How to recover HDD files after CF Format

habib2535

Reaction score
I have a Dreambox 7000 - I tried to use a CF and started first by formatting the CF using FlashWizardPro... but then a quickly realised that the tool was formatting (or erasing) my hard disk...

I stopped the operation after 40/50 sec but now dreambox does not boot from HD anymore...

Is there a way i can use to recover files (recorded movies) Of my HD ?

For the rest, I don't mind reformatting and reflashing my installion from scratch

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I have a bad feeling that there is no simple way to restore the HDD.
I don't see a reason to reflash the 7000S, as the HDD has nothing to do with the image. So all you need now is to format the HDD and start building a new movies library.
It is always a good idea to copy the important HDD files to PC using FTP application and then make a DVD and delete the files from the PC now that you have a reliable backup, but keep the files on the HDD if you wish.

habib2535

Reaction score
Does that mean that there "IS" a way though to restore my HDD ? (even if not simple ?)

I have a lot of movies and other files on the HDD (4 years activity) and have absolutely no back up of them.. I am pretty sure that I didn't left too much time to flashwizardpro to erase all the HDD as I stopped the procedure quickly !

but the damage is done and the HDD does not reboot anylonger nor does it get accessed if i reboot from usb

any hint here is appreciated !

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
The format is a Linux format. You need to seek the help of Linux experts on how to recover the HDD content after initializing formatting procedure.
Also look for Linux software hard disk recovery.
Even after recovery (wishful thinking), most of the movies would have pixelization all over the place.
Personally I would forget about it and start a new page.
You can install a new HDD with higher capacity, and put the old HDD aside, until you get an expert advise.

What size HDD is it anyway? If installed four years ago, you probably have either an 80GB or 120GB. Not that big by any of today's storage capacities.

habib2535

Reaction score
yes it is 120GB and contains some 50 recorded movies or video songs...

I am trying right now Easeus Data Recovery utility... i will post the results if any...

So meanwhile I guess my inquiry is about any professional software or provider who can do the best to recover the files.

taking a new HDD and starting from scratch is an easy way that I will do anyhow