My first 2 days with a Dreambox DM8000 + a couple of questions

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
The Dreambox DM8000 HD is my fourth satellite receiver since a couple of sat dishes were mounted onto my house in September 2000.

The first one was a Panasonic Sky digibox (TU-DSB30), which was useful as long as the satellite footprint of BBC TV channels reached my home in south east Norway.

When the footprint shrunk I bought a Nokia Mediamaster 9802 S. I can't quite remember why I ditched that one for a Topfield TF3000 CoCl, which I've been very happy with, until the advent of HDTV.

After buying a Panasonic plasma TV (TX-P42V20) in the summer, I started looking around for an HD capable satellite receiver. I'd always been interested in the Dreambox concept, and now was as good a time as any to give it a try. Bought mine from a Danish retailer - quite a bit cheaper than the Norwegian dealers take.

It arrived on Wednesday, and I let it acclimatise for a day to the ambient temperature. I printed the instruction manual and read it from A to Z (though I do wish somebody could persuade the Dreambox company to hire a professional native English-speaking translator - the syntax is pretty hopeless at times)

Yesterday, I installed a 1.5GB hard drive, and a DVB-T tuener for terrestial Norwegian channels.

Connecting the various leads was relatively easy - though the DVI output is very close to the scart outputs, in case you want to use both.

Turning on the receiver for the first time, I was a bit confused by the flash screen, which started with a symbolic earth image in colour, before turning black and white, while the aspect ratio went through a few of its options. I suppose that's what's supposed to happen.

I let the introduction wizard take me through the first setup steps. Even managed to get the box connected to the local network too after a couple to tries.

First mistake: Believe it or not, I was sure I'd connected everything which needed connecting before I started searching for channels.

After one an a half hours of multiple fruitless searches, I suddenly realized I hadn't connected the cables from the satellite dishes - felt a right twit! That said, I've found that things hardly ever work out of the box, there's always something needing tweeking.

Here comes what so far has been a bit of an exasperating experience.

One of the satellite dishes has one LNB pointed at the Astra 2 satellite, 28.something east. The second dish has two LNBs, one pointing at Astra at 19E and the other at Hotbird 13E.

Since the Topfield only had one tuner, it was connected to the Astra/Hotbird combo.

But it gave me all the channels I wanted, i.e BBC radio, and free French/German/Italian TV and radio channels.

So I started doing a channel search. To cut a long story short, I've tried multple combinations starting with single satellite - direct connection, configuring first LNB A (where I thought I'd attached the AstraI/Hotbird combo cable) and progressing to two then four satellites (DiSEqC A/B and DiSEqC A/B/C/D), incorporating LNB B, and tuner DVB-T.

During these searches the satellites were allotted different ports and entered in different sequences. Sometimes I tried tuner DVB-S/S2 A on its own, sometimes tuner DVB-S/S2 B on its own. Sometimes I reverted to a single satellite on one or the other tuner, etc. etc.

As I exhausted the possible permutations the number of channels grew. By midnight, I had about 1600 altogether (after roughly 15 separate searches of 20 minutes each, 8 crashes and channel testing via the old Topfield to make sure the cables and satellites worked properly).

The result?

I still haven't managed to access crucial (crucial to me anyway) channels such as RAI Radio 3, the German ARD and ZDF radio and TV channels - 3Sat, Bayern Klassik, Das Erste, ZDF Theaterkanal, etc. etc.

I've also tried manual searches - which I'm used to doing on the old Topfield, entering frequency, SR, Fec etc.).

So why aren't these channels showing up? What should I have done which I haven't tried already?

(I might add that I flashed the software this morning with the latest from Dreambox.de. The operation was successful, but made no difference to search success.)

I'm sure there must be a simple explanation. I don't have a toneburster by the way - that's why I selected the DiSEqC option.

Grateful, needless to say, for all and any suggestions. I'll also try and answer questions if I know how.

Dog's dinner:confused

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
  1. How many downleads have you got?
  2. What are they connected to?
  3. What is your switching arrangement?
  4. Which LNBs are connected to which ports on the switch?

Once you post the answers to those questions it will be easy to tell you how to configure your tuners.

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
Thanks for answering Huevos!

Here are the answers (I hope) to your questions

I have two downleads (if you mean the cables between the LNBs and the receiver).

One goes from the dual LNB (Hotbird/Astra) setup to tuner A
The other goes from the single LNB dish (Astra 2) to tuner B
(I've toggled these around numerous times, but this is the connection at present)

I don't know what the switching arrangement is. I'm trying to get in touch with the technician who installed them, and I'll get back to you on that. He may have stopped work already - it's minus ten here, not much fun if you're mounting satellite dishes outside!

I do not have a physical switching box - the leads simply go from the LNBs into the living room. The Topfield, as mentioned, has only one tuner, to which I connected the Hotbird/Astra combo, which was more than enough for my purposes.

I checked the LNB setting on the Topfield for all three satellites - don't know whether this helps or not.

The settings are identical on all three satellites apart from their position in the DiSEqc 1.0 sequence.

