Status
Not open for further replies.

snake007uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD --> Gigabit Network, 20Mb ADSL2 line
My Location
london
Ok, Just to confirm I received my box today and it took 3 hours to setup and get everything working. However I do not want to decieve anyone in thinking yeah 3 hours easy.

I have the following certifications BSc Computer networks, CCNA, RHCE, LPIC, SCSA so as you can tell the unix and networking part is easily covered. Also the fact that Jasmat document kicks a** :) I will be updating the document to cover the 800hd (may be more screenshots since there aren't any. However the document assumes you are clever enough to work out a few things (basically a techie).

Im off to enjoy my new box, I just wanted to thank everyone for their help.

one final word EVERYTHING YOU NEED, INFORMATION, SOFTWARE etc.. IS ALL IN THIS FORUM!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
jasmart said:
Of course mate, I've had a couple of requests. I'll need your email addy.
You should be able to upload the word document to the Satellites server so that everyone that wants it can download. The only real problem might be if you have loads of screenshots; the maximum file size for word document is 500KB. The solution is to wrap it inside a Zip as the limit for this type of file is 60MB.

In order to find the uploading facility you have to click the 'Go Advanced' button and the 'Manage Attachments' area is just under the posting box.

I don't have a Dreambox myself but I can easily see it being useful to anyone who is starting off down the DM road.

snake007uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
I will try an update the document also :) (obviously point the author as Jasmart). Ill get round to it asap. Please note this isnt a step by step guide.

sproot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none as yet getting dm800hd
My Location
scotland
hi m8
jasmart that is could you forward [Moderation] Email Removed
much appreciated

ta much

jasmart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, Dreambox 600 PVR, Intel Core 2 Quad 9500, 4GB Ram, Windows 7
My Location
UK
sproot said:
jasmart i do not have pm facilities , could you send on your word document. would love to see it,

much appreciated

Drugzter said:
@Jasmart, I am a comlplete noob to c/s, I am also new to linux but would like to learn as a hobby, I am looking for information on how to set this up, I am reading the threads I would appreciate a copy of your word document to help me along the way in my quest, I am unable to pm at the moment is there some way I can get hold of your word document , please

snake007uk said:
Ok, Just to confirm I received my box today and it took 3 hours to setup and get everything working. However I do not want to decieve anyone in thinking yeah 3 hours easy.

I have the following certifications BSc Computer networks, CCNA, RHCE, LPIC, SCSA so as you can tell the unix and networking part is easily covered. Also the fact that Jasmat document kicks a** :) I will be updating the document to cover the 800hd (may be more screenshots since there aren't any. However the document assumes you are clever enough to work out a few things (basically a techie).

Im off to enjoy my new box, I just wanted to thank everyone for their help.

one final word EVERYTHING YOU NEED, INFORMATION, SOFTWARE etc.. IS ALL IN THIS FORUM!

I'm really glad the doc was useful. As snake says, it's not a "for dummies guide" but then again it should give you the information you need in one place. If you get stuck, then research that bit or ask one of the experts on the forum. As the mod says, I'll get the document uploaded, most importantly I need to get some credits in there - this isn't just my work. I've just taken the information that's out there (in a multitude of posts) and tried to bring it together. Then, when things haven't worked I've amended or added comments. - GUIDE ATTACHED ON PAGE 2

jasmart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
So, as requested please find attached the guide which will try to point new starters in the right direction.

The guide is attached, I only take credit for putting it in to some kind of logical sense. I've taken other guides and posts and just taken the info needed and added my own changes when things weren't obvious or they didn't work. The first page just has some general notes, then it's an intro and then the numbered guide.

Thanks to all of those who's information was included. :-worship

sproot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none as yet getting dm800hd
My Location
scotland
cheers m8
will check it out and hopefully you can help keep me right,,

grasias

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Thank you jasmart.

It might even persuade me to buy a Dreambox! :-rofl2

toonarmy9752

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edision Argus Pingulux, 1600mm dish, twin 0.1db super high gain lnbs on 13 and 28east, WDLiveTV Hub Media Player with 1tb internal and 1,5tb external HDD, Toshiba Regza Tv, HP Laptop with 6gb ram
My Location
Mellieha Malta
I too am a newbie noth to this forum and the dreambox and would really appreciate the word document for the chronological information.. many thanks

snake007uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
Hey guys,

I am in the process of creating a new super speed DM600 Guide (which is straight forward). I am contemplating how detailed it should be in terms of explaining, otherwise if I kept it at high level it would only be a couple of pages :).

Ill post something up as well, specially for recognising the help jasmat gave with his doc, only fair to return to the community.

The updated version of jasmat doc may take a little longer as I get to grips with understanding the software in more detail.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
My penny's worth about these guides and tools:
This is supposed to be a hobby, not commercial enterprise to avoid paying subs. People that do this as a hobby should be prepared to do what you do with all hobbies: spend time on it, like reading about the various things and how you do them. Making these guides and tools appliance style is doing a lot of damage to the hobby overall as many people now enter it, not as a hobby, but to avoid paying subscriptions and this will cause the hobby much problems down the line. A few people playing with satellites is one thing, but the way this is going, the service providers are going to come after us big time.

