Help Required French TV in the UK

bigpaic001

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently have no sattelite
My Location
England
Hi thanks for all the replies again guys.

Looking at TVcorner for dishes and i have noticed that Steel dishes are way cheaper than the SMC ones. Is there a reason why is that? For example, a 80cm Steel dish is 29.00 € but the 68cm one from SMC is 99.00 €.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
SMC dishes are fibreglass and generally more robust than a typical steel dish. They also don't rust which is a definite bonus if you are near the coast. Aluminium dishes are also available, made by Gibertini.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Hi thanks for all the replies again guys.

Looking at TVcorner for dishes and i have noticed that Steel dishes are way cheaper than the SMC ones. Is there a reason why is that? For example, a 80cm Steel dish is 29.00 € but the 68cm one from SMC is 99.00 €.
Steel dishes can be created in exactly the same way as kitchen sinks, by their thousands with a vacuum press. Then a bit of anodizing and paint.

SMC requires at least two materials, a pressure mould with perhaps heating for some time and a human or two to carry out the procedures including drilling and deburring.

bigpaic001

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Hello guys

I have bought a receiver and Fransat card.

Today my Installer came to install the 80cm dish (that he provides) and wire everything.

However, when he tried to search for the Eutelsat 5W A Satellite he couldn't find anything on his meter. He thought his meter might be outdated because he hadn't updated it in over 2 years.

So i'm asking, is Eutelsat 5W A the right one or should we aim towards a different satellite?

Thanks.

Mooncamm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre Gibertini dish, Octagon SX88 Receiver
My Location
Lincolnshire
Hello guys

I have bought a receiver and Fransat card.

Today my Installer came to install the 80cm dish (that he provides) and wire everything.

However, when he tried to search for the Eutelsat 5W A Satellite he couldn't find anything on his meter. He thought his meter might be outdated because he hadn't updated it in over 2 years.

So i'm asking, is Eutelsat 5W A the right one or should we aim towards a different satellite?

Thanks.
That satellite is no longer broadcasting there. You need 5 West B - that has taken over. You can find details of it at Flysat. :)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
The satellite you want is Eutelsat 5 West B, all 5A has are feeds, at least according to lyngsat:
Code:
https://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-5-West-A.html
Code:
https://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-5-West-B.html

The Transalpine beam map, which is used by Fransat:
Code:
https://www.lyngsat-maps.com/footprints/Eutelsat-5-West-B-Transalpine.html

Fransat channels on 5 West B
Code:
https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Fransat.html

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
If you're still wanting to feed the images into your computer an HDMI to DVB-T modulator could be the best solution. They are HDCP compliant and supply an excellent quality image. You'd then use a DVB-T2 dongle on your PC to view the video. Not the cheapest option but excellent quality.

bigpaic001

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Hi guys, my installer came again on Friday and tried to point my dish to Eutelsat 5 West B but he was unable to do it.

He said that his Satellite finder is outdated and needs an update.

He said that he will try to update it during the weekend but it looks like he is unable to as updates for his finder are no longer supporter.

I asked him how much would a new Satellite Finder cost and he said to me about 500 pounds. Is that true?

I had a look on Amazon and the most expensive Finder was about 300 pounds or so.

Thank you

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
98cm motorised technomate. 50e to 34.5w
My Location
Europe
He seems like he doesn't know what he's doing. They're in the same location, so if he can't find it he's not very competent.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Find a different installer, this one doesn't really understand what he's doing. A simple fixed satellite dish pointing at a strong satellite can be aligned in minutes with even the cheapest 'beeper' meter costing about a tenner.

Is the dish already mounted? You can give it a go yourself if you're confident using a ladder.

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
What I normally do is have a laptop with a webcam facing the tv with the signal showing then I video call my phone. Then I move the dish using my phone as a signal meter . Simple but effective

malsat

Reaction score
Find a different installer, this one doesn't really understand what he's doing. A simple fixed satellite dish pointing at a strong satellite can be aligned in minutes with even the cheapest 'beeper' meter costing about a tenner.

Is the dish already mounted? You can give it a go yourself if you're confident using a ladder.
Yes he 's not the man for the job, ask when phoning if they know about other satellites

Gladstones

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 2 Fixed @ Astra 2
Gibertini XP 1 meter motorised
Technomate TM2600
Inverto Ultra Black
LG 55 UH770V
Octagon SX88+SE
XCRUISER XDR785HDR Avant Android 4K
My Location
Midlothian
5 west can be received on a fixed dish in couple of minutes if the line of sight is clear without any meter.
only needs the small old tele and receiver
Or
Video calling a person front of tele.

bigpaic001

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Hello guys, it's me again.

Im happy to say that i have found a installer who aligned my dish within 5 minutes.

I can now watch all RMC Sport channels and other channels available on Fransat.

But i have one question. I'm a huge Football fan and i noticed that Satellite Feed is about 12 seconds behind real-time action when watching on RMC Sport. Is that normal?

I was browsing around forums and websites and the delay should be around 5-7seconds. So, where does that delay come from? I was trying to figure it out.

It seems impossible for Satellite signal to travel from Dish to satellite for that long. So the delay must come from Encoding/Decoding the feed? Can RMC add delay on purpose?

I would appreciate your answers. Thank you.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Yes encoding and decoding takes time. The signal does not go directly from the stadium to the satellite and then to your receiver. A delay may be added, incase anything unsavoury occurs, that gives the production team enough time to drop the video to prevent it being broadcast.

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
The UK broadcasters BT Sport and Sky have less delay because they use a fibre network from the stadium to their hq. Satellite can take a bit longer.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The BBC use Carrier Pigeons.