Moteck SG2100A motor and 1.2m dish

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Headman,

It's probably a combination of the rain and the wind. Short of you going outside with a torch and looking to see if the dish is wobbling on the mast excessively it's hard to be definite. Unfortunately the bigger the dish the more it's susceptible to breakup if it goes "out of alignment" due to the weather. The only two things I can suggest are either lowering it down the mast to lessen the 'sway' effect, unless you had to mount it there because of line of sight issues. Or, use some wire bracing struts attached to the mast below the motor and then either pegged into the ground or by some sort of eye bolt mounted on that other outbuilding wall I can see in your photo. Someone else may have a more useful solution. (Don't think Gaviscon will help either LOL)

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
As others have said I think the top bracket is too close to the top of the wall/roof, this brick/ block will be one of the weakest and could be pulled out, also I would space the t&k brackets further apart. If you can, lower the dish down the pole a bit (this depends on line of sight though) which would help if the pole wobbles. Which satellites are breaking up in bad weather?

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 dish and hoping to get a motor installled on it
My Location
Ireland
Sandybob said:
As others have said I think the top bracket is too close to the top of the wall/roof, this brick/ block will be one of the weakest and could be pulled out, also I would space the t&k brackets further apart. If you can, lower the dish down the pole a bit (this depends on line of sight though) which would help if the pole wobbles. Which satellites are breaking up in bad weather?
its breaking up on 12.5w atm, im afraid to change it because I may not beable to get it back with the **** of a clone dreambox and the wind out side atm is really bad and im afraid to turn the dish with it

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
headman said:
so im a happy owner of a motorised dish, thanks for all the advice

thoughts ?
just got an idea, im not sure can it be done

but in the pic do you see the roof there, majority of the roof is that steel stuff(dont know what its called) but at the edge of the roof, is brick ( right beside my dish) and im thinking is there anything i can put standing up and connected to the dish to give it that extra support

so like an L bracket but upside now

I hope that makes sense

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
headman, 12.5W is a very strong satellite for me in s.wales 97%/94% so one of two things me thinks, either the dish/motor is slightly out of alignment or the pole is wobbling.
What is the strength/quality on a nice clear calm evening? (dont think you will be getting any of these this week)
Can you tell if the break up is due to rain or wind? (I know we usually have both at the same time)
If you could pull the dish slightly east/west and up/down by hand to see if the signal improves while watching a portable tv.
I would still try to lower the dish down the pole first if your line of sight will not be affected.

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
after last nights wind and rain the dish is still in alignment so I reckon the pole could be wobbling. The the weather is calm iv excellent signal, nearly a full bar. I think the break up is because of the wind

I was advised on another forum that I should get a fatter pole but idk where to buy one. Anyone have suggestions where to buy one

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
What diameter pole have you got now? Thick gauge scaffold pole would be better, although the longer the pole is the more likely it is to 'wobble'. Could you not fabricate some kind of support strut from the higher wall on the other side of the roof to your pole? Or isn't that wall your property?

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
sonnetpete said:
What diameter pole have you got now? Thick gauge scaffold pole would be better, although the longer the pole is the more likely it is to 'wobble'. Could you not fabricate some kind of support strut from the higher wall on the other side of the roof to your pole? Or isn't that wall your property?

diameter is 5 inches

I would have loved to put in the other side of the roof but its a no go tbh

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
headman said:
diameter is 5 inches

Errrm, you might want to measure that again, as I don't think the clamps for the motor are that wide. Mine are about 7cm. From the photo I'd guess 3" max.

I wasn't suggesting that you mounted the dish on the other wall but place a support there to extend over to the pole and brace it someway.

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
It looks like scafold pole to me, you can get scafold pipe joiner type clamps and possibly use another scafold pole coming down from the top at an angle but it would look pants. Perhaps look at moving it or a groundstand / post in the ground, if you have a line of sight and enough room. Here's one on a groundstand.

Attachments

• Gibertini fitted.jpg
    Gibertini fitted.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 51

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
I hope its ok to ask this here but I got a new dreambox Dm 500HD and im not sure how to get the motorised dish going with it
I dont use USALS btw

Its alot different to my 500 clone, alot more advance

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
iv finally getting some where with this box but im not sure what im doing wrong

Im thinking the motor needs a reset because its picking up 19.2e instead of 28.2

also when im in the position setup, im not sure of how to save the channels and for positioner storage whats the difference between store position and got position and then the last step is Goto 0, what does that mean?

I really need some help folks, my head is wrecked:-HB

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
I not sure about DM's, but generally usals positions are already set,
Diseq 1.2 you have to find the location of the satellite and store it as a position number, ie. 19.2=position no 3, 28.2=position no 4 etc.
Goto x position is a usals command to tell the motor to goto selected position ie. goto 1W. not sure if it works in Diseq 1.2
Goto 0 could be "drive to reference" where the motor drives to it's zeo position.

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
The area of a 1.1M dish is 50% larger than the area of a .9 M dish. Just imagine the excess pressure when the wind blows.For weight i always go for an aluminium dish. Anything over .9M use an actuator as they are reliable and if serviced once a year, will give you many years of enjoyment.

Hakon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My setup
Laminas180cm P.M 60e-30w
24" SuperJack,Clark-Tech V-Box
Laminas120cm CM P.M 75e-30w
18" Superjack, Clark-Tech V-Box
Gibertini XP premium 100cm
Polar Mount, 12" Superjack
75e-30w
2 x Vu+ Duo
My Location
Sweden south
Why not using USALS(Goto X) , works perfect with Dreambox. Very easy to setup in menu.

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Right iv taken my dish apart and fixed it up with new pole etc

here are the results

Its not the finished article at all but it will give you a good idea

so thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    721 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 46

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Looks ok so far!

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
Does it wobble so much now? It looks a little lower down now as well. Hope it works well for you.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Looks much better. May be worth checking that the motor backplate mounting (where it butts up against the pole) is also at 90°. Having just replaced my motor I can confirm that these are less than robust and may warp through overtightening. Can be out by half a degree which sounds a small amount but can make a difference when you consider what that will work out to at the LNB.

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
its alot lower down alright which will help against the wind and the pole is fatter

Of course the real test will come when mid winter comes but its a big improvement from the last setup I think