I don't geddit :(

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
Been Shopping ........ Time to get abreast of the digital revolution & all that O-zzz

Bought a Panasonic Hdd/DVD with digital tuner built in VCR replacement (DMR-EX77E:cool: Very nice ........ Works a treat
& a LG 19" Oblong TV wiv a digital tuner (19LS4D) ....... Umm this is where the fun started :eek:
The TV says poor signal ...... & really doesn't work that well at all in digital mode (Ya can swap between the two... Dunno why but ya can)

So its Odd watching the digital channels thro the VCR replacement all is well & Mr Signal strength meter says healthy 80%+ ......... But viewing thro the TV Irrelevant how the wiring is rigged up (I had a swap around) Ch 3,5 & various others the TV signal meter says 5%
strength & 3% Quality poor.

Ok I guess the LG TV has a fussy tuner :mad: ....... If I need to get a new TV antenna ....... Any suggestions ?..... Should i Use CT100 or equiv to make this go wiv a bang so to speak ?

The Antenna I have now is .......... Ummmmm errr 15 Yrs old (About) its nothing flash ..... What I do know is you can see the transmitter if your up on the roof (Winter Hill) bout 30 miles Probably less as you flick the booger so to speak (Crow Flies) :-rofl2

What says you chaps ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
So if you put the aerial lead straight into the TV, does it still show bad signal strength?

Check that the TV hasn't found the channels from another transmitter and put the Winter Hill ones at the end of the channels list.

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
Yeah If I plug straight to the TV it still shows a bad signal

I'll have a twiddle with it & see if auto setup has made a hash of things

As I remember tho, the transmitting point looked right to me ...... Mind you its new, & it might take a day of two for my brain to kick in ;)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Does it have just a single RF input, or is there also a loopthrough and do the analogue channels work well on it?

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
The VCR replacement has a loop thro.... The TV doesn't work too well on digital even if its the only thing connected.

The Analogue channels seem to work OK

The "Engineering Section" on the set tells me that all the clutches of channels are connected to Winter Hill .... But they have varying signal strengths & qualities...

On looking at the Antenna from the ground, it would appear that the down lead isn't fastened down very well, its flapping around in the wind, So I will go up & replace that. I'll tape the new cable to the pole & use some bits of bent metal to clip the cable to the tiles.

Looking at the signal strengths, they climb & then fall, & then repeat, so I'm guessing that the down lead is at fault. I guess what gets replaced will depend on the condition of what I find when I get up there.... Its going to mean a few trips to the shops in the worst case scenario ........ Or I could just rip everything down & start a fresh.... Dunno ....... I'll take a look 1st I think, then nip out to buy bits :)

Its all go here I can tell ya ;)

***EDIT***

Heres some pickkies I took ...... Just so ya can see whats goin' on from the Lounge end of things :)

Finally Digital Picture and Analogue Picture

Pretty similar :)

Please bear in mind I was close to the set when taking these & I have compressed the pictures quite a bit

Attachments

• TV016.jpg
    TV016.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 25
  • TV008.jpg
    TV008.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 27
  • TV015.jpg
    TV015.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 26
  • TV014.jpg
    TV014.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 23
  • TV013.jpg
    TV013.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 25
  • TV012.jpg
    TV012.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 25
  • TV011.jpg
    TV011.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 20
  • TV010.jpg
    TV010.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 21
  • TV009.jpg
    TV009.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 23
  • digitalPicture.jpg
    digitalPicture.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 26

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Hi, whereabouts are you in the North West? I get signals from both Winter Hill and Pendle Forest (although WH is pretty weak here in Pendle), if there's another repeater transmitter near you it may be a good idea to have your aerial moved or adjusted to receive it properly. Otherwise, your new TV has a rubbish tuner!!! :D

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
I'm in Preston .......... Ya can See the winter hill Transmitter if ya stands on my roof

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
j..m said:
I'm in Preston .......... Ya can See the winter hill Transmitter if ya stands on my roof

Could be the aerial, might need tweaking, my mum's TV struggled for a couple of years, even though Pendle Forest is in earshot, but after a visit into the attic I managed to tweak the aerial until the signal was perfect, then she got VirginMedia (was NTL at the time)... :D

But as before, it could be a duff tuner... :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you are getting an intermittent signal, then you would be better replacing the lot.

PS. You're better off uploading the photos as attachemnts, as I am turning off the

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
Oki ......... Been to the shopz & bought a new lashing kit, bracketry, 6' pole, Antenna & some foamy whatsit Sat flex :)

The Antenna is in the pickkie Maxview 48 Element Yadda yadda Group C/D

Now its just the small matter of goin up there to do the biz........ O-no

Attachments

• 6586219.jpg
    6586219.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 28

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
j..m said:
Oki ......... Been to the shopz & bought a new lashing kit, bracketry, 6' pole, Antenna & some foamy whatsit Sat flex :)

The Antenna is in the pickkie Maxview 48 Element Yadda yadda Group C/D

Now its just the small matter of goin up there to do the biz........ O-no

If you've got a good line of sight with the antenna, you can put the aerial up in the attic (assuming it's not a bedroom), this saves you the risk of falling off the roof, but obvioulsy be careful to stand on the joists and not the ceiling... :)

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
Umm I could ........ But its more fun doin' a Rod Hull :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
j..m said:
Umm I could ........ But its more fun doin' a Rod Hull :D

Don't say I didn't warn you, especially as the weather's getting worse... :cool:

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
Woo ...... Too windy today ......... Maybe tomorrow :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
j..m said:
Woo ...... Too windy today ......... Maybe tomorrow :)

Told you... :p

Stick it up in't attic, it's warm and not windy up there (unless you've had a curry!!!)... :D

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
Attics are fer wimps ;)

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
Well I've done it .......... I just replaced everything ........ The old Antenna down lead had cracks in it & water had got inside ....

Anyways The LG tv still won't work ......... Its still reporting a poor signal ....... While my Hdd recorder (With Digital tuner) works fine ...... Infact it reports a wee bit too much signal on a couple of the channels ...... Time to get on to Dixons & gettem to exchange it .......... What a PITA :mad:

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Oh well, at least it turned out to be a job well done, shame about the TV, but if it is under guarantee, then no problem. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
j..m said:
Well I've done it .......... I just replaced everything ........ The old Antenna down lead had cracks in it & water had got inside ....

Anyways The LG tv still won't work ......... Its still reporting a poor signal ....... While my Hdd recorder (With Digital tuner) works fine ...... Infact it reports a wee bit too much signal on a couple of the channels ...... Time to get on to Dixons & gettem to exchange it .......... What a PITA :mad:

You should keep the old aerial in the living room and call it "Modern Art", bit like me and my satellite dishes... :D

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
I gotta admit I was lucky with the weather ...... I'd hate to do that job for a living tho .... Even with crawling boards & cat ladders (Which I don't have) I'd still not do it ..... I can confirm that Antenna installers earn their money :D