LNB frequency: 9750-10600
LNB Power: On
22 kHz: Off
12v: Off
DiSEqc 1.0 : Astra 2 is no 1 of 4, Astra is no 2 of 4 and Hotbird no 3 of of 4

Other satellites (like Eutelsat 2F4) are 'disabled' in the DiSEQc 1.0 sequence.

By the way, I've tried having just one of the LNB cables connected. That should obviate the need of a switch I would imagine. But that doesn't seem to work very well either.

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
Hold your horses! I think I've managed to solve the prob. While I was writing the previous answer, I'd put the receiver on search: Tuner A on DiSEqC A/B on Hotbird and Astra, and tuner B on single satellite, Astra 2. Lo and behold, my long lost channels have returned like the prodigal son.

Pretty certain I did the same search several times yesterday. Still, who's complaining if it works?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Glad you've sorted the DiSEqC problem out DD. So many combinations with two satellite tuners. I have a 4-way switch to one of the tuners - one port for a motorised dish, others for 19E, 13E and 1W. Other tuner for 28E. So that needed a little time to set up for the various satellites.

Plenty to get your head around now with the box - many happy hours ahead for you :)

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
Spoke too soon I'm afraid. In my excitement over seeing the German channels appear (Astra 19E), I didm't notice until I'd finished putting them into their different bouquets that there were no Hotbird channels.

Just did a rerun, but it took half an hour to find absolutely no channels at all on the Hotbird satellite. Then the Dreambox went into slow motion, with every click of the remote causing the cogs to start rolling up in the left hand corner. A bit like an extremely sluggish computer.

I've turned the whole thing off at the mains, and shall let it mope for a bit. Perhaps it'll pull itself together.

But I think you've got a point with the switch thingummy.

I'll report back later this evening or tomorrow.

The quality of the picture is amazing to behold, however.

World-of-Satellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo 4K
GiGaBlue UHD Qaud 4K
GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K
VU+ Zero 4K
My Location
UK
Your tuner settings all look correct.

What I would recommend doing it get a set of motorised Enigma2 settings, opening them in Dreamboxedit then deleting the satellites that you dont need. Once done FTP them to you DM8000 using Dreamboxedit.

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
Looks like I've managed to lose every single channel. I did a factory reset (twice) and went through the setup wizard again. I've done a couple of searches using what I thought were the successful settings from this afternoon - not a single channel found on either Hotbird or Astra (there's nothing on Astra 2 that I want, so I don't if that's not working).

I'm beginning to wonder whether the LNBs haven't frozen themselves into inaction - but if they have, it would be the first time.

To World-of-Satellite, many thanks for your suggestion. I don't have motorised LNBs, so there's probably not much point in getting motorised Enigma2 settings, even if I know where to look (which I don't) or how to FTP them to the receiver with Dreamboxedit (which I don't have).

I've obviously made a major league mistake somewhere along the line, but where and what?

I'm reverting to my trusty Topfield for the evening. Good job I'm not too busy workwise at present!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
[quote name='Dog's dinner']I'm reverting to my trusty Topfield for the evening. Good job I'm not too busy workwise at present![/QUOTE]If you look in the Topfield setup you will be able to work out how the switch is set for your 19E/13E combination.It is possible you have port A & B back to front.

World-of-Satellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo 4K
GiGaBlue UHD Qaud 4K
GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K
VU+ Zero 4K
My Location
UK
[quote name='Dog's dinner']Looks like I've managed to lose every single channel. I did a factory reset (twice) and went through the setup wizard again. I've done a couple of searches using what I thought were the successful settings from this afternoon - not a single channel found on either Hotbird or Astra (there's nothing on Astra 2 that I want, so I don't if that's not working).

I'm beginning to wonder whether the LNBs haven't frozen themselves into inaction - but if they have, it would be the first time.

To World-of-Satellite, many thanks for your suggestion. I don't have motorised LNBs, so there's probably not much point in getting motorised Enigma2 settings, even if I know where to look (which I don't) or how to FTP them to the receiver with Dreamboxedit (which I don't have).

I've obviously made a major league mistake somewhere along the line, but where and what?

I'm reverting to my trusty Topfield for the evening. Good job I'm not too busy workwise at present![/QUOTE]

The only reason I said used motorised Enigma2 settings is beucase they'll have all 3 of your satellites in them. They can easilly be used on for multi LNB setups.

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
Huevos said:
If you look in the Topfield setup you will be able to work out how the switch is set for your 19E/13E combination.It is possible you have port A & B back to front.

Exactly what my satellite technician suggested on the phone this evening, making sure the sequence is replicated in the Dreambox satellite search parameters. I'd already looked up the DiSEqC sequence in the Topfield setup (posted above), and tried again this evening, swapping the cables so that the Astra 2 went into tuner A. But no joy there either.

I've had to record something tonight as well, using the Topfield, so there wasn't really much time to look into it anymore.

I think what I'll do tomorrow is flash the software again (if that's possible), and start all over again. The searches are pretty interminable.

