problem with the LNB?

krassi22

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
cyprus
Hello All,

I am experiencing problems with one of my dishes. A couple of days ago we had a very thunderous and rainy night and in the morning there was a msg "No or Bad Signal" on 99% of the channels. Only about 10 channels were still coming and going, until more rain and lightning hit us. Now, none of the channels can be viewed. The picture of the channels that worked a little bit after the first dosage of bad weather still comes on in the form of colourful patches and bits of images but quickly disappears. The signal quality of these channels varies between 0% and 10%, but the quality of most channells is always 0%.

I am certain that the dish has not moved the slightest, because there wasn't any wind, nor has my other dish moved (as a matter of fact, it is working perfectly). However, the LNB (of the problematic dish) seems to be soaked up in water and there appears to be some inside it, as the plastic cap has been dameged by the sun/humidity throughout the years.

My questions are: Is the problem that I am experiencing almost certainly due to the faulty LNB? Will it work again once it dries up (or can I take it off, dry it well and place it back on)? Is there a chance that the LNB was damaged because of the lightning we had?

Thanks
krassi

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
There is a slight chance that if you take the LNB down, remove the remnants of the old cover and dry it off thoroughly that it might work again. If it does then you can try using cling film to seal the end but to be honest it'll rip when you least want it.

The best bet is to buy another LNB.

PaulR

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If it appears to have water inside it, then it is almost certainly the source of youre problems, you mst also check to see that no water has filtered through to the cable.

You may get away with drying it out, but for the cost of a new LNb, is it worth it?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, snap PaulR. :)