New Section Opened

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've always liked popping away with my camera, not to achieve perfection, but to try and shoot something eye catching or interesting, I started off with an Ilford Sporty 4, then went on to an Olympus Trip and then a Pentax Me Super, followed by my first digital camera, a Kodak. That didn't last long, as it didn't have an optical zoom, so I bought a Fuji Finepix S5000 (which I still have).

I'm not very good technically, but with a recent investment in some high quality equipment, my results are sometimes accidentally quite good from an amateur's standpoint.

My latest kit is an Olympus E500 Digital SLR, with three zoom lenses and a 1.4x teleconterter. My pride and joy is the new Sigma 50-500 telephoto zoom, with whch I am having a lot of fun at the moment.:)

Tell us what equipment you have, whether it be a small pocket camera, or a high end model, we are interested. :)

Perhaps include some of your interesting or pride and joy photos. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
We have a pocket Olympus "point and shoot" job - about 3 years old now. On the nature theme heres a pic of Larch flowers my other half took earlier this year.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
And heres something I still have nightmares about - stripping our old computer system out over the summer. We ended up with about 10 tons of redundant equipment on the back of a 40 foot lorry! This is just some of the stuff.......

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Never seen those flowers before AS, nice photo.

that sure is a lot of old PCs. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Heres a butterfly orchid taken on a roadside down at the remote Borders town of Newcastleton. Bet you cant see this on the side of the road down Reading way Rolf!

Again taken by my other half - she has a better eye for nature than me - I tend to take pictures of little shunting locomotives on preserved railways around the country!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, no, it would be buried under rubbish down here.:)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I have a Fujifilm Finepix S7000 which is 6MP but doubles to 12MP electronically. It has 2 card slots for SD and XD and I have 512MB in each slot so no problem with storage. The macro setting is very useful and produces clear shots.

Witness my damsel fly picture which I posted last year.

And ......... who knows the name of the flowering plant in my garden?

maxpayne3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m funke, ST350, Dragon/T.REX, Prussian5
Self-built computer. ASUS
XP 2600+ 1G ram Hauppauge Nexus+CI
My Location
Leeds
Many more years ago than I want to remember I was semi-pro and worked in sports photography and any thing natural. My home was broken into and i lost everything. Not just the equipment but all the negatives as well. My soul died a little that day.

With a family, you have to take pictures and as the years have gone by I have worked my way back into this enormously rewarding hobby.

I now have a Canon 350 D with 'standard' lens + I bought a 70-300 Sigma.

If anyone wants pointers, please ask.

And bear this in mind, Cameras record images, "You" make pictures. I have seen works of art (yes, really) produced with a 'Box Brownie'! I have also seen photographers with state of the art Nikons, Canons, Hasselblads, even (god forbid) one guy with loads of dosh had a Leica; and none of them could produce a 'picture' to save their lives!

The man who I and half the planet consider to be the greatest photographer who has or ever will live, said this when asked why he had dedicated 80 years to taking photographs;

"Because you cannot print a memory." Who said it:-bigsmile

Max

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Analoguesat said:
. We ended up with about 10 tons of redundant equipment on the back of a 40 foot lorry! This is just some of the stuff.......

It is difficult to tell which were the pc's and which were the lockers, on second thoughts from the way you previously described them they were almost the same to begin with:-rofl2

I cannot claim this as mine it was sent by a friend in the Middle East, very cute though

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
maxpayne3 said:
Many more years ago than I want to remember I was semi-pro and worked in sports photography and any thing natural. My home was broken into and i lost everything. Not just the equipment but all the negatives as well. My soul died a little that day.

With a family, you have to take pictures and as the years have gone by I have worked my way back into this enormously rewarding hobby.

I now have a Canon 350 D with 'standard' lens + I bought a 70-300 Sigma.

If anyone wants pointers, please ask.

And bear this in mind, Cameras record images, "You" make pictures. I have seen works of art (yes, really) produced with a 'Box Brownie'! I have also seen photographers with state of the art Nikons, Canons, Hasselblads, even (god forbid) one guy with loads of dosh had a Leica; and none of them could produce a 'picture' to save their lives!

The man who I and half the planet consider to be the greatest photographer who has or ever will live, said this when asked why he had dedicated 80 years to taking photographs;

"Because you cannot print a memory." Who said it:-bigsmile

Max

Surely that has to be Henri Cartier-Bresson - and he started with a Box Brownie :)

Llew

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well you know the sunsets that I find facinating well here was 1/12/2006 from sunny Lancashire.

maxpayne3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m funke, ST350, Dragon/T.REX, Prussian5
Self-built computer. ASUS
XP 2600+ 1G ram Hauppauge Nexus+CI
My Location
Leeds
Hi Llew, yes it was and yes he did; I paid £125.00 for the publication "Photographer" in 1990. It was stolen. Life sucks:-rofl2

Max

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
Tell us what equipment you have, whether it be a small pocket camera, or a high end model, we are interested. :)

Perhaps include some of your interesting or pride and joy photos. :)

I am still using a Kodak DC240 from 2001. Battered, scratched lens and the real-time viewfinder hasn't worked since I dropped her (again) on a trip to Rome some five years ago. Can't take a focused picture within 4 feet, forget the flash as it doesn't work above 10 feet, and moving objects are a real joke.

Funny thing though, the battery drain was abysmal in 2002, but now she can take 500 'HQ' pictures on a single set of AA's, I must have disabled something not so essential inside the casing when she went for a swim last year.

Some piccys left in the memory card that couldn't get transferred into the laptop (beyond help). Some shots of Chimay in the second week of July, and then the cat (adjusted for brilliance), taken from the other side of the patio window.

_http://www.ihro.org.uk/2008/11/events/chimay2009/

Attachments

• Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 062.jpg
    Picture 062.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 38
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 55

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
And some of the personal artefacts of the same venue.

Going again this year, same five days just to recover from the beer overload _www.chimay.be

Attachments

• Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 071.jpg
    Picture 071.jpg