Postcode not found

Johnvt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat box in france in the alps. Satellite dish placed on roof in new appt block. Don't know what type.
My Location
Chatel, France
Hello! Thanks for letting me join. My problem on my freesat box is that its getting good signal strength and quality. Then when i have to chose postcode to set up my channels it errors out each time and says "postcode not found". Same if i use other postcodes or the default region. Not sure if relevant but when trying to do channel search every 3 seconds signal strength box switches from normal to blank and then back again.

Important to note is that im in france and probably most importantly the very first time i plugged it in i was asked to select a satellite. I think i didn't chose astra and chose the wrong one. I did a factory reboot but I'm not asked to select again. No where in settings does it tell me what i selected nor how to change to the right Astra satellite. Cant find this online either. Any advise would be really appreciated! Many thanks. John

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Which Freesat box are you using? I'm surprised at you being asked which satellite as this sounds like non-Freesat to me.

manic01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM5402 mk1/2/3/4 TM1500 TM Mini various TM Nano various TM600 TM F3/5 TM Twin etc etc TD110
My Location
GB
Only need first 3 or 4 digits of postcode, not sure if relevant to your issue.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
A further thought. Is this a new installation? Are you sure you have the satellite dish pointed towards the correct satellite?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Is this a communal dish? If so it's probably pointing at the wrong satellite.

Johnvt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat box in france in the alps. Satellite dish placed on roof in new appt block. Don't know what type.
My Location
Chatel, France
Thanks all for the replies! Yes that must be it. Its a communial building with 10 appartements. I plugged in my tv without a box in between and get many hundreds of rubbish french and German language tv. Does that confirm that its pointing the wrong way? Many thanks for your help!

Johnvt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chatel, France
Which Freesat box are you using? I'm surprised at you being asked which satellite as this sounds like non-Freesat to me.
The box is this one!

Attachments

• E6B30F3A-B917-4799-8266-68CD4D3135BE.jpeg
    E6B30F3A-B917-4799-8266-68CD4D3135BE.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 13

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Thanks all for the replies! Yes that must be it. Its a communial building with 10 appartements. I plugged in my tv without a box in between and get many hundreds of rubbish french and German language tv. Does that confirm that its pointing the wrong way? Many thanks for your help!
Unfortunately yes, it is probably pointing to Astra 1 19.2° east, whereas Freesat is on Astra 2 28.2° east. You will need to have another dish installed, I'd guess at least 1.2m but others who live closer may be able to give a more accurate assessment.

Johnvt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chatel, France
Thank you. Makes sense! My appartement balcony is probably too small. What a shame. Another newbie question - the Astra 1 - are there any options for proper UK or Dutch Tv. Without a box i get hundreds of junk french and german channels. Last question on the freesat box - is it strange that it was saying i have good strength and quality? Or is likely to be of the Astra 1?

Attachments

• 0D0F22BD-26B0-4A81-9F01-D4455D160BAF.jpeg
    0D0F22BD-26B0-4A81-9F01-D4455D160BAF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Satellites share similar transponders, so we'd need to know which transponder the receiver is using, to make sure.
Is there any menu option to manually scan a specific transponder, instead of going through the setup process?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Not much UK or Dutch television on 19.2°E, Dutch television (encrypted) is mostly on another satellite at 23.5°E, though only a small dish will be required to receive it in France.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Last question on the freesat box - is it strange that it was saying i have good strength and quality? Or is likely to be of the Astra 1?
As others have said, yes it'll be Astra 1. SES-Astra tend to use the same frequencies and channel spacing on their satellites which explains why the satellite box was showing good strength and quality as it could lock onto something that it "thought" was familiar.

Johnvt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chatel, France
Thanks again everyone. All your help and explanations much appreciated. Sent the box back sadly.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Unfortunately yes, it is probably pointing to Astra 1 19.2° east, whereas Freesat is on Astra 2 28.2° east. You will need to have another dish installed, I'd guess at least 1.2m but others who live closer may be able to give a more accurate assessment.
Not if there is already more than one dish up top and the communal system is set up for a DiSEqC switching.

Worth a go in any case before sending back to the supplier, or have a chat with block maintenance in the morning.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Not if there is already more than one dish up top and the communal system is set up for a DiSEqC switching.
The LNB settings (at least in Freesat mode) on the Freesat 4K are unconfigurable, might work if the 28.2°E dish was on the first port :confused

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The LNB settings (at least in Freesat mode) on the Freesat 4K are unconfigurable, might work if the 28.2°E dish was on the first port :confused
I cannot see the model number of the box from the image. Does it have DiSEqC switching in the menus or not ?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ah, if it has only wideband tuner settings (two port ) it is highly unlikely.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
It's the Arris Freesat 4K non-recordable, they seem to detect the LNB type on first boot or factory reset going by the the owners we've helped out here before. Looking at the manual there is nothing to adjust, it just states what type of LNB it thinks it's connected to. Have not seen if non-Freesat mode offers any extra functionality.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It's the Arris Freesat 4K non-recordable, they seem to detect the LNB type on first boot or factory reset going by the the owners we've helped out here before. Looking at the manual there is nothing to adjust, it just states what type of LNB it thinks it's connected to. Have not seen if non-Freesat mode offers any extra functionality.

If the chipset is the PS5517 in the Freesat version then there is the ability to enable DiSEqC 2.0.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The earlier - Humax - machines had this access point.

MENU > SYSTEM > DIAGNOSTICS > OK
Press the following sequence of keys
RED GREEN YELLOW BLUE GREEN YELLOW BLUE.