Linux - Starting Out

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

Just downloading Ubuntu.

Interested in seeing how far I can go without Windows/Apple.

Anyone used Linux as OS.

Any advice or warnings?

Regards

W.H.

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
only problem is it's a pig to install anything other than that it's brilliant, no virus, no adware, no keylogger

oh and some web sites does not like firefox running under linux and as consequence some web based java games dont work

workshoppete

Here Now And Again
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre motorised dish ,Technomate V-box, Spiderbox 7000HD box, Windows0n desktop and laptop,. and couldnt live without Promax Prodig 5 TV Explorer.. Oh , and now ipad - so much easier and convenient
My Location
North Midlands
I have tried the Ubuntu flavour (thought it was a bit basic ..but reasonably easy to use...but didnt like the alternative to root that they provide) but got temped by the Fedora core 5 free DVD disc that is available in this months Linux magazine (june 2006). I have to say it is the most stable and easy to use operating system that i have tried so far,and installing it is dead easy. The only snag i have had so far is getting the Firefox web browser to work with Flashplayer. (i'm working on that) Otherwise using the GUI as they call it (Grapical User Interface) makes it as easy to use as Windozes. Also there are loads of free programmes available from the dvd or direct download from the internet, in easy to instal RPM packages.(Red Hat Package Managers).All in all well worth a try in my opinion.
All the best :) :) :)