Im going Motorized - Help!

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, INVERTO Silver Tech Universal Twin LNB 0.2, Technomate 80cm mesh dish
My Location
BRISTOL
Thanks in advance!

basically ive had this set up running for 2 years simply pointing to 1w to pick up some football on saturdays. this year ive decided to go motorised.

the current set up has not messed up once, not moved etc...thankfully (check the pics)

i am very proud of this set up as i had never done anything like it before!! im about to take it down, well take the dish down in prep for the new set up with the motor.

anyway just wondering if theres a guide to put the motor on as easy as poss? im very scared to do it as i dont wanna mess anything up.

with my set up will it be ok with a motor and how do i know if the current position will pick up all satellites??

please advise as i am to fit the motor some time this week .

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 109

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
Hi ash, it's not so difficult to set a mororised system up especially as yours is ground mounted, dont know what satellites you will get as it is difficult to see from the photo, usually once you have found the first one it's ok after that (the first one is always the hardest) You have a head start as you know you can find 1w and it's general direction. I found setting it up a lot easier than I imagined or worried about! There's plenty of good people here to help anyway

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
I'm not sure if you'll be able to clear the house for some birds, your dish might be far enough away though.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
fergyc said:
I'm not sure if you'll be able to clear the house for some birds, your dish might be far enough away though.

what do you mean?!

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
It depends on the view you have from the dish. My dish is a lot lower to the ground than yours and dont have a problem with a normal two story house you may not be able to see some satellites lower in the arc, If you can get 28E to 30W that will be fine for most people. As the satellite degree increases they become lower in the sky so it really depends on your horizon. What size dish do you have?

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
Sandybob said:
It depends on the view you have from the dish. My dish is a lot lower to the ground than yours and dont have a problem with a normal two story house you may not be able to see some satellites lower in the arc, If you can get 28E to 30W that will be fine for most people. As the satellite degree increases they become lower in the sky so it really depends on your horizon. What size dish do you have?

i believe its 80cm dish.

is there a tool i could use to work out if i could get all the sats? or should i just set up and hope for the best!

also any guides for fixing motor and setting up correctly?
cheers

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Look at Dishpointer for all sorts of useful info regarding dish positioning, accounting for obstacles etc.

As for Guides, have you gone up the Forum Tree to the top of this very sub-Forum, where there are lots of Sticky Threads with Setup Guides?

Some are by rolfw and some by satelliteman:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...rised-dish-installation-downloadable-pdf.html

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...rence-motor-installation-setup-guide-pdf.html

Finally, the DiSEqC Motors all come with very clear and simple instruction leaflets describing both Traditional and USALS (Quick) Installation methods

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If you have an iPhone you can use the dishpointer app on it. It works on some other flashy phones as well.

One thing you need to check is how vertical that pole of yours is. If its not quite right, you'll have a lot of mucking about to do to get the dish tracking the arc.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
From the current dish position it looks as though you may struggle with stuff to the East beyond Astra 2, but going West, you could be lucky to get further than Hispasat, but after that the houses will become the major obstacle.

Bracing the pole should be sufficient to enable the existing dish to work well on the motor if it was OK with getting the channels off Thor. Since you already know where the main satellite South is, the rest should be a doddle. :-rofl2

So, total cost, one motor, one small bit of cable, two F-Plugs and half a day of faffing about.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
Channel Hopper said:
From the current dish position it looks as though you may struggle with stuff to the East beyond Astra 2, but going West, you could be lucky to get further than Hispasat, but after that the houses will become the major obstacle.

Bracing the pole should be sufficient to enable the existing dish to work well on the motor if it was OK with getting the channels off Thor. Since you already know where the main satellite South is, the rest should be a doddle. :-rofl2

So, total cost, one motor, one small bit of cable, two F-Plugs and half a day of faffing about.

thanks everyone. i looked at dishpointer and it seems i should be able to get most east and west up to about 50 degreess if this makes any sense?

any way i ordered the motor, new cables etc.
gonna give it a go.

lost all my tools to unbolt the dish, what do i need?

i know ...daft question, im THICK with DIY O-no

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
ash213 said:
lost all my tools to unbolt the dish, what do i need?

i know ...daft question, im THICK with DIY O-no

A local reputable installer ?

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
Channel Hopper said:
A local reputable installer ?

lol nice one!!

no, im going to do this myself!!

i managed to get the standard dish up and running and now im going to go motorised without the help of an installer!!! :eek: :p

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Get yourself a set of spanners (15mm, 13mm and 10mm I use most) and a spirit level.

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
Ash, as already been said but check that pole is dead vertical this may take some time but will save you a lot of grief later!
I tried some of my spirit levels but could read the scale accuratley enough, so I used two plumb lines measuring the difference in the distance of the plumb line between the top of the pole and the bottom of the pole and then adjusting. I have now invested in a digital angle finder to check as it is much, much quicker.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Have to agree with everything Sandybob says. A digital angle finder does make the whole set up easier to align spot on. Just a reminder though, check everything is plumb after you mount the motor and dish on the pole. It will save you lots of grief.

Oh, and pop a jubilee clip on the pole to lie just under where the bottom of motor bracket will sit. It will let you move the motor round the pole more easily without it slipping down.

It really isn't as hard as it looks, take your time and good luck.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
I wasn't getting the far west birds like Hellas Sat and then I checked my pole wasn't quiet vertical and now I pick it up fine

petediscrete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
mvision hd200 combo + Technomate 5400 Super+ technomate diseqc motor+ TD110 dish
My Location
Ireland and Gran Canaria
I couldn't believe how easy it was to motorise with the introduction of USALS.I installed a 1m dish with the old analogue system on a H-H mount way back in 1994.I remember how difficult it was to get everything right then.ash213 you are doing everything at ground level so it should be a doddle.As sandybob said above you gotta get your pole dead vertical from the off.Its like having a sound foundation when building a house.Once thats right I was amazed how automated USALS makes everything.You are already pointing at your reference satellite so once the motor goes on you will be amazed how easy it is after that.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
fergyc said:
I wasn't getting the far west birds like Hellas Sat and then I checked my pole wasn't quiet vertical and now I pick it up fine

Hellas Sat is eastern, actually.:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I use a cheap plastic fence post level for my mast setting, normally produces very good results.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
Hi chaps.

Just started to set up my motorised system.

I checked my current pole with the level on top and it seems pretty level which is good.

Anywayi took the dish off and connected it to the motor, i now have a question though.

Before i had it on 1w and the degrees of the black plastic thing(?) was 30 degrees i believe. Obviously with the motor there is the black plastic thing from the dish to the motor then there is another degrees type metal thing connecting the motor to the pole...do both of these have to be set to specific degrees angles? or is it just the one connecting to the pole?

please help out.

i will probably hook it all up to the pole tomorrow morning as its raining.