Just Acquired A 1.2M Channel Master

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
That looks amazing! Nice job! Looks very sturdy.

My only real worry with wood is that it dries out and potentially changes shape and, in turn, alignment. Won't be hard to adjust it though on your set up.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
martin-f said:
i am wanting to run the cables under the ground in some sort of conduit pipe, so i can add more cables in the future/renew cables without having to dig the lawn up (when i have one) whats cheap and will do the job please,
Price of 100 meters of good SAT cable is about 15 pounds, so I would put 2-3 cables from room to antenna just in case if it become impossible to add more cables in to the pipe.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Very nice installation. :) Look for Kopex flexible conduit then when installed leave a draw rope in it for pulling extra cables at a later date, you can cap it to stop water entering. 100m of something like WF100 in the UK is rather more than £15, more like £35 RimaNTSS.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
what distance? I'd use a 40mm version of this hxxp://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/electricite-domotique/gaines-et-cables-electriques/gaines-electriques-icta-l1308218979 .
It's called flexible conduit. Page 403 in the new Toolstation catalogue that arrived yeaterday. They only have 25mm and 40mm diameter (OK for you) unfortunately - nothing like the range available in France!

It's fine when embedded in plaster or other render but I discovered last year that it doesn't like being exposed to sunlight for a couple of years as it crumbled in my hands when I tried to reposition it.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
thankyou lads :-), my run of cable in total length will only be around 15mtr, so i will go for 3 runs , i did get the dual lnb and i will proberly fix the 1mtr dish back up,

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
... when installed leave a draw rope in it for pulling extra cables at a later date...
The gaine in France is supplied with a pull wire already installed.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
PaulR said:
The gaine in France is supplied with a pull wire already installed.
Yes, as it is over here, but people tend to use it to pull the first cable through and don't pull a second one through for later.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
To have some reserve space in pipe, I would say 40mm is better. Even with that size, 15 meters length and having couple of curves, and pipe is shoveled in to the ground, could be difficult to add additional cables.
Talking about prices: I try to not buy SAT-stuff in shops, but in central storage, they actually supply shops, and shops are adding additional interest. For example F-connector costs ~0,06 and coupler about 0,1 GBP. I did not ask if they sell WF100, so have no idea how much it costs.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I've run several pipes with SAT, computer-network and electrical cables inside. Used 20mm pipe, there is enough space to hold 4 or more SAT cables. Did not dig very deep, just some 10cm, simply opened soil put pipe and closed, after month or so grass takes over and not possible to see any tracks. That will not work if you going to grow potatoes over cables :-wow
P1230498 (Large).JPG

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, as it is over here, but people tend to use it to pull the first cable through and don't pull a second one through for later.
Never thought of that!

But, the roll I had didn't have a pull-wire so I assumed that none did. Mind you, I was given it and didn't buy it.

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Martin, can you post a photo of the dish with the wooden bit protruding out of the ground as well? I can't see how much of it is visible above the ground...

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
will do c/j, but when the garden is finished it will be a lot less, but as it is now you cant move it its solid as a rock, i am having to put conduit on hold for the time being, untill the lanscape gardener starts work ive hit concrete :-(,

i am just going to fetch the cable and cable up (temporary) and i will take some pictures,

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Personally I use poly water pipe for satellite cables. Unlike plastic conduit or flexy pipe it is made for burial in gardens and is tough as anything. 25mm diameter is plenty for 4 cables.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
here you go C/J. the post (only) is 3ft down and 45inch up atm, i would be more than happy leaving it at this height, but it will be less when gardens finished,

nearly there with cabling up, work stopped play :-(. i just need to check other peeps setup where to tie wrap the loose bits, i dont want anything wearing/pulling when the dish moves.

Attachments

• DSCN2993.JPG
    DSCN2993.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN2997.JPG
    DSCN2997.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN2998.JPG
    DSCN2998.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCN2999.JPG
    DSCN2999.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN3000.JPG
    DSCN3000.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 185

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Why do you only have one "leg" in concrete and not both?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
it does not warrant two posts in the gound c/j one is plenty, but the one thats not in the ground will tie in with what i am doing, and cut shorter when work starts with the garden, if you take a look at post 71 it will give you an idea of the finished product but only 2 levels.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
I see you fitted some nice compression connectors, you do know you can also pull the tiny little rain cover from the inverto to give them that little bit extra cover. Little being the operative word :-)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I think he wanted to show off the compression fittings.

Though the earlier rain covers will not slip over some of the better quality (read larger) connectors unless you enlarge the opening beforehand.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
lol c/h you might have a point :-), i will tape them up i forgot to pick some up, i need to take the crimper back so i will get some then

@ c/j this is the type of finish i am aiming for m8.

Attachments

• garden plan 1.jpg
    garden plan 1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 137

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Without the house in the way lol.

you might consider spraying the dish face tree green colour to blend in at a later time ?