All the information to set up all aspects of a dreambox is on this forum and others. If it is your hobby, spend time reading the forum. If it is not your hobby, go away as you are damaging our hobby and might even cause sites like this one to get shut down.

jasmart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
shumifan50 said:
My penny's worth about these guides and tools:
This is supposed to be a hobby, not commercial enterprise to avoid paying subs. People that do this as a hobby should be prepared to do what you do with all hobbies: spend time on it, like reading about the various things and how you do them. Making these guides and tools appliance style is doing a lot of damage to the hobby overall as many people now enter it, not as a hobby, but to avoid paying subscriptions and this will cause the hobby much problems down the line. A few people playing with satellites is one thing, but the way this is going, the service providers are going to come after us big time.

All the information to set up all aspects of a dreambox is on this forum and others. If it is your hobby, spend time reading the forum. If it is not your hobby, go away as you are damaging our hobby and might even cause sites like this one to get shut down.

I hear what you say shumi and I respect your opinion. A few of your posts were useful when I was reading up on things before the purchase so thank you.

But I'm sure you are way off the mark if you think that now, a Dreambox is being purchased as a hobbyists tool. Things have certainly moved on and people have now woken up to the fact that this certainly is a way to get around the Sly subscriptions. Even those, of which I'm sure there are many, that use a box in Spain to view Sly are as guilty. The rise of the clones (hmm a film title in there somewhere) is a result of the huge demand out there and China reacting to it. I'm sorry to say, if you want to keep this an elitist forum for enthusiasts only then there needs to be a bit more heavy moderating on posts such as these. I'm sure this would force people onto one of the many other DB/SatCard Sharing forums out there where people may be more willing to share information.

On a final note, yes I'm sure Sly will be coming with a vengance (I'm not trying to make up movie titles!?) because to them, whether you are tinkering 'to see whether it can be done' or to avoid paying over £50 per month for their offerings it makes no difference - it's illegal.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
I think you miss the point here: I for one pay my full Sky subscription and use the dreambox to watch other satellites for which I cannot buy a subscription (and I have tried). Providers like UPC Direct are as illegal as me watching without a subscription if they sell their subscriptions outside the area for which they are licensed. I am sad to say that, if they really wanted to, they could close down internet sharing tomorrow by merely reducing the time allowed to read the card. At the moment it is quite generous.
The death of Linux receivers are payservers and people that don't pay subscriptions. If things have 'moved on' to where you don't pay for anything, then it is a really sad day.
The real hobbyist tools are those that make it easy to use the box, like bouquet editors and the like. The bad tools are those that make it easy to set up card sharing etc. The latter will kill the hobby. It is not about being elitetist, it is about survival. If Sky lost subs to 200 people watching illegally, they could live with it and it is not worth their while to chase after them. When this figure becomes 10 000, then the picture changes as this amounts to £500 000 in lost subs per month or £6 000 000 a year. This is worth a significant amount of effort to elliminate.

If we carry on as we do, we will all be losers in the end as these boxes will disappear.

On a final note: 'tinkering to see if it can be done' is not illegal if you are paying your subs. At worst they could complain about you not using their box (as it is a breach of contract). Avoiding paying subs is totally illegal and a criminal offence - there is a huge difference.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Single Sat Dish and DM800
My Location
Ireland
I have to side with Shumifan on this. I have always maintained a sub, and after that its been interesting how to setup multiroom sharing and as a last sharing with a couple of buddies. But most of all the fun is derived from improving the system so that I can get proper EPG, so I can record while watching, and simply do with the system what I want to do with the system. I always hated having 5 million channels on Sly, I just wanted the channels I wanted. It is one thing to play with a system, its another thing to abuse a system. It goes back to the school days philosophy of a few people destroying it for all. If people wish to take personal gain out of their knowledge then thats just a pity and the point is missed

jasmart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Guys, don't get me wrong. I have a sub on my main Sly HD unit downstairs which I will keep. I was interested in getting this mirrored upstairs (multi-room) basically. Hence I came across the Dreambox and started reading. And, as a million others here I've spent weeks tinkering, driving the wife mad so I totally get that side of things.

The point I'm making is the internet has made the world a very small place. Sharing of information is so much easier and will always take place so the clock was always ticking on keeping the Dreambox, and other Linux based receivers a 'for enthusiasts only' toy.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
jasmart said:
But I'm sure you are way off the mark if you think that now, a Dreambox is being purchased as a hobbyists tool. Things have certainly moved on and people have now woken up to the fact that this certainly is a way to get around the Sly subscriptions.

On a final note, yes I'm sure Sly will be coming with a vengance (I'm not trying to make up movie titles!?) because to them, whether you are tinkering 'to see whether it can be done' or to avoid paying over £50 per month for their offerings it makes no difference - it's illegal.

Sky are worried about card sharing - we already know that. The next big software update is specifically tailored to start locking out the card sharers with some interesting anti piracy measures.

grahamrd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox, windows 7 PC
My Location
London
jasmart said:
So, as requested please find attached the guide which will try to point new starters in the right direction.

The guide is attached, I only take credit for putting it in to some kind of logical sense. I've taken other guides and posts and just taken the info needed and added my own changes when things weren't obvious or they didn't work. The first page just has some general notes, then it's an intro and then the numbered guide.

Thanks to all of those who's information was included. :-worship

I must be thick but I cant find the guide thats supposed to be attached. What am I doing wrong?

jasmart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
grahamrd said:
I must be thick but I cant find the guide thats supposed to be attached. What am I doing wrong?

Not thick mate. I removed the guide out of consideration for the 'hobbyists' here.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Therefore thread now closed

Status
Not open for further replies.