My Satellite Setup
Shared satellite
My Location
Swindon
Hi
Sorry if I am in the wrong place.
I have had an ongoing issue with picture quality on my TV
Last we we upgraded to a Samsung Qled - QE55Q60TAUXXU

Its not been a bad picture but dark scenes are very pixilated/ blocky (sorry not to know correct lingo) halo/haze on other images, and judder and spoils watching the TV in a low lit room in the evening
We have had a technician to look at the TV and replaced a panel but tell us its the Satellite Signal strength which is 57% and Signal quality 100%
So is it the Strength which is the problem?
Our set up we live in a two storey block of 4 flats with a shared dish, The TV has built in Freesat the other flats tell us they have no problem and through our landlord we managed to get a satellite engineer who came into the flat and only checked the connection on the wall and told us we had no problem and since we had a Samsung engineer who has told us it the satellite itself, reading up on things wondered if its the LNB ?
Is there any way of boosting the signal from inside?
Do we have to get our landlord to get the satellite checked again or pay to have it done ourselves
Apologies if message is in the wrong place but would like to have this problem finally sorted, if had know would have kept previous tv or cheaper model

Attachments

• IMG_20210419_164340.jpg
    IMG_20210419_164340.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Signal strength is not the problem, and signal quality and BER look fine. The problem is that low quality SD channels are never going to look great on a large television.

Blockiness in dark scenes is a sign of over compression - perhaps lowering brightness will help to hide it.

As for halos, this is what happens when the sharpness setting is cranked up - turn it down to zero. All 'sharpness' does is draw black or white lines around areas of contrasting colour.

Juddering can be caused by motion interpolators. Turn off all motion 'enhancements' and begin from there. The ones which reduce image persistence or introduce 'black frame insertion' can improve motion no end, though flicker can become apparent.

DJ2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Shared satellite
My Location
Swindon
Thanks for your reply
I can understand having the picture issues on on SD channels or catch up iPlayer's
The Samsung non HD / SD channels are poorer than my previous LG TV at half the cost and 'Which' mentioned this
But these issues are on HD channels, 4K Netflix/Prime and really disappointing
All enhancements are turned off and never had them on, and have gone through all the settings but nothing helps
Pictures are taken close up but issues can be seen sat 10 ft away

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_203619 2.jpg
    IMG_20200709_203619 2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20201109_181708.jpg
    IMG_20201109_181708.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The issues are not related to your Satellite signal - that's all fine.

Poor reception doesn't manifest itself in the ways you describe, so the culprit must be the TV itself.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
It should be possible to enter a 'non-Freesat' mode. Then manually scan:
Frequency: 12441
Polarisation: V (vertical)
Symbol Rate: 29500
FEC: 8/9
Modulation: DVB-S2 QPSK

It should find two 4K demo channels. If you still see problems on these channels then it's time to send the television back. I agree from the photos it looks bad. I know someone with a larger version of this television and they don't have any issues.