How to identify my downlink cable...?

markie76

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Background;
We live in a block of 24 flats and had a flat roof on which was our dish amoungst others. The roof was replaced and all dishes were moved by an installer to the lift tower wall, cables were extended and still ran across the roof.
New roof was built on top of flat roof and cables. Then dishes were moved again from lift tower wall to stairwell roof which meant extending the cables again and bundling them together off this location before they went their separate ways.
A few weeks ago we got struck by lightning and a number of systems went down.
A couple of installers went on the roof and replaced LNBs etc.
My reception switched from Astra/Hotbird to what looked like sky.
When I checked my dish, it looked like someone else had 'claimed it' for their multi LNB setup.

I have now reclaimed and moved my dish to the top of the lift tower roof.

Problem;
Instead of running a new cable over the roof I would like to find and use my original downlink cable which goes under the new roof.
Problem is I don't know which one it is.
I thought I would identify it by doing a continuity test on it but as soon as I unplugged a cable from one of the sky octo lnbs a neighbour appeared complaining their picture had gone.

There are 3 sky dishes with octo LNBs so potentially if I use my initial method I will have a lot of angry neighbours.

Is there another way of identifying which cable is mine without unplugging it (resistance test on f-plug case?). I can't follow the cable from my flat back, as it dissapears under the new roof and has been joined in 3 places so also changes colour.

Any ideas welcomed...

Thanks,

Mark.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
There is a handy little pro tool for cable testing but would require disconnection >

_https://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3902