Problems in South of France

cgw59

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky (3 Receivers,Thompson, Panasonic,Pace) & Tiscali broadband,Foretec 4200,Humax VACI-5300.
My Location
Northern Ireland & Biot France
Hi,
I hope someone can help me, I have just returned from my holiday home in south of France At Biot Antibes where I have an 80cm dish and a cheap Fortec Star box from maplin. I have used a compass to get me what I hoped was astra2 and used a Fringe sat finder to tune it in. I have a signal strength of 90%-95% and a quality of 75- 80% on both Astra and Eurobird, the problem is when I go to the epg and select any of the channels that are from the uk all I get is the message "no signal", I can receive countless numbers of foriegn channels from arab countries, Madrid tv, poland france and loads of german channels, I have checked the signal on what I assume is one of the normal transponders for a sky box i.e. 11778 27500 etc and have a signal that is perfect. but I cannot figure out how to set or check the fec on the box, what am I missing, I am back home now in N.Ireland but will be going again next month and would really like to get it right. Thanks for any hgelp you can give. cgw59

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You are on the wrong satellite, looks like Astra 19.2 East, so you need to move the dish futher to the East and down a bit.

cgw59

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky (3 Receivers,Thompson, Panasonic,Pace) & Tiscali broadband,Foretec 4200,Humax VACI-5300.
My Location
Northern Ireland & Biot France
Hi Rolf,
Thanks for your reply I will try that next visit, approx how much down would you suggest ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Just try nudge, nudge, nudge eastwards first. This should get you in roughly the right position and then lower it just a touch. You will probably find the signal meter will be a good friend here!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
2.8° to be exact. I'd be inclined to drop the dish elevation a tad first then adjust the azimuth Easterly. Either way the elevation adjustment won't be a large movement, just a touch as mentioned by paulR.