Im going Motorized - Help!

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, INVERTO Silver Tech Universal Twin LNB 0.2, Technomate 80cm mesh dish
My Location
BRISTOL
Tivù said:
As you've done a Factory Reset, you'll need to send the motor to zero (There should be an option for that), re-enter the USALS coordinates given earlier, then select 1W.

You will need to alter the dish up/down a tad from the initial 22, as well as slowly rotating the entire dish/motor around the pole in order to locate the reference Satellite.

Same as aligning a fixed dish, except you treat the motor as part of the dish.

It's all in the Motor Instruction leaflet and the Forum Sticky Guides.

If I were you, I'd have a break, read all the bumph again, then go in for one last push!

I think you are probably nearly there: But please Post some pics so we can check for obvious mistakes.

Are you using a Satellite Finder or are you relying on your Receiver?

Use BBC World on 11325 H 24500 7/8 as that is a strong signal.

this is a great post.

im leaving it all till tomorow morning now.

too stressed lol!

when im searching on 1w you think transponder 11325 H is best to set it to?

im not using a sat finder, simply relying on me moving the dish and the wife indoors shouting out about signals! yes im a proper budget monkey!

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
Ash, if you can get to see the tv from where you are adjusting the dish it will be a lot easier. On the TM-5400 I think in the motor menu you can select "drive to reference" this will send the motor to 0° then select sat and select the frequency for BBC world news, 1° West. As tivu has said adjust the dish up and down and slowly move the motor around the pole in the direction of 1° West.
The dish face / clamp should be dead central on the motor stub, once set do not adjust this. Only adjust the declination angle (dish up and down) and the azimuth (motor bracket to mast pole East to West) until you get a picture.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
CHAPS.

still having problems.

Can't pick up any sats.

done as said. the motor is on zero and im simply trying to set up 1w on the standard satellite menu.

here are some pics please shed some light on some things i can do?

the level and quality bars are staying at the same level now, before hand they were going mental..so thats one plus.

but still cant lock onto anything, please help me!
cheers

Attachments

• IMG00199-20100822-1321.jpg
    IMG00199-20100822-1321.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG00200-20100822-1322.jpg
    IMG00200-20100822-1322.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG00201-20100822-1322.jpg
    IMG00201-20100822-1322.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG00202-20100822-1322.jpg
    IMG00202-20100822-1322.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG00203-20100822-1322.jpg
    IMG00203-20100822-1322.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG00204-20100822-1322.jpg
    IMG00204-20100822-1322.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG00205-20100822-1332.jpg
    IMG00205-20100822-1332.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 57

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Dish is pointing way too high.

You've set your Latitude against the wrong scale on the motor ..... you were warned!!**

The scale shown in pic 1 is Elevation: Look on the other side of the Motor bracket and you'll find one marked Latitude.

Edit: Post #22** !!!

Quick correction and you'll be up and running in no time.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
Tivù said:
Dish is pointing way too high.

You've set your Latitude against the wrong scale on the motor ..... you were warned!!**

The scale shown in pic 1 is Elevation: Look on the other side of the Motor bracket and you'll find one marked Latitude.

Edit: Post #22** !!!

Quick correction and you'll be up and running in no time.

sorry mate, i am sorry for following the instructions incorrectly!

so the other side of the motor bracket i should do the latitute at the same degrees? around 52?

cheers again, ill have a bash in an hour or so.

my fooking fingers are hurting...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Easily done :)

Best way to learn and get it straight in one's head is to make mistakes.

When you've set 51.5 against the Latitude scale on the Motor, you'll find that it'll correspond to about 39 on that Elevation scale (There is an "equivalence" table in your Motor Destruction Leaflet).

So that difference means that your dish, which should look nigh on vertical, is actually pointing upwards by 12 or 13 degrees, thus overshooting the Satellites by thousands of miles.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
Tivù said:
Easily done :)

Best way to learn and get it straight in one's head is to make mistakes.

When you've set 51.5 against the Latitude scale on the Motor, you'll find that it'll correspond to about 39 on that Elevation scale (There is an "equivalence" table in your Motor Destruction Leaflet).

So that difference means that your dish, which should look nigh on vertical, is actually pointing upwards by 12 or 13 degrees, thus overshooting the Satellites by thousands of miles.

Hi,

I changed that lat on the motor scale correctly but still not picking up satellite. i moved the dish round left and right slowly but not a thing.

i really do not know what to do next., O-no

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You mention slowly moving left/right, but what about the dish elevation? That also needs to be tweaked from the starting value of around 22.

