Newby requires help please!

SinceDoc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020 un-utilised ie no cam since new - 4 years! Just using it straight. Network of 3 pc's. (Work)
My Location
East Sussex
I bought a Dreambox 7020 with hard drive about 4 years ago. My first digi box because my mate David, who was into satellite tv, said this was the only box I'd ever need. I ended up erecting the 90cm dish and Manhattan diseq myself and got it working on several satellites. David gave up ladder work after passing the 16 stone mark. He also had an older Dreambox with a memory stick which kept losing its memory and all his channels. David promptly lost all interest in the hobby and is of little help. After 4 years I want to crank the 7020 up from just freesat. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started? "FAQs for Dummies" or a "How to get started" page somewhere? I've got the Dreambox connected to my computer via LAN cable (although they are not talking to each other yet.) I've been reading up on the forums and I think I need some things called a cam and an emu and maybe a loader but which cam & emu to buy? Hobbies include football (Chelsea,) Movies and Wife is from Finland. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. :-worship

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
SinceDoc said:
I bought a Dreambox 7020 with hard drive about 4 years ago. My first digi box because my mate David, who was into satellite tv, said this was the only box I'd ever need. I ended up erecting the 90cm dish and Manhattan diseq myself and got it working on several satellites. David gave up ladder work after passing the 16 stone mark. He also had an older Dreambox with a memory stick which kept losing its memory and all his channels. David promptly lost all interest in the hobby and is of little help. After 4 years I want to crank the 7020 up from just freesat. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started? "FAQs for Dummies" or a "How to get started" page somewhere? I've got the Dreambox connected to my computer via LAN cable (although they are not talking to each other yet.) I've been reading up on the forums and I think I need some things called a cam and an emu and maybe a loader but which cam & emu to buy? Hobbies include football (Chelsea,) Movies and Wife is from Finland. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. :-worship

If the intention is to watch encrypted channels for free, then it looks like there isn't much available nowadays. Perhaps on 1W, but not for long.
However, if you buy official subscriptions (from Finland for the missus, Premiere from Germany for football and movies, but check first if this possible with the 7020S), use the card readers and a software CAM emulator like CCcam, which would save you buying expensive PCMCIA CAM.
For this you need to setup the communication between the PC and the 7020S and the internet.
You will need to update the receiver image also.
Plenty of info in the Idiot Guide.