Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Theres certainly a whole load of unnecessary crap loaded as default in the E2 s/w.

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
World-of-Satellite said:
Btw, your order will be shipped today and should be with you tomorrow ;)

Looking forward to it :D

sonnetpete said:
I only use half of the features of VIX....mainly because I don't understand the other half. (what are 'cron jobs' anyway?)

Think of it as a timer - perhaps schedule a job to download new keys off the web.

sonnetpete said:
It's just sometimes they seem to forget what the STB is for....watching TV.

That's what my Sky HD box is for - the rest is toys :D

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Captain Jack said:
.....That's what my Sky HD box is for - the rest is toys :D

I don't have a $ky HD box, I use the Uno because of it's EPG support which allows me to set program reminders. I'll be setting it up with my multi-sat dishes. At the moment I'm using the DrHD, which isn't anywhere near as versatile but I consider as more of a 'toy'.

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Do you have to use CrossEPG sort of thing or does it have native support for most EPG types?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Captain Jack said:
Do you have to use CrossEPG sort of thing or does it have native support for most EPG types?

I'm really not sure LOL. Using the VIX image, I leave it on 28.2°, press the red button (not the one marked EPG!) and up comes a full EPG. If it ain't broke.....

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Interesting. How does it work for non-Sky channels? Full EPG or now/next only?

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
ViX is CrossEPG, downloads full Sky overnight if you tell it to.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Thanks Fergyc, had no idea what it was called! It seems to work with a full EPG on some Astra 1 channels and some (mainly MBC) channels on Badr/Nilesat.

It does beg the question, if the EPG embedded in the image works, why install other addon EPG services?

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
It's heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Can't wait to get home.........

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Learn from recent sagas and DO NOT BREAK IT !!!!!

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
sonnetpete said:
Thanks Fergyc, had no idea what it was called! It seems to work with a full EPG on some Astra 1 channels and some (mainly MBC) channels on Badr/Nilesat.

It does beg the question, if the EPG embedded in the image works, why install other addon EPG services?

Yeah, put it on ProSieben and it downloads the full EPG for all the ProSiebenSat channels

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
I dislike it so much Ive been thinking of selling it.
Just to clarify, it's not the Vu+ you've got issue with, it's E2 in general, right?

What I'm getting at is, I wouldn't like someone to overlook a fantastic receiver like the Vu+ based on opinions that are generic to all E2 receivers (Vu+, Dreambox, QBox, Clarke-tech/Xtrend ET series, etc), not just the Vu+.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
The EPG on Astra 1 channels and MBC is coming from the EPG data carried in the NIT table, so it is coming from individual transponders. CrossEPG will download the EPG data from the Sky and Freesat EPGs on 28ºE. Rytec, which is another EPG embeded in VIX, downloads by xml file from an online database. All in all you configure what EPG data, and for which providers/countries you wish to download and then from there on the receiver should keep the EPG up to date. Any providers/countries you don't include, those channels EPG will come from the NIT table and be saved to the EPG database if such data exists.
sonnetpete said:
CrossEPG is an add-on to E2, but now images embed it rather than consider it a plug-in. The end result is the same though... And some images (for example VIX) have more than one EPG so the user can decide which one best suits them.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Huevos said:
Just to clarify, it's not the Vu+ you've got issue with, it's E2 in general, right?

What I'm getting at is, I wouldn't like someone to overlook a fantastic receiver like the Vu+ based on opinions that are generic to all E2 receivers (Vu+, Dreambox, QBox, Clarke-tech/Xtrend ET series, etc), not just the Vu+.

I have only used E2 s/w on the Duo so I have no comparison points on how its implemented on other receivers.

However a simple case in point - on the 7020 you can use the number keys to move around the menus quickly. That useful feature has been removed from the s/w Ive used so far so its menu down down down down down down down enter instead of menu 6 or whatever.

Dunnoi it just seems unfinished and rough around the edges.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northumberland
It works in ViX, I can see why you miss it as it's quite useful

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
I have only used E2 s/w on the Duo so I have no comparison points on how its implemented on other receivers.
The image will act more or less the same on all receivers except where there are hardware differences. So VIX looks and acts identical on the Vu+ Duo as it does on the Clarke-Tech ET9000, and I assume the BH image looks/works identical on the Vu+ as it does on a Dreambox 800se. On the Dreambox 500 HD I've got a Nabilo image which looks completely different, but in reality it's just minor differences, a bit like changing your desktop preferences in windows.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
fergyc said:
It works in ViX, I can see why you miss it as it's quite useful

Another rough edge - when you go down down down you get to the bottom menu entry it doesnt roll over back to the top. You can get back to the top quick but its left.....

If you go up up up to the top menu option you dont rollover to the bottom - to do that you need right....

It is just illogical and annoying.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
fergyc said:
Yeah, put it on ProSieben and it downloads the full EPG for all the ProSiebenSat channels

How do you turn auto epg collection off - epg's are of no interest to me and its always kicking in when Im zapping. Now & next is more than enough for my usage

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
How do you turn auto epg collection off - epg's are of no interest to me and its always kicking in when Im zapping. Now & next is more than enough for my usage
The EPG is loaded in the RAM so doesn't need to wake up the hard-drive. Have you got picons loaded. If so and they are on the hard-drive that will really slow zapping. If you are using picons put them on a USB stick.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Picons are on the usb stick.

I dont WANT the bloody epg loading at all!