http://www.tele-satellite.net/magazine/TELE-satellite-0607-eng.pdf

And the dish
_http://www.fortecstar.com/estore/storefront/default.asp?ProductID=15&CategoryID=8

When i get a new digi cam i will post some pics up

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
i think i would still have the andrews dish as is the fortec star a full dish or is it petals that you put together ?

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Prime focus dish is much better for a DXer as you have unlimited scenarios you can put together a KU/C-band system like Corotor or similar.

Does the Jonsa manual state anything how you should put together the petals correctly?

I saw you got the Horizon sat meter...

Could you write down the difference in C/N between the CM 1,2m and Jonsa 1,8m you have on the same channel on the same satellite?

R

Rd100

Yes it is a jonsa dish rebranded as fortec star, I will find out the signal for you between the 1.2m andrew and 1.8 fortec star but it will only be on the vertical channels on nilesat as i can only get the horizontal transponders by useing the 1.8m fortec star,

I have order a voltage swiching c-band lnb-f for now but i might order one of these that does c-band and ku-band is all goes well with c-band

_http://www.dmsiusa.com/documents/621manual.pdf

Likvid said:
Prime focus dish is much better for a DXer as you have unlimited scenarios you can put together a KU/C-band system like Corotor or similar.

Does the Jonsa manual state anything how you should put together the petals correctly?

I saw you got the Horizon sat meter...

Could you write down the difference in C/N between the CM 1,2m and Jonsa 1,8m you have on the same channel on the same satellite?

celspid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Receivers: Manhattan Plaza ST 550 160gb PVR,
Triple Dragon, Strong SRT 4375, Technomate TM-1500 Super, Sky +, 2*TV Drives
1.2 metre offset Channel Master dish with Supermount H to H motor, Quad 0.3db Invacom LNB with matched feedhorn. Currently see
My Location
Merseyside
My first post, so hi everyone. :)

RD100, does this dish get 23.5 east 24/7? I struggle with this satellite using a 1.2 metre channel master. I get reasonable signals in clear weather and only cetain times of day, but would like 24/7 on this, also interested in any details on other weaker satellites in UK such as 36e, 31.5e, 30.5e, 5e, 4w, 7w.
I'm in Liverpool, so I'm about as west as you, but obviously you being more southern will probably get better results on some of the sats. I find the weakest for me are 23.5e and 7w.

Also look forward to anything you can get on cband!!!!

cheers, :)
celspid

R

Rd100

I can not get astra 3a here is south wales at all on my 1.2m channel master, but i can get it 24/7 on the 1.8m dish and i can get all transpoder now on nilesat
celspid said:
My first post, so hi everyone. :)

RD100, does this dish get 23.5 east 24/7? I struggle with this satellite using a 1.2 metre channel master. I get reasonable signals in clear weather and only cetain times of day, but would like 24/7 on this, also interested in any details on other weaker satellites in UK such as 36e, 31.5e, 30.5e, 5e, 4w, 7w.
I'm in Liverpool, so I'm about as west as you, but obviously you being more southern will probably get better results on some of the sats. I find the weakest for me are 23.5e and 7w.

Also look forward to anything you can get on cband!!!!

cheers, :)
celspid

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Rd100 said:
I can not get astra 3a here is south wales at all on my 1.2m channel master, but i can get it 24/7 on the 1.8m dish and i can get all transpoder now on nilesat

So you are satisified with the Jonsa dish?

You got any nice pictures to show off?

R

Rd100

hi will post the signal results when i play about with it later,

I do not have a digi cam at the moment but i have one on it's way once i have it i will post up some pic's

Likvid said:
So you are satisified with the Jonsa dish?

You got any nice pictures to show off?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
A how to put together a Jonsa/Fortec dish successfully thread might make a nice sticky in this section to accompany your photos, for those thinking about it.

No pressure whatsoever.O-Ha

Cheers

L.:)

R

Rd100

That will not be a problem to hook you all up with some pics, my partner is getting me a digi cam for my birthday which is soon,

The thing is with these dishes is you need to take you time putting them together so you get the dish in to the right shape etc,

I know there not the best qulity dish in the world but people need to look at it this way the dish retails at £99 gbp and postage is free and if you sign up for a maplin news letter you get a few quid more off the price, so for a fortec star 1.8m = £92

But a 1.8m andrew dish retails for around £430 for the dish and about £180 for the azel mount and postage is around £100 so for a andrew 1.8m = £710

So a 1.8m andrew cost about 6 times more than the fortec star

Lancelot said:
A how to put together a Jonsa/Fortec dish successfully thread might make a nice sticky in this section to accompany your photos, for those thinking about it.

