Sat finder for novice

juandan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digi box mini dish
My Location
Norfolk, England, uk.
can you tell me a good sat finder for a novice, I've seen them on ebay for a fiver, but I think all they do is get you a signal, I don't think it tells you what sat you have found, is there a sat finder that tells you what satellit you have found or are they to expensive for the normal home user

G

I use one of those simple indicators and they are fine for home use - you can find out what Satellite you are on by doing a scan and seeing what Channels come up. It's no hardship. That said, once you've aligned a dish a couple of times, you need nothing but a deft flick of the wrist to home in on your target.

I don't see any merit in shelling out for an all singing and dancing machine unless you are doing a lot of installations ie Doing this for a living.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
You can buy a meter with satellite ident software, but your spend around the £300 mark minimum. A simple 'needle meter' is fine for the enthousiast and will peak on a received signal but as said, your need to scan the receiver to see what satellite your on :)

juandan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digi box mini dish
My Location
Norfolk, England, uk.
That great I'll just buy a one off ebay, thanks for your help

coloured pony

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA only , sl 65 comag,80cm motorised sited
1300Ft in highest village in Wales,next door to coed llandegla.
My Location
Bwlchgwyn,Wrexham County
rai uno said:
I use one of those simple indicators and they are fine for home use - you can find out what Satellite you are on by doing a scan and seeing what Channels come up. It's no hardship. That said, once you've aligned a dish a couple of times, you need nothing but a deft flick of the wrist to home in on your target.

I don't see any merit in shelling out for an all singing and dancing machine unless you are doing a lot of installations ie Doing this for a living.

Fully agree with the comment, I have spent this morning pulling whats left of my hair out,just bought a new motor,Moteck in Maplin clothing,its marked fortec star, however the good news is I bought it from Beeston
Cheshire(nr Tarporly) wednesday horse market & traders market.

I paid just over £20 for it,knowing the dealer,who did not know what the price was, anyhows I could draw in Turksat but not Hispasat, I knew I had done what the web site said(this one), I presumed the motor shaft was bent, but no not that. I asked SWMBO to check the co ordinates, for me, she then said what is on the dish is in correct, I looked at the dish
my old 5 year comag 80cm,always a pig to aim.

There it was I had put on the plastic dish retainer upside down,this
as two sets of figures each side, removed the dish,replaced the retainer
the correct way, set the co ordinates and bingo all sats at first attempt
Turksat is strongest now 85%, Hispasat 50%, so a slight nudge is needed or skew when it stops snowing. I wonder how many others have done this without realising,I really need a magnifier to read the scale.

So now I can watch the Donkey being thrown off the tower and the bull fights on Xmas day. All on Hispasat, thats family entertainment.
And El Gordo (the fat one) as an horses duver. I could not get 30W before too near the house,so new post(Ex Wrexham Council footpath sign they through away in the skips) new dish farm, excellent plumbing,and now I can pay myself an extra Gin & Tonic.

BTW, I told the dealer who sells junk tools etc, only SOR, he agreed.
and of course no box, its never been used it seems.
Bob

coloured pony

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA only , sl 65 comag,80cm motorised sited
1300Ft in highest village in Wales,next door to coed llandegla.
My Location
Bwlchgwyn,Wrexham County
Good Morning Rai.

On DS there is a thread Motor Problems,the guys motor is stuck and he says he has no instructions, mine froze, the way out of this is.

switch off power to dish, get swmbo or another ready, tell the other
to count 50 or whatever, go to the fortec star motor,hold both east & west buttons down, the indicator will show orange prior to all this,
when the power is turned on by another,it will blink and then turn green
when it is green the dish should steer with either button.
I agree this does away with paper clips, but you need another.
If anyone needs the instructions they are downloadable.
hope this helps. I can not respond to DS as I quit membership.

Bob