Noisy actuator

Dragon45

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Stand alone Sky system. 1.0 motorised dish with 12 inch actuator, 0.3dB MTI LNB, TM1500 CI+ Super,
My Location
South Wales
Hi all
I have an 12 inch superking(jaeger)actuator which has developed an annoying squeaking (not quite grating) noise. It still works but I am afraid something may be going amiss internally. Does anyone know if these units need to be lubricated or has anyone experienced similar problems before. Please can anyone explain simply how the actuator works, is it a simple motor which inturn drives gear wheel and the a a worm drive setup?
Cheers for now!

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
I have the same actuator which is only a month old, so no problems.
You must understand that as these things get older they will get noisier, as for lubrication give it a try, I do on mine.
A little bit of oil on the arm should do it, but then again I'm no expert on this.

Rupert

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox
My Location
Europe
It's normal, definitely no need to open it yet. I've used 18' actuator over 10 years now (regular - not heavy version, just lubrication every third year).. which really gives quite much noise :) ..

Dragon45

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Stand alone Sky system. 1.0 motorised dish with 12 inch actuator, 0.3dB MTI LNB, TM1500 CI+ Super,
My Location
South Wales
Thanks Rob I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.
Cheers for now!

Dragon45

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Hi Rupert and Rob is there any particular method you use to lubricate your actuator.
Cheers for now!

Rupert

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox
My Location
Europe
Not really special. I used product which was meant for "water pumps" and lubricates also when cold weather (if I remember correctly, it was to -20 degrees)

Your location does not have sandstorms, really arctic weather, or storms which bring salty water from sea to dish. But those who have such, might add so called "actuator arm weather boot", for example http://primefocus.com/products/Accordion_Boot.html?id=741 (not suitable for 12')

Dragon45

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Hi Rupert no arctic storms but I am living 150 yards off beach so salt and sand may be problem. I am thinking of trying WD40 as this is what I have to hand at moment. Can you suggest a more appropriate alternative?
Cheers for now!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Admttedly fairly temperate climate here Dragon45, bur I've always used silicon grease (Maplins etc.) on my actuator piston, !5 years and still working fine.

Llew

Dragon45

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Llew thanks for that. This may seem a silly question. But what part/parts of the actuator do you lubricate? Do I need to strip it down or open it in situ? Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers for now!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
No, just the piston (the moving telescopic arm bit).

Mine's a Swedish 'Arkivator' model, probably the best on the market at the time, and appears to be a sealed unit (apart from access to the wiring / optical feedback mechanism).

Don't know the particulars of your model, but I should imagine the original lubrication of any internal parts would have been sufficient for the lifetime of the actuator unless some ingress of moisture or dust has somehow caused any distress to the internal gearing of yours.

Llew

Dragon45

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Llew once again thanks. I will lubricate all visible moving parts and report back in due course.
Cheers for now!

Dragon45

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Hi all tried lubricating the piston tube on actuator and the pivot of the polar mount. I used silicone grease.
Still squeaking!
I think the problem lies internally.
Is there any way of lubricating the internal moving parts without dismantling the actuator. If so I will try, if not I will leave it alone as it still works but the other half is afraid that it will anoy the neighbours in the early hours.
Thanks to all for the advice given.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Are you sure there isn't a mouse stuck inside it??? :D

Personally, I'd give the insides a squirt with WD40, if it worked on my front door's hinges I'm sure it'll work on your actuator!!! :D

Dragon45

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Thanks for that 2cvbloke.
I would love to squirt wd40 into the actuator but on inspection there is no visible access apart from where the tube moves in and out of the actuator and a water drain hole at the base which is approximately 3mm in diameter.

I think I will clear away some of the silicone grease and try squirting wd40 into the point where the tube enters the actuator.

Failing this has anyone got a mouse trap. :-bash

roccky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125, 18'' actuator, vbox, tbs6922 & azbox
My Location
London
I was looking for info re maitenance of my 18'' jaeger actuator and I have found this thread. It seems WD40 was the popular choice 10 years ago, but maybe we have more specific products now for our actuators?

The actuator is one year old and and tube is starting to look a bit rusty. I also feel like it is getting less and less precise when I move the dish. Do you think it might need some lubrication?

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
WD40 is not a very good long term solution as it "washes" out any original lubrication that was still there and does not "stick" very well to the parts needing lubrication.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Be better off greasing the actuator than using wd40 as its not really a lubricant.

Some oil or grease is a better idea.

roccky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Glad I asked before doing it then! It is good to see humans getting wiser as time goes by (former posts were almost 10 yrs old!), although I am afraid that's also why we are in proccess of selfdestructing ourselves...

So, does anybody know any particular product I could use for that?

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Glad I asked before doing it then! It is good to see humans getting wiser as time goes by (former posts were almost 10 yrs old!), although I am afraid that's also why we are in proccess of selfdestructing ourselves...

So, does anybody know any particular product I could use for that?
WD-40 is the trademark name of a penetrating oil and water-displacing spray NOT a lubrication spray. This has been well known and posted on motoring forums for at least the last 30 years (it first came on the market in 1953 in the states).

roccky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
So which products are recommended then?