I don't geddit :(

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
Are those Scart to RF converters any good ? ........ I need to cascade a CCTV output around the house ya see :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
j..m said:
Are those Scart to RF converters any good ? ........ I need to cascade a CCTV output around the house ya see :)

I think they are supposed to be pretty good, but obviously they're only as good as the input source... :)

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
Just so ya can see who's at the door before ya get out O' bed to look & perhaps open it (Me= Lazy git) ;)

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
Sorted!

Well I tried a signal amplifier, which actually made things worse :-Nooo

So I tried attenuating the signal ..... BINGO all works fine now :)

-24dB did the trick ....... (I had some lil attenuators in me box O' bits, stashed away ....... Who says keepin' stuff ain't prudent ?) ...... So I thought ..... Umm can't hurt to try these .......

So on the advice of the TV, I bought a new antenna which strictly speaking I didn't need, however I did rectify the down lead issue, which would of turned in to a problem eventually anyways :toke:

I guess TV antennas are a bit more complex than I first thought O-no

Right I'm now officially chuffed & am off to go & watch "Dave" for the rest of the day :-rofl2

PS anyone wanna buy a antenna amplifier ?? :-doh!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Well I'll be!!! I've heard that some satellite boxes can be overloaded if the signal's too strong, but a TV? It must have a super dooper sensitive tuner if it needed attenuating!!! :eek:

Well done on figuring it all out, and I do agree that having a collection of bits is always the best idea, that is until it fills your house... :D

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
All my brains are going to my head now :(

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
j..m said:
All my brains are going to my head now :(

Best place for them... :D

A nonymous

Reaction score
johnnymac said:
Some of 'em do :rolleyes:

Some can be a bit shady:-downt

Obviously no one on here of course.:eek:

:-rofl2:-rofl2 You sure :-rofl2:-rofl2

Nice to hear you have got it all up and running :)

On reading the thread i was going to suggest attenuation. I helped install a few rigs in Bolton a few weeks back and all of them pointing at Winter Hill. Every single one had to be attenuated down to about 85dB at the system launch and then down to about 80dB at output to the sub feeds.

Never had a situation like that its usually the need to amplify before the sub feed output.

Just wondering if the digital signal was so high did you have powerlines on the analogue channels. Its usually a good indication if the signal input is too high.

:-beer

Nano

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
There was all sorts O nonsense goin on when I plugged the amp in ....... C'est La Vie

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
just wait till the analogue signal gets turned off.... attenuation all over again..

Plenty of business when it does get turned off.. :D

Digital ariel lol..

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
In most cases it's the analogue channels which cause the problems, as they are normally significantly stronger.

A nonymous

Reaction score
The analogue channels are usually 20-25dB stronger than the Digital Muxs although they do have a tendency to be at leat 3-4 channel frequencies away from the digital stuff.

The problems with Digital is that its not all about out and out power as it is with analogue, its all to do with the quality of the signal. As long as the Digital output is around 35-40dB it can be launched onto a communal TV system without too many problems :-ohmy

At work we normally try to launch the analogue stuff at about 80dB and the Digital muxes at about 55-60dB

The biggest problem we usually have is co-channel interference from one of the digital muxs effecting analogue channel 5, but only off one transmitter.

:-beer

Nano

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
I dunno why they are having such a looooooong staged switch over ........ Just do it I say ......... It'll either work or it won't .......... Ohh no wait ....... That gives all & sundry less time to rob us all blind & talk poo to us ;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
nanochickin said:
The analogue channels are usually 20-25dB stronger than the Digital Muxs although they do have a tendency to be at leat 3-4 channel frequencies away from the digital stuff.

Not in this area they're not. :)

22 Digital Crystal Palace
23 ITV
25 Digital
26 BBC
28 Digital
29 Digital
30 Channel 4
32 Digital
33 BBC 2
34 Digital
35 Channel 5 H
37 Channel 5 CP
39 BBC Hannington
40 Digital
41 Digital
42 ITV
43 Digital
44 Digital
45 BBC 2
46 Digital
50 Digital
66 Channel 4

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
Odd innit the way it differs ......... Not exactly a big country this ...... Ya'd think it'd be simple to standardise stuff....... Bin all terrestrial stuff & go Sat & cable only....... Ahhh so much easier ........ W00t no cable & a mountain blocking ya sat view ........ "FREAKIN MOVE THEN" ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yeshi said:
Digital ariel lol..

So is the washing powder going digital too? :-rofl2

A nonymous

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Not in this area they're not. :)

22 Digital Crystal Palace
23 ITV
25 Digital
26 BBC
28 Digital
29 Digital
30 Channel 4
32 Digital
33 BBC 2
34 Digital
35 Channel 5 H
37 Channel 5 CP
39 BBC Hannington
40 Digital
41 Digital
42 ITV
43 Digital
44 Digital
45 BBC 2
46 Digital
50 Digital
66 Channel 4

Strange that one. I suppose if you overlap the transmitters footprint that would happen. I was just reffering to individual transmitters in my area, all five of them :-rofl2

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
2cvbloke said:
So is the washing powder going digital too? :-rofl2

Toucan U-zzz

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
A fairly annoying issue has cropped up :(

When it rains HARD ...... Again some of my digital channels fall over ( Analogue ok)

Them bunched in with Ch5 ....... Bit of a pain that ..... Any thoughts/suggestions ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Freeview is on Vertical polarisation, so you will have to go up on the roof again:-googly

But before you do that, Five transmits on half power at Pendle Forest and so it is always going to be difficult to obtain with the same degree of reliability.

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SD825384

Try swapping over the attenuator for 18dB (or 18+3) and rescan. You may find the original selection was possibly a bit too severe for the higher frequencies (especially when it gets cloudy).