New to installing multiswitch systems

Reaction score
Website
www.runningrepairs.fr
My Satellite Setup
SKY TV, 80cm dish, Quad LNB, 50" TV (living room), 26" TV (bedroom)
Promax TV Explorer
My Location
France
Hi all,
Sorry if this has been answered before, I did search around a bit but haven't found anything conclusive.
I am updating a very old system which has 3 x satellites (28, 19 & 13 - all quattro) + terrestrial (French) coming in & feeding to 8 points.
The existing system was installed many years ago & from I can tell most of it can be binned & simplified (although still mostly working).
Currently there 2 old multiswitches (1 x 5/8 & 1 x 9/8). I have connected the 28 sat feed (quattro) & terrestrial to the 5/8 & it is producing signal to each room correctly but has issues with HD terrestrial channels (All the SD channels are fine).
I have installed a new terrestrial antenna (the same antenna I have installed into a number of other properties but nothing with this level of install) but as yet I have not amplified the signal (I wasn't sure if I needed to/would damage multiswitch).
At present the 8 outlets are:
3 x brand new TV's connected directly to receive & decode terrestrial signal + 3 x Humax HD Freesat.
2 x old TV's with Humax HD Freesat receivers & 2 x HD terrestial decoders.
1 x old TV with $ky+HD box & HD terrestrial decoder.
1 x remotely fitted $ky box with remote eye fitted to waterproof TV in swimming pool room.
1 x spare

My questions are:
How do improve terrestrial signal / prove where faults lie?
I have a Promax Prodig 5 explorer meter but it is new to me & I have not learnt how to fault find with it yet. Is the old multiswitch likely to be at fault? Should I amplify the incoming terrestrial signal or will that damage the multiswitch?

Can I remove all the old distribution equipment & simply install 1 x 13/12 mulitswitch (allowing for additional points to be added) which will allow for either 28, 19 or 13 + terrestrial at each outlet? All outlets already have triplex plates.
I realise that I must install devices correctly with corresponding Diseqc switching (again new to me but I'm confident I can work it out). I have read that $ky (& Freesat?) don't have Diseqc switching capabilities so they must be on #1 & the others just need configuring. I plan to install generic decoders to each outlet with a Diseqc switch fitted so that either UK TV or French/Russian/whatever can be watched at any point (as well as HD terrestrial). Will this set up work?

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go with the 13x12 switch, the newer Triax models have very little through loss on both IF and UHF, so no large dishes required, nor an overly strong terrestrial signal. Always best to put Astra 28.2 on the first four inputs due to lack of DiSeqC on Sky digiboxes as mentioned.

Regarding the HD terrestrial signals, you'll need to measure them with the meter for quality and see if there is an issue, amplification alone may not be the solution.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
French HD channels are MPEG4 and SD is MPEG2. Does the Promax Prodig 5 have MPEG4 capabilities? Can it show a spectrum? I suspect that you may find replacing the multiswitches might solve your problem.

When you installed the new terrestrial aerial did you lay new cable? If yes, was it TV grade or was it satellite grade? Best practice for TNT is to use satellite grade cable. Finally, can you run a temporary cable from the aerial to the TVs to test if that solves the problem?

And the real final question, whereabouts in France?

Reaction score
Website
www.runningrepairs.fr
My Satellite Setup
Promax TV Explorer
My Location
France
Great thanks rolfw.
How do feel about EMP Centauri multiswitches? This is the only brand I have installed before & I was happy with the results vs. cost.
Thank you too PaulR,
I am in the Savoie region. The Prodig 5 unfortunately only has SD capabilites so I am unable to test the HD channels but I have successfully installed a number of terrestrial antennas locally & received HD channels on the TV's without fault.
Based on both of your recommendations I will go for the 13/12 multiswitch & go from there.
Many thanks again to you both for your prompt replies.

Reaction score
Website
www.runningrepairs.fr
My Satellite Setup
Promax TV Explorer
My Location
France
Sorry I forgot your other questions:
The meter does show specrum (wave form) yes.
The cable was existing & appears to be the same quality cable throughout (satellite & terrestrial) - 4 thin coaxail cables in 1 large outer sheath. Not the cable that I would fit but it appears to have no problem transmitting satellite signal so I would presume that it isn't the problem with the terrestrial.
Yes I could run a temporary cable I guess & might just do that if I get a chance.
Thanks again.