Advice Needed Multi-sat system upgrade advice?

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
As I was on a roll, I tried a few tests tonight. Firstly, the SatFinder app confirms I have a perfectly unobstructed view of all satellites. I then played with the dish alignment and managed a minor improvement on signal quality - BBC HD was at 47, now it oscillates between 48-62 (readings from within MediaPortal, although it's mainly at 48). This is enough to make the difference between a very broken up image, and perfection. In my mind, this is a confirmation that I'm on the edge of a 'receivable' feed. (especially as it is perfect weather tonight). I do find it weird that the signal can vacillate so much; maybe this is just a feature of MediaPortal?
yes - perfect weather. Can only get worse :)

Hairybadger - I'm considering mounting the new dish on the roof connected to a disused TV antenna (for esthetic reasons). Good or bad idea given difficult access? How often do you adjust your dish?
I have mine on the (back) side of the house so I can have easy access. I fiddle with the T-90 and a 1m motorized dish quite often, sometimes because I need to, sometimes to try something new :) Pretty ugly and my wife isn't exactly happy but she puts up with it. One of the dishes is at the edge of the garden and I've spray-painted it green so it stands out less from the road. You'd have to check that the existing mast is solid enough for your needs - a largish dish catches the wind much more than a TV aerial :)

Gavin Adcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technisat Multytenne.
Home-built HTPC with Digital Devices Pro capture card.
My Location
Geneva, Switzerland
I have mine on the (back) side of the house so I can have easy access. I fiddle with the T-90 and a 1m motorized dish quite often, sometimes because I need to, sometimes to try something new :)You'd have to check that the existing mast is solid enough for your needs - a largish dish catches the wind much more than a TV aerial :)

I was up on the roof yesterday to dismantle the old terrestrial antenna. You were right - the mast wasn't up to much so I took it down too. However, your argument of having a dish within easy reach is probably a counter-argument for me: every time I start fiddling with the alignment it usually ends up making things worse. So, on the chimney out of the way might be a good thing in my case.

Anyway, I'll be investing in a large dish this WE - thanks for the help and advice.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
I was up on the roof yesterday to dismantle the old terrestrial antenna. You were right - the mast wasn't up to much so I took it down too. However, your argument of having a dish within easy reach is probably a counter-argument for me: every time I start fiddling with the alignment it usually ends up making things worse. So, on the chimney out of the way might be a good thing in my case.

Anyway, I'll be investing in a large dish this WE - thanks for the help and advice.
You'll be sorry in about a month's time when England are narrowly leading the All Blacks in the world cup final at half time and it starts raining heavily here and you start to lose picture, and you realise that in the time that it would take you to get the ladders out and tweak the dish you'd miss half the second half.... :)

Is the new dish up? :)

Gavin Adcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technisat Multytenne.
My Location
Geneva, Switzerland
I use cascaded Diseqc switches to connect to 16LNBs, but you could get away with 2X 4-way Diseqc switches.

Me again. Is there anything special to note about Diseqc switches? There seems to be a large difference in price but I am not sure I am comparing apples... As an example, these two: Around €9, around €27.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I've a multisat set up and use 4 Vantage multi switches feeding a Spaun. One of the Vantage multi switches has failed in the past five years but the Spaun ones are generally regarded as bullet proof.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Me again. Is there anything special to note about Diseqc switches? There seems to be a large difference in price but I am not sure I am comparing apples... As an example, these two: Around €9, around €27.
:) one is Spaun, one isn't. The Spaun will last a long time.... You just need a 4/1, so either of these switches will do. If you want to be able to watch one channel and either record another (on a different TP or sat) or stream it to another room then you'll need 2 switches and 4 twin LNBs, plus of course a receiver with two tuners. I don't have Spaun switches and am yet to have a failure (after 3 years), although the 10/1 Gecen won't cascade on ports 9 and 10 and I could never figure out a way of programming it to select its mode (so it's stuck on Diseqc 1.1, the subject of my very first posts here :) ).

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
There seems to be a large difference in price but I am not sure
Take the cheapest one, they will work same. I have some Diseqcs 10 y.o., they maybe coasted 2 EUR each, but still work no problem. Only thing you should care about is that Diseqc should be in plastic case to prevent water coming in.

Gavin Adcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technisat Multytenne.
My Location
Geneva, Switzerland
Last edited:

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Seeing as you are all so generous with your comments today, onto the choice of dish. Again, any recommendations with the choice of these two: Wave frontier T-85 or Visiosat Big bisat?
First link goes to the Diseqc switch. I have no direct experience with either, but either should do the job. The T85 is steel, and thus heavier and less durable than the bisat (fibre). Depends how much you want to spend :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Nothing wrong with either of them - the Bisat will outlast the WF one as it's made from plastic and will never rust or warp. But it has a slightly smaller arc, though it won't be an issue for you.

A no brainer for me - Bisat every time. I hate the look of the WF but that's a personal thing.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Again, any recommendations with the choice of these two: Wave frontier T-85 or Visiosat Big bisat?
Definitely Visiosat big Bisat! However, I personally, would not buy any of them new. I am not ready to spend big amounts of money on small and ordinary dishes ;) . I would look for Bisat in second hand market and, if lucky, it is possible to get it 1/3 price. And, as CJ mentioned, it is made of plastic- means will last forever.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
......or you could buy an ordinary dish and try setting it up with a multi LNB bracket...

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Usually, multifocus dishes designed to work better in the range of satellites. But ordinary offset dish works good on central LNB (one satellite) and if you make multifeed on it than decrease of reception is considerable. BTW, by ordinary dish I meant- such a dish everybody has. Non ordinary dish- such a dish not so many people have. :rolleyes:

BM300

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, 7020, 800HD
HD-USB
8 Dishes
My Location
UAE
Thank you for a very nice and informative thread.

If you are considering the WF T-85, I would recommend the T90 instead.
The reason is that you may loose some weaker transponders during heavey storms or snow.

As for the diseq switch, some receivers like Dreambox work better with the more proffesional switches from Spaun.
As for LNB, I suggest using the best LNB that you can find from Inverto, it will have less problems with weaker signals.

If you want to go for a single dish with multi LNB, go for a high performance dish like a Geberini.
Remember that the 2nd LNB (on the side) is receiving from part of the dish (so this should be from the stonger satellite signal).