RTL on Astra 19.2

bobdisk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AB IPbox 9000HD & Humax Foxsat+ HD, and about to upgrade dish, dont know what for yet!
My Location
Near Heathrow, UK
I am trying to get RTL on Astra 19.2, using settings listed on Lyngsat, King of Sat and FlySat, but am not having any success. What am I doing wrong?:confused
"Astra 19.2, Freq12187, SR27500, Horiz, dvbs, fec3/4, mod qpsk"
I get a few encrypted channels, but no sign of any RTL channels. The pvr is an AB IPbox 9000hd. Can you guess why I am after RTL, brmmm brmmmm :-worship F1 !!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
According to flysat, Modulation is MPEG-2, not QPSK.

According to your Profile, you only have a fixed dish ............... aligned to ????

List a couple of the Encrypted Channels you get.

Don't forget TF1 on 9E, for F1 too.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Are you sure your dish is pointed at 19.2E? Can you please list some of the channels, and frequencies, that you're able to view.
RTL is on 12188 H 27500 and you should have no problem picking it up.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, I suspect the dish is at 28E and picking up Eurosprot, TCM, ESPN etc.

bobdisk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AB IPbox 9000HD & Humax Foxsat+ HD, and about to upgrade dish, dont know what for yet!
My Location
Near Heathrow, UK
I must admit my dish might want see-ing to. It is an elliptical s$y dish that was left by a previous occupant. I moved it slightly E when I fitted a quad lnb. I now have a Humax foxsat+ as well as the AB IPbox. I can get (I think) 19.2, 23.5, as well as 28.2. I must admit I was surprised when 19.2 first came on. As an aside, (probably to prove that the dish needs attention?), the EPG on the Foxsat takes ages, sometimes 10 mins, to finish "recieving information"
I will make a list of stations later.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will only get one satellite from a static dish with a single LNB, it may appear that you are scanning channels from other satellites, but all you are doing is scanning the same satellite using a different frequency list.

The only way you will get RTL if you can at present view the UK channels is to move the dish Westward and slightly upwards towards 19.2 East.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Errm, no, you can only get one Satellite cluster with one LNB on a single dish. The fact that the LNB is a quad is entirely irrelevant.

I suspect you've fallen into the trap of scanning other "Satellites" (which are merely editable data tables, nothing more) and shouting "Eureka" when seemingly getting results.

The reality is that those results are actually Channels from the very Satellite your dish is aligned to, not any other Satellite - and this arises from the simple fact that frequencies and other parameters are re-used across the arc: This efficient use of capacity is only possible because of the impossibility of receiving adjacent Satellites with a single dish (There are some exceptions, but they don't apply here)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Lol - would have got there quicker if the torrent of words hadn't grown like topsy! :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
One more thing: The Foxsat EPG has two modes: If you press Guide, it re-populates from scratch, which takes forever, but if you want instant EPG press Schedule then Red instead. That's an archived EPG, but generally accurate and you can then use it for setting reminders and recordings straightaway.

In non-Freesat mode, you'll only get "Now & Next" data for UK Channels and anything between nothing at all, Now & Next or several days worth for "other Satellites".

bobdisk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Near Heathrow, UK

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Don't see why not ................ you could hang washing off it.

bobdisk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Near Heathrow, UK
According to the listing sites, that is exactly what has happened. Some of the recieved channels I get are: Comedy Central,Eurosport UK, ESPN, Sky Living and TCM, all come from 28.2, not 19.2. The FEC ties up as well. All are encrypted. It seems the pre-programmed satellite lists in the reciever are misleading. It must be set by parameters, not satellite name. I understand the Freesat EPG is actually on 23.5? So it must be possible to recieve more than one sat at a time? When I said that I moved the dish E, I meant that I moved it slightly towards 19 from 28, that is towards west, as you say.
I found the different EPG modes in the Humax. I do not understand why it takes so long to update the EPG when using the guide mode. (I do understand the difference between cashed and "fresh" )

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The Freesat EPG comes from a Transponder on Eurobird 1 at 28.5E.

To all intents and purposes, this is co-located with the Astra cluster at 28.2E.

So, as stated, it is not possible to receive more than one Satellite with a single alignment and a single LNB.

It would create immense problems if it were possible, given the restricted frequency band available for DTH service within Ku Band!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Your dish is pointing at 28E not 19E. The receiver frequency tables are just a set of databases, and if you point your dish at one satellite, then scan a second one you will get the channels scanning in from the FIRST bird where the transmission characteristics overlap.

One of our installers in your area could easily put up a 70-80cm dish with lnb's for 28E / 19E / and even 13E to give you summat else to watch if you are interested - we have several folks who cover your area.