Also, when you move the dish left/right, I hope you mean the dish/motor assembly? You mustn't move the dish from it's correct position on the motor stub.

Finally, are you using the strong BBC World frequency I mentioned earlier?

Thor has several beams, but not that many strong Transponders. Best to lock onto a strong one in the first instance.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
Tivù said:
You mention slowly moving left/right, but what about the dish elevation? That also needs to be tweaked from the starting value of around 22.

Also, when you move the dish left/right, I hope you mean the dish/motor assembly? You mustn't move the dish from it's correct position on the motor stub.

Finally, are you using the strong BBC World frequency I mentioned earlier?

Thor has several beams, but not that many strong Transponders. Best to lock onto a strong one in the first instance.

Hi chap.

Im going to give it a rest today and come back tomorrow afternoon sometime :confused

Yes i am using the BBC World frequency as you said.

And yes i am just moving the dish/motor assembly all in one.

If i cannot get this damn thing working soon I will have to get someone in and pay them :-O-st

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well before you spend much longer on it, Post up a few more pics showing it as you've got it now, after the motor bracket issue was sorted out.

I'm out of commission for a couple of days, but I'm sure others will help you.

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
One other thing ash, you seem to have set a skew angle set on the lnb (lnb twisted in the holder) On a motorized set up the lnb should be "vertical" on 1 West. (no skew angle).
I know from experience when setting a dish up you can get lucky and find it straight away, then other times it can take ages!
Dont give up

femto

Ey up, Sither!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3000-IP,
Manhattan Plaza ST100,
Gibertini 1m Dish,
Inverto Silver Tech 0.2,
Polar Mount,
12 Inch Actuator.
My Location
Bradford, W Yorks
Yeah, that's right Sandybob. I have the very same LNBF as ash does; the Inverto Silver Tech 0.2...except mine is a single output but I don't think that makes any difference in this situation. The F connector where the co-ax cable from the motor is connected to the LNBF should be pointing straight down for the southernmost satellite. in our cases, Thor at 1ºW.
When you mount a dish on a motor, it should be pointing straight down too because the motor skews the entire dish when it moves away from centre (south).

Mine points straight down and I get super strong signals from Thor. We're talking 100% quality on BBC World, according to my Manhattan receiver.

Ash, where you've got the LNBF at the moment makes your polarity about 45 degrees out of kilter. This will make the both horizontal and vertical signals very low indeed.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
May be just perspective, but in photo number 1 above, the motor mounting to the mast seems to be leaning forward, as if the top U bolt hasn't been done up. Also you'd be better mounting the dish lower down on the motor arm, helps to prevent the studs catching the F connectors.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
rolfw said:
May be just perspective, but in photo number 1 above, the motor mounting to the mast seems to be leaning forward, as if the top U bolt hasn't been done up.

Yes, I only had quick look at the pics yesterday and did think about perspective - chiefly in relation to skew, as our friends above have kindly pointed out now. But I think you have a point too.

First thing that struck me was the incorrect Motor setting, and I believe that's resolved now.

OP needs to remember that a logical and precise approach is the key :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
May be just perspective, but in photo number 1 above, the motor mounting to the mast seems to be leaning forward, as if the top U bolt hasn't been done up. Also you'd be better mountin the dish lower down on the motor arm, helps to prevent the studs catching the F connectors.

Additionally you have left out the four washers that sit between the motor clamp and the elevation adjustment. If you don't use them the ability to finely adjust the elevation is much harder.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
hello chaps.

thanks for all the responses.

when i next go out there to mess about i will do the following things. change the angle of the LNB so the F connector are facing downwards towards the ground and vertical on 1w, tighten up the U bolt so the dish points more upwards and possibly lower the dish on the motor pole.

In addition I have purchsed a satellite finder, ordered off the net hopefully wil be with me soon. do you guys find these handy?

when i have messed about i will post more pics.

any other advise or tips would be smashing.

cheers

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
ash213 said:
hello chaps.

In addition I have purchsed a satellite finder, ordered off the net hopefully wil be with me soon. do you guys find these handy?

cheers

What type meter is it?

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
I have a few cheap meters and tbh never use them, always use the reciever and a portable tv. If you could get a tv out near the dish it would be much, much easier.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
satelliteman said:
What type meter is it?

like this.

will it be useless?

satellitefinder_400x288.jpg

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They do a job and are better than nothing. Not bad at all for peaking a dish and will identify when you hit a satellite, you then of course need to check if it's the right one by looking at your receiver.:)