Recording on PC

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
mhku said:
Gemini Manager has a red button called "REC" which would indicate (to me, at least) that it records the TV signal sent from the DB via the LAN cable onto my PC - as Gemini Manager runs on the PC. DB500s has no hard drive :(
I'm running Hydra at the moment, so I wouldn't know this

mhku said:
Yes, an online programme guide like Radio Times but for satellite tv- not Lyngsat as that only seems to list satellites, transponders etc.
have you tried http://w*w.eurotv.com
or another one : h**p://tv.voila.fr/chaine_alpha.html

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Plenty of good posts to read! I forgot to subscribe to the thread :(

Will give it a go as soon as I can :)

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
To answer a question in the Idiot Guide on this topic, you only need Videolan to playback on the pc. The default settings will do. Regards, pcd.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Well I finally installed cifs and mounted a folder on my hard drive. No error messages on the DB. (Followed the cifs "how-to" guide with no probs :) ).

But when I try to record using IHAD Gemini Manager the DB shows an error message along the lines of unable to access mount. What's wrong? The IP address and folder name are fine (I've entered "drembox" as the DIR as that's the real and shared folder name, without the drive letter).

I've also lost the "record", "play" functions on my DB...

Suggestions?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hmmm. Are you on automount? When you disconnect mount and remount, do you get the message exactly as per instructions in the idiot guide??

I never seen the DB loose the record function, maybe you need a reboot or maybe a new installation of the image. I never experienced any problems, other than once in a while a litlle bit of a delay when I press the record button until the red light starts to blink.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I lost the record function when I tried to edit the remote rc xml file to use the mute button for language. Will check the messages; set to automount.

CHeers for reply ;)

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
mhku said:
I've entered "drembox" as the DIR as that's the real and shared folder name, without the drive letter

I assume you have entered 'dreambox'. :D

Also the subdirectory should be 'movie' not 'movies'. Regards, pcd.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I've made a fodler called "dreambox" on my F: drive, added a user called db and set up sharing for db on it. no sub-folders. it mounts OK (from the D:cool:.

But when I try to use Gemini Manager to record an error message pops up on my DB:

"Record failed due to inaccesible storage".

costasd3

Dreambox Emu Tamer
Reaction score
mhku said:
I've made a fodler called "dreambox" on my F: drive, added a user called db and set up sharing for db on it. no sub-folders. it mounts OK (from the D:cool:.

But when I try to use Gemini Manager to record an error message pops up on my DB:

"Record failed due to inaccesible storage".

Unmount it if mounted
Make a subdirecory under dreambox and name it movie. Then mount the dreambox direcory under /hdd not /mnt that is the default mount point.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I just did all that and no joy. So I switched off my Firewall (Zone Alarm) and it is now recording to the movie folder!

Thanks for your help again :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
mhku said:
I just did all that and no joy. So I switched off my Firewall (Zone Alarm) and it is now recording to the movie folder!

Thanks for your help again :)

YOU DID NOT TURN OF THE FIRE WALL??????

I did not know you had to do this...Is there any way of letting the firewall know that Dreambox is ok??

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
To be honest I did 3 things at the same time: create movie folder, unmount/ remount and turn off the firewall. Tonight I tried it with firewall on so I guess it was the lack of folder called "movie" (although it wasn't mentioned in the .pdf "cifs how-to").

I just need to work out how to record using the handset...

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
T_G said:
YOU DID NOT TURN OF THE FIRE WALL??????

I did not know you had to do this...Is there any way of letting the firewall know that Dreambox is ok??

Dreambox communicates OK with the pc with ZoneAlarm turned on, lan is a trusted site. Asks for permission each time. To download directly from the internet to the DB, ZoneAlarm must be turned off. Regards.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
mhku said:
I guess it was the lack of folder called "movie" (although it wasn't mentioned in the .pdf "cifs how-to").

The DB local mount /hdd/movie is specific to the image, nothing to do with cifs in general. May be different eg /mnt/movie or movies in some image, it is a question of finding out. Regards.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
@ pcd: Ahh, now I understand! Thanks for that :) (movie folder)

As to the Firewall, I added the DB IP into Zone Alarm as a trusted IP.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK, I got another question: I have heard that there are certain settings that one can do to the network settings or the network card that improves the quality of the picture. When I watch a recorded movie it sometimes does break up the picture a bit, or one gets small disturbances. I am not sure if it is in the file during the recording or during playback, but I am sure there are certain settings that can be set to optimse this.

Anyone?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Is that the MTU? Should be around 1432 - 1500? (from memory).. Also turn off virus checker if writing to pc when recording. To check if it is the recorded film on the pc or the network, play the .ts on your pc (vlc is supposed to play them, and so does Windows media player). And is your network 10/100 and CAT5, or wireless?

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
In the db cifs config people have tried changing the rsize and wsize to different combinations of 8192, 4096, 16384, 2048 etc to get better result. I have been quite satisfied with the standard 8192 so far. It it also suggested in the official forum that some pixellation may be due to the basic limitations in the smaller boxes, for which nothing can be done. Regards.

toxic candy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500-S
My Location
France
I must be really really really stupid.... it's a shame i'm an IT admin !!

I shared a folder d:\DM500. i gave permissions to "dreambox" on the share, i gave permission on the folder and all childs full control.
I created in there \hdd\Movie and \Movie (to make sure it would find it)

I went on the DB and edited the mount:
192.168.0.4 CIFS
dm500
/mnt
rw.nolock
nolock.rsize=8192.wsize=8192
dreambox
dreambox
automount on.

rebooted... and still....
I have access to the folders in the file mode... i see \hdd\Movie and \Movie
I can even play a movie in mp2 placed in one of the folders....
BUT I CAN'T RECORD !!!!! it always says "record failed to inaccessible storage".

I have a DM500-S, Gemini2.2.0.28.08.2005, Camd3.803

pliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiz any ideazz ?