No pressure whatsoever.O-Ha

Cheers

L.:)

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
No - thats what I'm saying, if these things can be made to work as well as your example then it's very much a worthwhile venture geting one of these posted.

L.::)

R

Rd100

yes i see, the best thing is the box they come in is not very big so if a local mapin has them in stock there easy to get it home,

Lancelot said:
No - thats what I'm saying, if these things can be made to work as well as your example then it's very much a worthwhile venture geting one of these posted.

L.::)

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central

celspid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Receivers: Manhattan Plaza ST 550 160gb PVR,
Triple Dragon, Strong SRT 4375, Technomate TM-1500 Super, Sky +, 2*TV Drives
1.2 metre offset Channel Master dish with Supermount H to H motor, Quad 0.3db Invacom LNB with matched feedhorn. Currently see
My Location
Merseyside
RD100, thanks for getting back, is it right, the cheap 1.8 metre dishes can't be motorised? One other thing do you know if they have/sell a stand?
Thanks again for advice so far.

cheers,
celspid

R

Rd100

You can get a polar mount from the usa for it or you can make one like i am going to do from a channel master mount

celspid said:
RD100, thanks for getting back, is it right, the cheap 1.8 metre dishes can't be motorised? One other thing do you know if they have/sell a stand?
Thanks again for advice so far.

cheers,
celspid

reload

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D + card reader/ ART Sports/ 3x Zone2 Minidish/ Lidl 80cm/ Channel Master 90cm.
My Location
north east
Rd100 said:
I think the reson why some people on other forums have said this dish is c*ap is that they did not use the correct prime focus ku-band feedhorn and did not have a clue how to put the dish together so it is in the right shape and had no signal meter or spectrum Analyzer to set the focal point up and dish up,

What chance does someone like me with just an el cheapo meter (sat bleeper) have of being able to set this dish up? :)

R

Rd100

You could do it depends on how much you know about feedhorns for a prime focus dish and understand that you need to set the focal point correct, If you have the room for the dish i think you should get one just take your time putting it all together as long as you do that you will be ok, Don't bother with the cheapo meter just use the signal meter on the receiver and take a small tv out side with you

I think these dishes are well worth the cash and are ideal if you have the space for it,

reload said:
What chance does someone like me with just an el cheapo meter (sat bleeper) have of being able to set this dish up? :)

charly20

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox
My Location
Belgium
I have a 180cm Jonsa that I bought in Kuwait for 27€ (no joke) and took it back home on the plane with no overcharge.

I use it here in Brussels to receive Nilesat.

I have compared it against a 150cm Gibertini, and yes with the Jonsa I get a much stronger signal.

Yes, it is difficult to set up the dish; it took me weeks - yes weeks - to get it right. It took so long because I played a lot with it and I had to order a flange LNB + feedhorn, something I was a total stranger to, coming from offset. But the fuss was worth it.

The dish has a very bad reputation. I believe this is so for 2 reasons:

1. People don't know how to set it up and most likely use a normal LNB.
2. The built quality is poor, but look at the price.

What matters are the results: the strength of reception is simply there.

Here is picture of mine:

View attachment 8488

RTG is a local dealer in Kuwait.

reload

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D + card reader/ ART Sports/ 3x Zone2 Minidish/ Lidl 80cm/ Channel Master 90cm.
My Location
north east
Rd100 said:
You could do it depends on how much you know about feedhorns for a prime focus dish and understand that you need to set the focal point correct, If you have the room for the dish i think you should get one just take your putting it all together as long as you do that you will be ok, Don't bother with the cheapo meter just use the signal meter on the receiver and take a small tv out side with you

I think these dishes are well worth the cash and are ideal if you have the space for it,

I was looking to get a 1.2 Channel Master, but then I saw this thread. I don't know much about prime focus dishes, but I'm willing to learn :)

Is the Invacom feedhorn suitable? The f/d is adjustable 0.32 - 0.43.

Rupert

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox
My Location
Europe
I think f/d of Fortec is 0.38