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
World-of-Satellite said:
The only reason I said used motorised Enigma2 settings is beucase they'll have all 3 of your satellites in them. They can easilly be used on for multi LNB setups.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into the motorised Enigma2 settings tomorrow.

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
Made some progress today.

I thought I would check the DiSEqC positions again on the Topfield setup. I attached the cable from the dual LNB dish (Astra 19 and Hotbird 13), and was amazed to find Astra 2 channels working as well. I hadn't obviously expected to see any sign of life from the Astra 2 satellite. So, the three LNBs are clearly joined up somehow in a switch affair.

With this new information in hand I attached the now triple LNB cable and started a new "services search" on the Dreambox. Parameters were:

Tuner A

Config mode: simple
Mode: DiSEqC A/B/C/D
Port A: Astra 2
Port B: Astra
Port C: Hotbird
Port D: not configured
Voltage/22 kHz: off

I did two scans, first with the "send DiSEqC only on change of satellite" off, then with it on. (The searches, by the way, went much fast than yesterday evening.)

I netted around 1050 channels. Crucially, however, without the German TV and radio channels, and without Italian RAI radio 3.

I did a manual search for some of the classical music radio channels which I'm used to receiving on the Topfield, but with absolutely no success.

I must say, I find this completely incomprehensible. I think I'll try shuffling the port distribution. Just to see whether the secret lies there.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Is it possible that you have got the Astras on the DiSEqC switch and Hotbird on the single cable? That might explain why you don't receive Hotbird when you connect up with just the cable from the DiSEqC switch.

Edit - I overlooked the fact that you get all satellites on your Topfield :confused

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
Llew said:
Is it possible that you have got the Astras on the DiSEqC switch and Hotbird on the single cable? That might explain why you don't receive Hotbird when you connect up with just the cable from the DiSEqC switch.

Edit - I overlooked the fact that you get all satellites on your Topfield :confused

I thought of that myself, but connecting the Astra 2 cable to the Topfield actually only provides Astra 2 channels. Astra and Hotbird channels are still listed, but there's no signal. That would seem to indicate that the Astra 2 LNB is on the single LNB dish.

I'm going to do 3 tests. I've attached both cables (Astra/Hotbird to tuner A; Astra 2 to tuner :cool:. Starting with the same configuration as above, I'll enter the same satellite in all three active ports. For example Hotbird on ports 1, 2 and 3. If the number of channels exceeds what I get for that satellite on a normal run (with each port assigned to a different satellite), that should indicate something. It should therefore be possible by a process of elimination to find which port belongs to which satellite.

I'm not expecting much from this experiment. But it's worth a try.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Start from scratch. Delete all the channels from the Dreambox. Plug one aerial cable into tuner A. Leave the other cable out. Pick one transponder for each satellite with a known FTA channel. For example:

28ºE -> 11934 V, 27500, 2/3 -> Sky Promo;
19ºE -> 11934 V, 27500, 3/4 -> Arte;
13ºE -> 11919 V, 27500, 2/3 -> Canale 5.

Now do a single transponder scan of those transponders. After each search has finish check whether or not the expected channel has appeared. If it doesn't work as expected post the result and we can try to work out what went wrong.

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
Huevos said:
Start from scratch. Delete all the channels from the Dreambox. Plug one aerial cable into tuner A. Leave the other cable out. Pick one transponder for each satellite with a known FTA channel. For example:

28ºE -> 11934 V, 27500, 2/3 -> Sky Promo;
19ºE -> 11934 V, 27500, 3/4 -> Arte;
13ºE -> 11919 V, 27500, 2/3 -> Canale 5.

Now do a single transponder scan of those transponders. After each search has finish check whether or not the expected channel has appeared. If it doesn't work as expected post the result and we can try to work out what went wrong.

Excellent! Here's what I did: turned off receiver at mains; detached the 'Astra 2' cable; ran factory reset to get rid of channels; configured tuner A: port A Astra 2, port B Astra, port C Hotbird.

Manual scans performed on your suggested channels - plus some of my own.

What can I say? Everything went like a breeze! I've got my RAI radio 3, my German TV and radio channels - and a sensible method of getting them.

It's not that I haven't done manual searches before - must have done tens if not hundreds on the Topfield.

The experiment I mentioned above failed, needless to say, so did numerous automatic searches with different satellites on different ports/tuners etc. etc.

I'm still just wondering where the problem lay. Obviously the automatic scan was a hit and miss - mostly miss - affair. But why?

Well, back to more manual scans. Shouldn't take too many before I'm set up just the way I want.

many thanks so far Huevos - and Llew and the World-of-satellite representative.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nice logical approach. All credit goes to Huevos :)

newzapper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD, ASUS PC
My Location
Norway
And after the first two days, what about your first two months with this fine receiver?

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
newzapper said:
And after the first two days, what about your first two months with this fine receiver?

Funny you should ask, I was thinking of posting a sort of review of the past few months. I'm pretty bogged down in work at the mo, but I'll try and find time soon.

:)